tylenol and motrin

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by smitch, Jul 14, 2009.

1. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

Here's a question for those of you experienced mommies. Zoe had tylenol at 11am (2 hrs ago). Can she get motrin now since it is a different medicine? Or is that too much medicine? She's 6 mos. old and 14lbs.

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can alternate Tylenol & Motrin usually. In a baby that young, I would double check with the ped before doing it, but I alternate them with my kids for stubborn fevers.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

The only time I was told to do that was when one of mine had 105 fever and it wouldn't budge. It was given at the ER. I know some docs say it's ok, but, I would either call the ped to make sure it's ok, or I would give Motrin only. I think it works a little better.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I alternate for stubborn fevers.

For aches (or teething) I would give just tylenol, for fevers just motrin, but when they're cranky and just one medicine doesn't cut it, I give both.

5. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

In the hospital where I work we do it all the time. I alternate between the two at home as well if really necessary. It's safe. :)

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I heard you can do both but a few hrs apart. Not both at the same time. I've found Motrin to work better for pains. My boys have yet to have a 100 degree fever (knock on wood!) so I don't have fever advice.

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I have been told both. But I would call the Ped and see what he or she says in a 6 month old. I will tell you that the hospital says its okay and my Ped says its okay however, she doesnt like to do it all the time because it masks the fever and she likes to know how high its getting to know how to treat. :pardon:

8. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

you can alternate but at least 3 hours apart. this is what I vwas told by my ped. and only for stubborn fever. with DS ( older one) I notice motrin work the best for fever and tylenol I keep for cranky or during the day so he would be too active as he usually is after motrin.