Two sick babies, one frustrated mommy

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Amycplus, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Hi All,

My babies have their first colds and are in a bad way. We are doing the best we can to manage the symptoms but the brutal part for me is being on my own with them during the day when they both need me so much more than usual. One is getting better and is sleeping well (though longer still, to recover) but the other just caught it and wants to be held all the time. I can't just abandon the other baby but my sick bub won't sleep without me holding him right now so he is not getting the rest he needs. I just feel like I can't give either of them what they need. Ah! Just needed to vent I guess. This too shall pass...

Thanks for listening,

Amy

2. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

Hang in there! We are going through a bit of a sick phase too, though it doesn't sound as bad as yours. Is there someone (high school student, neighbor) who can come and hold the sick baby so you can tend to the other or get some rest yourself?

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I think we've all been there :( It's rough during the day when you start to wish you were an octupus, with enough arms to cuddle both babies, and then take care of your own needs.

Do you have a baby carrier or sling? That way you can carry around your sickie baby, and still have arms free to deal with the not so sickie baby.

I would get me a water bottle, my phone, the tv remote's, some diapers/wipes and burp clothes, and camp out on the couch for the rest of the afternoon. Days like that, all you can do is get through it! ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

:hug: Amy, hope things gets better for you soon.... camping out in the lounge area with everything within arms reach seems like a good idea, especially if you aren't able to find someone to come over and give you a hand for a couple of hours... perhaps there's a local church group who have volunteers to help out in these situations..?

5. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Oh no so sorry to hear! Hope they get better soon!

6. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Poor you, poor babies! Those days are hard.
    I did a lot of baby-wearing and it made things easier, especially if one of both were sick.

7. Tobaira

Tobaira Well-Known Member

I feel for you Amy... my girls are also going through their first colds and it is miserable! How can such little babies produce so much mucus?! We've started spending 15 mins in the bathroom with a hot shower running every night before bed which helps a little. But there's nit a whole lot of sleep these days in our house either.

8. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. We have turned a corner today (I hope). My guy who would only be held slept in his crib for 2.5 hours this morning! It was a long nap but he needed it! As we clear his sleep deficit, he seems to sleep better and be more himself. Yay! I really appreciate the support and solidarity!

1 person likes this.