Twins with different nap schedules/sleep needs

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jdorourk, Dec 10, 2012.

1. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Does anyone have twins that have different sleep needs? My twins are almost 8 mos old. They usually wake for the day within 15 min of each other. Pretty much they've always napped similar to each other. We are on three naps/day. DD is starting to finally give me longer naps but DS is not, so we've had some days where DD does 2 naps and DS does three, so it looks like DD is getting close to going to 2 naps where DS is not. They also used to be able to stay up between naps about the same time but lately DD is pushing wake times and playing longer before her naps while DS conks out quickly.

I understand they have different sleep needs but I am also worried I'll never be able to get out of the house again! For those with twins like this did you just go with their needs and sacrifice getting out of the house or did you force one twin on to the others schedule? How much overlap did you have on nap dropping.. i.e. how long before one twin caught up with the other on dropping a nap.

Thanks! Jessica

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would probably just go with the staggered schedule for now since it likely won't be for long. The vast majority of babies are at two naps by 9 months-ish. But then, nothing stresses me out more than an overtired baby. ;)

3. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I often did staggered naps about this time. If i needed someone to conform it was always DD (she is better about missed sleep).
    For me from 7 to 9 months it was really tricky figuring out what they were doing sleep wise. It felt like i was always trying to figure out what they needed and there was no consistency.

Moving toward 9 months you should see them start to do better with 2 naps. Nine monhts is also when you begin to determine nap time more from the clock than from their cues.

Most 9 month olds will nap at 9am and 1pm. For us it was a rough transition to this schedule and like you LOs, DD switched to 2 naps quite awhile before DS.

ETA- if you haven't read it, you should read 10 month olds have stopped sleeping well
    for a preview as to what is coming for your LOs.

I am currently loving this age! After all that trying to figure out what they are doing, i just put them down when the clock says! The transition is tricky but once you're there.. Ahhh.

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

One of mine always dropped a nap a few months before the other, going from 3 to 2 naps and from 2 naps to 1 nap. One of them still needs about an hour more sleep than the other.

What worked for us was to keep them on the same schedule for the shared naps and provide the opportunity for an extra nap to the baby which needed more sleep. I.e. at your babies' age we had shared naps around 11 am and 3.30 pm (I think, I am no longer quite sure of the times) and one of them would usually also nap for 45 minutes at 9 am. I established the afternoon nap as the nap in the pram so I was free to get out of the house in the afternoons. But I agree with PP - this is temporary and my first priority was always to avoid overtired babies.

5. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

I can't wait for two by the clock naps.. will make it so much easier to schedule things and get out of the house!