update

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Beth R, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Beth R

Beth R Well-Known Member

My Ob is admitting me tomorrow. She said the weight difference is 26% between them. They will give me steroid shots and try to get Baby B to gain some weight(not sure how they do that). I will be on strict bedrest. If she doesnt gain any weight they will do a c-section in about 2 weeks. They would only be 32 weeks then. She said without intervention she would most likely not make it. Please tell me some good things about 32 weekers.

Hugs,
    Beth

ps what do you pack? I will be on strict bedrest.

2. Beth R

Beth R Well-Known Member

My Ob is admitting me tomorrow. She said the weight difference is 26% between them. They will give me steroid shots and try to get Baby B to gain some weight(not sure how they do that). I will be on strict bedrest. If she doesnt gain any weight they will do a c-section in about 2 weeks. They would only be 32 weeks then. She said without intervention she would most likely not make it. Please tell me some good things about 32 weekers.

Hugs,
    Beth

ps what do you pack? I will be on strict bedrest.

3. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

From what I gather, I think 32 weeks is pretty darn good! The outlook for those two little ones being healthy is definitely in your favour.!! 30 weeks seems to be the big milestone when future complications really drop off - and you are already there! The NICU forum has a chart where they list information on preterm babies, based on weeks of gestration. If you look at that, I think you'll see that babies born at 30 weeks + do very, very well! Let me/us know how things are going - I also have the same discordance between my two girls and I will be thinking of you! I may be in the same situation in a week or two myself. I'm just hoping I can get to 30 weeks at this point! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

4. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you're going through this. [​IMG] I have a good friend whose water broke at 32 weeks; her twin daughters are now 7 and completely healthy, with only a few days NICU time.

Also family friends who are 44 year old twins and were born at 32 weeks, obviously without the superb medical care for preemies we now have...both of these men are totally healthy as well.

Lastly a good friend had her twins at 28 weeks. One twin was in NICU for a few months and had a difficult first year but now both are totally healthy 5 year olds who play flag football!

Best of luck to you!!!

5. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

32 weekers generally do great, especially since you have the steriod injections. Mine had a significant wieght difference too, Madison was also having alot of decels that we didnt know were that bad until I was admitted at 29 weeks. The girls were born at 32+3, 2 lbs 12 oz and 3 lbs 12 oz. Both came out screaming and never needed oxygen. They quickly went to the lowest level part of the NICU. Brooke came home at 19 days wieghing 4 lbs 9 oz and Madison was discharged at 22 days at only 3 lbs 7 oz, she was too small for a regular car seat so we had to buy a car bed. The NICU stay was very easy this time around, my ds is a 27 weeker and spent 73 days in the NICU

6. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

From what I have read, the chance of the babies not having any long term problems drops at 28 weeks... so 32 weeks sounds pretty good! There had been a chart posted here a little while ago with the ages and birth weights of twins from the site, and the average for 32 weeks was about 4 pounds. That would mean only a couple weeks in the hospital, if they let them go at 5 pounds.

As for what to pack... I'm thinking a lot of books, suduko puzzles, and if you can... a laptop! I don't know how strict they are about staying in bed, but I know they make waterless shampoo, if they limit your shower time. Good luck!

Helen

7. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm sorry to hear you are going into the hospital and I'm surpised your OB is being so gloom and doom.

They will monitor you and your children closely and they can deliver if you either baby shows signs of distress.

As others have said, 32 weekers do great! We'll keep good thoughts.

Miriam

8. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I'm glad you'll be at the hospital now, where you can get constant monitoring. And the steroid shots will help a lot! A friend of mine had a little girl at 30 weeks due to PROM brought on by placenta previa. She had the steroid shots earlier than that at 26 weeks. When her little girl was born, her lungs did really well (don't know all the specifics)...she stayed in NICU a while, but is perfectly normal now!! Lots of babies do well at this stage. [​IMG]

9. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] GOOD LUCK!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

10. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

32 weeks is great!! Because we've been on a weekly roller-coaster, I've been following "preemie progress" since 28 wks. I can tell you that at 30 wks I felt a little better, but at 32 wks, I had very little anxiety. There's a chart on the NICU forum that has outcome stats for preemies - that's a great one to reassure yourself against any long-term problems. Then try this website:
    http://preemie.info/cms/modules/news/
    There's a ton of stories people have posted about their preemies - if you search through you'll find lots of 31-33 week-er stories that were very encouraging for me!
    and I like this one:
    http://www.babylinq.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=93

They'll put on weight by making sure you stay in bed and are hydrated all day long - that's my guess!
    I'm sure you're worried, but you've done SO WELL so far - keep the faith!! [​IMG] [​IMG]