Two sacs, one fetal pole?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by JenClark74, Jun 15, 2007.

1. JenClark74

JenClark74 Active Member

I had my first OB appt and u/s yesterday. We're not certain how far along I am b/c I have PCOS and really crazy cycles. But I think we are between 5.5 and 6.5 weeks. There were two sacs on the u/s, but we could only see a clear fetal pole with flickering heartbeat in one sac. My OB couldn't tell for sure if the other sac was empty or not, so is sending me to the peri for another u/s in 2-3 weeks.

I am just wondering if anyone else had this happen early on, then found two heartbeats at a later u/s, or if I am destined for VTS. I didn't know if the second baby could just be a day or two behind. My OB actually didn't think we'd be able to see anything yet, so was surprised when were able to get a good pic of the one baby.

Thanks!

Jennifer

2. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I hope everything turns out fine. Keep us updated. :hug99:

My earliest U/S was at 10 weeks and we could see both in there floating around, so to speak.

3. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I had my first u/s at 6 weeks and they could clearly see 2 sacs but only one heartbeat. I had a follow up u/s a week later that showed 2 hb's! Good luck!

4. Lcoots

Lcoots Well-Known Member

I had this happen with my first twin pg..I unfortunately lost the other baby, but your still very early and babies can measure a few days to a week behind each other..You will definitely know something at your next appt..HUGS and Keep us posted..

5. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

I had an u/s to confirm pregnancy at 8 weeks and apparantly, my doctor saw one pole and one heartbeat. At our 12 week appointment, there were two!!! She was just as shocked as we were.

Nushath Fathima likes this.
  6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I went in at 6 weeks 1 day and they saw two "empty" sacs. I went back at 7 weeks to confirm nothing was there and they found two heartbeats!! There is definitely hope!!

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I went at 6w1d for an u/s and there were 2 sacs and one hb and the sac w/o the hb was measuring 2 days behind - at 7w4d we had 2 hb's!!!

I think my son was the hb and my daughter was just the "sac" at the first u/s as she measured 2 days behind my entire pregnancy...

8. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

We had an emergency internal ultrasound at 8 weeks and could see both hearts beating. Good Luck to you and your babies :)

9. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

5.5 weeks is early to reliably see something on the u/s. So try not to worry and just hold out 'til your next u/s - hopefully you will see two hearts beating in a couple of weeks. I know - easier said than done!

10. xjustdizzyx

xjustdizzyx Well-Known Member

Good News! The same thing happened to me! at 6.5 I went in and found 2 sacs with 1 HB and 1 fetal pole. 1 week later, both heart beats and I'm 16 weeks now with Twin Boys! Goodluck and let us know!

11. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

Count me in, at 6.5 weeks there were 2 sacs, one strong heartbeat. The second sac was much tinier than the first, I was told by the RE that the empty sac would likely not develop, although he did give it a 25% chance. At 8.5 weeks, 2 sacs and 2 babies, although Baby B was a week behind. By 10 weeks both babies were the same size.

Good luck!

12. JenClark74

JenClark74 Active Member

Thank you all for your encouraging stories! While I am still pretty much in shock over the prospect of twins (no fertility drugs, no twins in my family, hard time getting pg with PCOS, and miscarriage in 11/06), I am definitely praying there will be two heartbeats at the next u/s!

Jennifer :rolleyes:

13. Babygus0

Babygus0 Well-Known Member

At 5.5 weeks we could only see one sac, at 6.5 weeks we could see two sacs with a flickering of one heartbeat. At 8 weeks we saw both hearts beating strong!! Good luck and keep us posted

14. Suz7171

Suz7171 Well-Known Member

I had my first u/s with my boys at 5 weeks and there were two sacs and two fetal poles.

15. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

This happened to me! I had my first u/s at 7 weeks, and there was only one heartbeat. We went back at 9 weeks, and there were two heartbeats. I hope that you get the news/results that you are hoping to hear. Please come back and let us know what happens.

16. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Ditto very early to see much of anything. this is exactly why my peri would not do u/s until 7-8 weeks even though mults were highly suspected with my rapidly rising beta hcgs! We clearly saw two sacs and h/bs at 7.5 weeks. GOOD LUCK!

17. Nushath Fathima

Nushath Fathima New Member

I had my u/s at 6 week had 1hb and one empty sac and again follow up u/s at 7 week same results pls pray for me I wish I could hear 2 heart beat by week 9 in sha allah