up from 4:00am-6:00am, why won't he SLEEP!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by elhardy26, Dec 20, 2010.

1. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

DS is a great baby during the day, eats, plays, sleeps, no problem...

And he generally sleeps from 11pm to 4am, which I am VERY greatful for, BUT, once he wakes up at 4ish for a feeding, he won't go back to sleep. He usually poops during the feeding. The whole feeding usually takes about 45 minutes (is that typical for a BF baby?). But then he is WIDE awake, and if you try and put him to sleep with rocking, rubbing forehead, burping, he just fusses, spits out the binkie, and will not sleep!

is this typical for 1 month and what can I do? I am totally wiped out from being up for that long at night, and unless my DH is home and can get up with the kids at 7:30, then I don't get to make up the sleep in the am.

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Unfortunately I think it is pretty common to have weird sleeping habits at 1 month and their schedules are in constant flux until they get to a point where they're STTN. 45 minutes for a feed isn't unheard of for a BF baby... sometimes they just like to take their time. I always found the morning feeds to be longer as they were quite hungry too.

You could try bf'ing laying down. Some moms are really successful at this so they can get some additional rest while their baby eats. Also, if you could pump for him maybe your husband could get up with him and give him a bottle every now and again while this phase lasts so you can sleep through. In general though I think just keeping a routine of quiet, low light, low activity during the "night time" and a regular daytime routine will eventually get him settled. It's so tough when they just want to be up all night, and I can't imaging having to be functional during the day too!

3. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I agree I would try nursing laying down. I breastfed my third child and this is always how I bf in the middle of the night/early morning. I would doze and then she would go back to sleep and I would either leave her in bed with me (DH worked nights so I had the bed to myself) or I would put her back into the bassinet. I also agree about keeping things as quiet and dark as possible.

4. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

yes, this sounds normal at such a young age. Just hang in there. You are so lucky to get a 5 hour stretch at that age! I would have KILLED for that as my longest stretch of sleep was 1.5 hours for 2 months! OUCH! hubby worked nights...anywho, my DD did this and I know it was gas that was making her unable to settle down and sleep. She outgrew it by a couple months. :youcandoit: :youcandoit:

5. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

This was one habit I could never break with my daughter. She did this for a long, long time. Eventually she outgrew it. Hang in there... hopefully it'll all behind you soon.