Uncomfortable Sleeping... any tips

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by nynjcouple, May 12, 2009.

1. nynjcouple

nynjcouple Member

I am at week 33, and i wake up every hour. Usually I have to turn over, go to the bathroom, or drink water. I bought a pregnancy pillow, but find it too difficult to maneuver, so now I just put a pillow between my legs.

Does anyone have any advice for getting more comfortable so I can sleep better?

Thanks,
    Karen

2. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

OMG.... sorry, no advice, totally in the same boat. Not quite 29 weeks here, and I wake up about every two hours to pee, every hour to turn over or "reposition" myself. I swear, I wake up so often, I feel like I am already practiced for the times I will have to get up with infants in the house again! LOL

3. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

Same boat here too. Thought about sleeping in the recliner...atleast giving it a try anyway. The couch actually has been more comfortable for me... I can position my back up against the back for support. Have you tried a tummy wedge? Boppy makes one that just is a wedge of a pillow that supports your belly (or is that the pregnancy pillow you are talking about?) I use it some nights and some nights not.

I do try and avoid drinking anything when I get up to go to the bathroom. If I drink anything when I get up I'll just have to get up again a little bit later.

4. Little June Bug

Little June Bug Well-Known Member

I totally feel your pain. I"m 34 weeks and have the same problem. I cannot even turn over without waking up and "guiding" my tummy over to the other side. I think it's worse in that I"m trying not to disturb my husband as I moan/groan and get up to pee/drink every hour. I found the last 2 nights on the couch was more restful as I could turn on the light and read if need be, I could rustle around and prop tons of pillows to my heart's content and not feel as if I"m causing DH to lose sleep. It's tough BUT take it all day by day and know that soon the babies will be here.

OH, I have been doing some self massage in the middle of the night too....my legs cramp up so I just lie on my side and use a closed fist to rub up and down my legs in a slow but somewhat deep massage....it really helps with the cramping AND last night before bed, I did some basic leg stretches and that helped alot too.

Hang in there!!!

5. kacy79

kacy79 Active Member

Congratulations to you for still being able to reach your legs!

I have the same problem. I take unisom, tylenol pm or benadryl once or twice a week if I have not slept good in a couple of day. The couch does provide excellent back support, give it a try.

6. fancybeltran

fancybeltran Well-Known Member

My doctor told me I could take over the counter Unisom and Benedryl or just some Tylenol PM. I am high high risk so I have been taking them and I can finally get some restful sleep. It is great!!! Check with your Dr. first though

7. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

QUOTE(nynjcouple @ May 12 2009, 10:48 PM) [snapback]1311239[/snapback]
    I am at week 33, and i wake up every hour. Usually I have to turn over, go to the bathroom, or drink water. I bought a pregnancy pillow, but find it too difficult to maneuver, so now I just put a pillow between my legs.

Does anyone have any advice for getting more comfortable so I can sleep better?

Thanks,
    Karen

i sleep on the couch now rather than the bed, i'm 25 weeks and have had a heck of time sleeping throughout the pregnancy. i put a pregnancy pillow under my belly, two under my head, one big fluffy one between my shins and another between my feet, all while making sure my back is fully supported with either fluffly blankets or more pillows. i generally sleep on my side.

but i'm in the same boat as you, i wake up on the hour every hour....it's terrible. have you tried taking like tylenol pm or ambien? they are both pregnancy category b medications and are completely safe. i would try that if nothing else you are doing i helping you sleep.

good luck, i know how awful it is!!!

8. Jenn79

Jenn79 Well-Known Member

I can't help you with the waking every hour to have to go to the bathroom or get a drink b/c I am in the same boat. However, I have found that proping myself up (i have 5 pillows that I stack ever so meticulously) to sleep helps with the discomfort.