Two of the same or different ?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rebekahj, Jan 5, 2010.

?

How do you decorate your same gender twins room? (Linen, art, etc)

1. Two of everything

40.0%
  2. One of everything so they share

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Different things for each child

60.0%
  1. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about an issue that will probably come up for the rest of their lives - should I get two of something and be 'fair' or get two different kinds of things and hope that they're happy? I'm going to finally do something about their bare walls in their nursery and I found these great wall art that you can personalize -- Land of Nod Now I have to decide whether to get two "hello my name is" alphabet posters with each of their names or get two different things. Problem is that I don't like any of the other choices as much as this one and I want to be fair. This might get easier when they're able to state their own preferences but I don't want to wait until then!

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Those are SUPER cute! I think either way is fine. I would go with two of the same b/c I need symmetry. I went to Micheal's and got their names in cardboard, painted them and hung them up. They are the same color. Since their names start with different letters, I think it will look really cute in their room!

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think either way it's going to look cute! :wub: I don't have same gender twins but I do have same gender children. I do try to get them similar things sometimes (the girls have almost identical dresses this christmas), but also let them be individual's sometimes too.

If you like the alphabet ones the best, go for 2 of those! However, if you like 2 different items equally, get one of each!

And yes, once they start showing more interests, it'll get much easier to personalize things! :)

4. ChaoticMum

ChaoticMum Well-Known Member

I think when it comes to this you're best to go with what you like best. So if its one you prefer, do two of them. Later in life you can let them choose.
    My older boys are 16mths apart and the same size, so they share clothes. I try to buy a variety but sometimes they just want what their brother has - and we end up with two of the same toys, two of the same shirt etc. Its THEIR choice now.

5. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

If there's something that only has one option that I like (e.g. their winter coats ;) or the posters you're talking about), I would get your favorite one for each child rather than giving one child one you don't like as much. For things like crib skirts and sheets, they match. We don't have any personalized wall art in the nursery though so I didn't have quite that issue.

6. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

We have 2 fraternal girls (didn't know what the gender was)and did matching white cribs and sage green bedding. I like the room to look symetrical so there are the cribs and a shared dresser. For artwork, my friend's 4 yrs old daughter painted them pictures. I got some acrylic paint and canvases and had her paint whatever she wanted. She did a great job and even had some green in them to match our colours. The best part is you can paint over canvas as much as you want to when its time to change up the room the girls can paint their own paintings, likely abstract:) As they get older they will probably have an opinion about whether they want the same or different. I like choosing things within the same theme but slightly different, after all they are individuals but you want the room to look pretty. We also didn't buy two of anything such as bouncy chairs and swings. Decided they could share/alternate, our house is too small for all these big items.

As far as clothes, I'm getting frustrated with family members that keep buying identical outfits for both. Right now the girls are a pound apart and the bigger one always gets to wear things first and for a short period of time they wear the same outfit then the littler one ends up with two of the same in her wardrobe. What a waste. They would benefit from at least the same outfit in two colours. My MIL was the worst offender at xmas, tried to explain this to her but she didn't get it. She also bought everything in size 3 months, which the girls just turned so they wont get alot of wear out of it. Sorry about the rant!

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When my older two girls shared a room, I bought the same for the big things (bedding, etc.) then I would add different smaller touches for each girl.

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In this situation, if there is only one that you like then I would get two of that one. If it were me I'd get the two that I liked the most.

9. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Something like that, I'd get two of the same. As pp said, you can have smaller things that are different to make it more individual for you girls.

10. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

We have two of EVERYTHING. Absolutely positively everything we own is in a set. I would never decorate their room differently. Too much work and someone would be mad.

They are fight over everything type kids so.. much easier for mommy!

I think this would be different, obviously, if you had b/g twins.

11. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I ordered two of the posters I like. :)