Typing

Discussion in 'General' started by Stacy A., Oct 25, 2011.

1. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I keep meaning to post this and forgetting. I found a great website for typing lessons. It is all on the computer and encourages them to look at the screen rather than at their hands. So far my kids have done the first four lessons and will be able to play some of the games really soon. We do the lessons for about every day until they have reach 10 WPM (words per minute) consistently, then we add the next lesson. Errors lower your WPM, so I encourage them to go slower with fewer mistakes. I don't let them use the backspace key, yet, since I want them to work on keeping their fingers on the home keys for now.

2. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I bought Typing Instructor Platinum this year. The boys love it. I thought about buying the kids version, but this seems to be working out just fine. What's the site you found?

3. Stacy A.

I guess posting the site would help, huh? :laughing: I got distracted when the kids finished their copywork and needed me.

Here it is.

2 people like this.
  4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

That's ok. I've been so distracted in Aleks, Khan Academy, and Thinkwell that I accidentally IM'd a friend a java question instead of my husband. I get it. LOL!!! I'll have to check the site out! The boys might love it too.

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Here is another program that our school is using. I watched the kids work with it, and they really liked it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/

6. Stacy A.

That looks fun! I might use that one after they have the home keys down. I played the first lesson and it requires all the home keys at the same time. We are doing it a little slower right now and doing two letters (both pointers, both middle fingers, etc) at a time. We'll mix them in a couple more lessons. They are still working on the muscle control needed for their smaller fingers.

7. mommyofmany

mommyofmany Well-Known Member

i LOVE the bbc site--thanks for the reminder! i need to add this to this semester's lesson plans!