***UPDATED***Moms of 12m boys that were 3-4 lbs when born

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nikki_0724, Dec 13, 2006.

1. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

The boys were born at 34w6d weighing 3.13 and 4.13

Yesterday was our appt for RSV shots and they didnt gain any weight in the last month at all and one actually lost... I dont know how much b/c this office does weight in kg not lbs so I thik he only lost a few oz. thats is there scale was right. The RSV clinic weighs with cloths on only onesies and such but our peds office weighs totally naked. Im worried but I called their ped. office and they said not to that we would figure everything out on Friday (1 year well visit appt)

Has this ever happened to you? The Ped. office said that they are slow growers but I would think weighing only 3-4lbs at birth and weighing 18-20 now would be good.

What do/did your 12m old boys weigh?

Did they ever go a whole month and not gain?

I know the office said dont worry but I cant help but feel like Im starving my kids and I feel like a bad mom now.

Any advice to get me through till our Friday appt would be great.

2. nikki_0724

The boys were born at 34w6d weighing 3.13 and 4.13

Yesterday was our appt for RSV shots and they didnt gain any weight in the last month at all and one actually lost... I dont know how much b/c this office does weight in kg not lbs so I thik he only lost a few oz. thats is there scale was right. The RSV clinic weighs with cloths on only onesies and such but our peds office weighs totally naked. Im worried but I called their ped. office and they said not to that we would figure everything out on Friday (1 year well visit appt)

Has this ever happened to you? The Ped. office said that they are slow growers but I would think weighing only 3-4lbs at birth and weighing 18-20 now would be good.

What do/did your 12m old boys weigh?

Did they ever go a whole month and not gain?

I know the office said dont worry but I cant help but feel like Im starving my kids and I feel like a bad mom now.

Any advice to get me through till our Friday appt would be great.

3. texastwinks

texastwinks Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that you they could still receive RSV shots at 12 months.

Anyway, my two were born at 33 weeks and Aidan was 4 lbs 8 oz. He is (and has been since they came home) the smaller one weight wise. I the explanation for their lack of weight gain is due more to their age than to their prematurity. Once they begin walking and such, they tend to level out a bit. I think mine are a little over 20 lbs now, but I won't know that for sure until next Monday at their 15 mo check-up. I worried sometimes that they weren't gaining enough or that they haven't really "caught up" but I'm sure your pedi would pick up on it if they weren't growing properly. As long as they are growing consistently on THEIR curve, they're fine!

4. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

Our boys were born at exactly 34 weeks. One developed IUGR (placenta wasn't feeding as well the last couple of months), he weighed only 2lbs. 13oz at birth. The other weighed 5lbs10oz!

Ben finally hit the growth chart after about 6months. At their 1yr appt, he weighed 21lbs 8oz (25%) He is lean but eats like a horse. His height also really took off at 18mons + . He was only 16.5inch at birth while at 18mon, he was 33.75in (85%) and keeps getting taller.

I would not try to get too worked up about their weight. First, it was on a different scale. Your 1yr appt with your ped will put it all in perspective. They are looking at an overall trend vs other appts. Weight gain does level off after the first year. So some months they may be only be a few ounces gained or maybe none at all.

5. Suz7171

Suz7171 Well-Known Member

My boys were born 2 days shy of 32 weeks. They weighed 3 lbs 11oz and 3 lbs 6 oz. At 12 months they weighed 20 lbs and 19 lbs. They will be three next week and they are around 32 lbs and 31 lbs.

Like Debbi said, since the scales were different I wouldn't get too worried about it. They are growing and that's all that matters...think about how far they've come in 1 year!

6. Shanonlee

Shanonlee Well-Known Member

Mine were 33 weekers and weighed 4lb at birth. At their one year checkup they both weighed 19lb 4oz. Today at their 15 month checkup they weighed 21lb 10.5oz and 20lb 13.5oz. The pedi said they are low on the charts but is now worried about it as long as they are growing. She also recommended pediasure just to add extra calories so maybe you could ask your dr about that. good luck.

7. matwetwins

matwetwins Well-Known Member

My boys were 30w1d. The weight exactly 3 lbs when they were born and at one year they weighed about 25 lbs, 18 mo 29 lbs and at 2 they weighed 31 lbs. They caught up in weight by the time they were 7 mo or so. I don't think we went a month without gaining any weight until they were at least 18 mo. Also they have never been considered "thin" kids. On the other hand my friend has twin sons who were 6+lbs at birth and at one year one was not quite 20 lbs and the other 30lb. I think all kids are different and it really depends on body type even at this young age.

8. Holdentwins

Holdentwins Well-Known Member

hi, my ID boys were born at 34 1/2 weeks and weighed 3.8 and 4.2 at birth. we just went last thursday for their 12 month check up and my little one was 16.10 and 29 inches and my bigger one was 18 lbs and 30 inches. They are just long and lean [​IMG] I thought my little one lost just a tad, but he had strep throat about 3 weeks before our appt. also, they are skinny, but are both staying on a consistent curve on the chart.. my little one just now made the weight percentile chart at our 9 month check-up. He stays in about the 5th for weight and they are in 75th for height..hehe

9. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I'm going to chime in here even though my boys were full-term. They weighed 6,1 & 6,9 at birth. At one year, they weighed 18,12 & 18,14. They are healthy, lean, extremely active, and they eat like piggies. They have met all milestones early. Their height has been right at 50% all along and they gain at a normal pace. Mine don't get weighed between visits so I cannot say if they've ever gone a month without gaining.

I think people get too hung up on weight as an indicator of well-being. It is only one piece of the picture and it can be temporarily thrown off by something as basic as distracted feeding, teething, or a cold. Also, as the others have said, you cannot compare weights given on two different scales.

10. nikki_0724

**************UPDATE**************

Ok we had our one year well visit today

Dylan was 20.7lbs 29 1/4in
    Brandon was 18.1 lbs 29 1/2in

Brandon did not get his shots b/c his ear was a lil bit red like he was just getting over an ear infection (I had no clue bad mama) So she put him on a high does of amox. for 10days.

Dylan had his shots and is doing very well.....

Both boys have to get to get the reg. blood work but the Dr. is have a full work up on Brandon b/c shes concerned about his weight. He is in the 0% although he is growing upward on the curve.... Shes wondering if there something wlse going on... I think he fine b/c he is growing but now shes got me worried... Like pp said he is just as active as his brother is not more at sometime.. And they are both piggies...
    I have to hold off on the blood for 10 days so that anything illness he has is knocked out by the amox. so Im sure ill worry all ten days and then more so waiting for results....
    I'm also not to happy that hes on amox b/c if it was the end of the infection I dont think he needed them...

IDK.... thanks for listening... Please keep the boys in your prays that everything comes back good with the blood work....

thanks

11. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 30w, 5 days.
    They weighed 2lb7oz and 3lbs, 3 oz.
    At one year they were 21 and 19 lbs.
    I thought it was good too....my Pedi was happy.

12. katie c

katie c Well-Known Member

Harvey was 4 13 when born and ember 6.5 their year stats were
    1 year :
    Harvey 18lb 3oz
    Ember 17lb 5oz

So I think yours are doing v. well as far as weights go in this house.

I do sometimes think doctors can unduly worry about weight issues at the end of the day if he is reaching his milestones then i wouldn't worry to much.

Hope all goes well with the blood work

13. Jennysnead

Jennysnead Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about them losing a little bit. Once they start to get more active, moving around, crawling, walking, they burn it off fast. Plus they are taking in less high calorie milk and more food now. All babies start to level off and slow way down in the growing around a year.

14. jem0622

jem0622 Well-Known Member

Those are great stats! WTG Mom! My girls were born a few weeks early and were just over 5 lbs. They just had their 2 yr checkup and they were 25 and 24 lbs respectively. They were barely 20 lbs at a year. Very slow growers here. You wouldn't know it by the way they suck up food and drink!

You are a great Mom!