Update-in the hospital with pre-eclampsia

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by desolation_anonymous, Oct 23, 2008.

1. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

So won't go into too much detail but I officially have pre-eclampsia and have been in the hospital since Saturday. I will be here until after the babies are delivered.

Right now I am 34 weeks and 3 days. The day after I am 35 weeks, the perinatologist will do an amnio to see if the babies' lung function is mature. They have about a 20% chance of them being mature.

If so, they will induce labor. If not, they will check lung function again at 36 weeks. I THINK if they are still not mature they will deliver at 37 weeks.

If the pre-eclampsia becomes severe they will deliver immediately. They will not deliver before then. There are no signs that I will go into labor early, so I will likely be here a while.

My blood pressure is being monitored, as is my blood work. They are listening to the babies' heartrates 3X a day. I need to ask if they can check amniotic fluids on the boys too at least weekly (since they are mono/di), depending on how long I am here.

I am really, really scared for me and the babies.

I now have some internet access thanks to my wonderful husband, who ordered a hard to find cable to turn my cell phone into a modem.

Thats about it.

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks for the update. Please let us know what the amnio says about the babies lungs. :hug: I can imagine how scared you are right now. Please know there are many success stories on here with preemies, see my avatar for 2 of them. :) Keep us posted and hang in there. :hug:

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:hug:'s momma. I'm sure you are scared and worried, but I'm so happy they are keeping a close eye on you. :hug: Keep us posted on things are going.

4. zanybebe

zanybebe Well-Known Member

I've worked with many mama's in the same position as you. I've seen many success stories with thriving babies and healthy mamas after delivery. I know that bedrest in the hospital is hard. I wish you the best of luck and praying for mature lungs on your little ones plus, good #'s on all your bloodwork and blood pressure readings. Thinking of you...

5. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

GL!! Hospital bedrest is so hard. :hug: You are doing an amazing thing for those boys. Everyday you can keep them in your tummy is 3 days they don't have to be in the NICU!

6. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

:hug: to you ~ You are in the right place & hopefully being on hospital bedrest will allow you to keep those little ones in for awhile longer :)
    Keep us posted on the amnio :hug:

7. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

Hugs to you! Hospital stays suck, no other way to put it but you've done so well to make it this far! Have you talked to your dr about possibly getting the steriod shots for their lungs? I got them about a week and a half ago when I went in with PTL. He said he is actually going to take me off the meds that keep my contractions down when I hit about 35 weeks so I expect to have them around then. He considers 35 weeks as full term for twins, so that could be a good thing for you.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

8. Lorem Ipsum

Lorem Ipsum Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kimani @ Oct 23 2008, 10:26 PM) [snapback]1039811[/snapback]
    Have you talked to your dr about possibly getting the steriod shots for their lungs?

I'm hoping we don't get the steroid shots... we've already had them once, and recent studies have pointed to a correlation between mothers who received multiple doses of steroids (betamethasone) and an increased level of hyperactivity and slower than normal overall growth in their children. If at all possible it's better to wait for their lungs ro develope without additional steroids.

9. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this - but you are definitely in the right place to keep you and your babies safe - and you are at a great gestational week! :hug:

FWIW - my boys had an amnio for their lung maturity at 35+1 and my MFM told me there was an 80% chance of maturity - and they were mature and she delivered that day. No breathing issues at all - except from fluid from the c-section in Baby A. Only needed O2 for 24 hours due to the fluid in his lungs.

10. Joanna416

Joanna416 Well-Known Member

I wish you the best of luck - you will be in my thoughts..... :hug:

11. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

Im sorry!! :hug: Update us as much as you can!!! ;)

12. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

Thank you so much everyone for your kind thoughts!

No steriod shots- we already had some at 24-25 weeks due to lots of contractions, and the doctor said studies show repeat shots after 34 weeks don't do much good and he would be more worried about any possible harm to them since even if they had to be born before lungs completely mature they should be OK at this point

13. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(desolation_anonymous @ Oct 24 2008, 02:06 PM) [snapback]1040485[/snapback]
    No steriod shots- we already had some at 24-25 weeks due to lots of contractions, and the doctor said studies show repeat shots after 34 weeks don't do much good and he would be more worried about any possible harm to them since even if they had to be born before lungs completely mature they should be OK at this point

I'm glad you got the steroid shots before. They will help! Hang in there. :hug:

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I will be thinking good thoughts for you and the babies. Hang in there and keep us posted with how you are doing!

15. NicoleMarieLG

NicoleMarieLG Well-Known Member

Thinking of you!

16. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

I had a very similar situation to you! I wanted you to know something that my NICU dr told me about my girls (who were just born on Wednesday at 34w5d). He said he could tell from my placenta or bloodwork (not sure which?) that the girls were naturally starting to prepare for an early birth because of the pre-eclampsia. He said that they automatically started to develop faster and their lungs started maturing faster as a survival mechanism because of the pre-e. I didn't get any steroid shots and the girls' lungs were great when they were born! Please let this give you hope! Babies are amazing! I remember you from previous posts and I KNOW that you and your twins are real survivors and fighters!!! Try and take it easy now and get rest and drink lots of fluids. Most importantly, try to keep your spirits up and be positive!

I will be thinking of you! Keep us posted on how you and the babies are doing. Take care!

17. kierasmom

kierasmom Well-Known Member

Good luck! I hope your boys are safely in your arms soon.

18. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

:hug: you are in my thoughts and prayers

19. ANGELA SHAW

ANGELA SHAW Well-Known Member

best of luck to you and the babies
    try to relax and rest in the hospital. i was in for a month before my son wsa born and 1 week after. get your husband to bring a deck of cards and a few good books.
    good luck