Upper GI

Discussion in 'General' started by MichelleL, Apr 7, 2010.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Has anyone had one done? I am scheduled for one in the morning. I know what it's about, what they do, and what I will do. But, what are your experiences? Did you have any side effects from the stuff you swallow? How did you feel after? I didn't think I was nervous about it but I guess I am a little bit. I always get a bit skittish because of the fear of the unknown. :unsure:

2. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am going to be doing one soon as my reflux/gerd is out of control. My kids have had a couple done but not me. They seemed fine, it just made their poop white from the stuff they swallowed. I would love to hear your experience when its over if you don't mind sharing. Good luck! Is yours for GERD as well?

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had one done about a year and a half ago. It wasn't pleasant. I think I had some side effects in terms of looser bowel movements from the stuff you swallow. I was exhausted afterward and luckily my husband took the day off to take care of the kids. I was wiped out.

4. MichelleL

Thanks Maureen for sharing. :hug: I do feel kinda yucky right now but I'm not sure if it's because I'm just sooo overtired.

Jen, yes mine is for GERD too. I called my PCP because my reflux seems to be getting worse, but my weight is also climbing. I believe that as I lose, it will get better. But because I've been chugging so many tums for so long, she wanted me to make sure something else wasn't going on and make sure I hadn't done any damage to he esophagus.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't fun. :nea: I had to down this fizz stuff first that essentially puts gas into the stomach. It was pretty nasty...and then they tell you NOT to burp. I kind of giggled because that was hard to do. I had to drink the thick barium first while they took a few images and then laid down on the table and drank the thinner barium and some water while they took more images. They contort you in all sorts of ways to get the views they need. As I was laying on my side, they showed me the screen so I could see what was going on. I could see the reflux happening on the TV as I felt it. It was kind of cool.

5. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Michelle, they don't have you on a prescription for your reflux? I too Zantac for a long time and have been taking prilosec daily for at least 10 years.

Hope you recover from the procedure quickly :hug: .

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Chelley, I had no idea you were having this procedure done! But I'm glad it's behind you now & it wasn't too bad. How long until you get some results? I hope everything is fine! :hug:

7. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Glad its over!! Hope you get some results soon. I have bene on Nexium for 2 years straight and it has been my Godsend but I think its not working as well anymore. I know there are triggers that make it worse but its soo miserable. I hope you get some relief soon! I had an Endoscopy done last year to see how it was affecting me and I have some damage from the reflux. I used to have it only when pg but with the twins it got so bad I lost my voice and it has just never gone away since then.

8. MichelleL

No, because I've never brought it up. :blush: It got bad as I gained weight. I recognized that. It was HORRIBLE during my pregnancy. 2 years ago when I dropped some weight, I rarely used OTC antacids. Here's the thing...they stopped selling the Rolaids soft chews that worked so well for me. So I called my PCP to see if there was something OTC (like Zantac, Prilosec, one of those) that I could use until I got off my lazy arse and lost weight again. It turned into this big "oh no, you need to be seen, you're taking too many, you need this test...." Yikes! She said (as Jen mentioned below can happen) that she wanted to check to make sure there wasn't any damage from it and that it wasn't anything more than reflux.

I haven't mentioned it because I'm embarrassed! :blush: I KNOW it's mostly because of my weight! :(

The radiology resident said that he and the attending saw nothing more than reflux on the images but they will review them closer and get a report to my doctor this week.

9. MichelleL

Oh, and THANKS ladies!!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:hug: Glad you got some answers.