Upper lip tie?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by paperclippy, Nov 3, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

So my girls have been struggling with reflux for a long time, and have recently gotten a lot worse.  We're trying everything under the sun, but someone just suggested to me last night that it could be related to an upper lip tie.  Sure enough, I peeked under their lips, and the tissue attaching them is all the way down to the bottom of their gums.  They've always made a clicking sound when eating (breast and bottle) and I still can't get them to latch without a nipple shield, and even then both with the bottle and the breast they lose their latch a lot.

Has anyone else had an upper lip tie corrected?  Did you have any relationship between that and reflux/gassiness?  From what I've heard the theory is that they don't have a good seal for suction and end up swallowing a lot of air, causing the reflux and gas, but there only appears to be one doctor publishing anything about it so I don't really trust it.  I'm going to check with the doctor about it in any case but I'm curious to hear your experiences.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A good person to contact about this would be Dr. Jack Newman - http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/index.php It's definitely a possibility. Tongue and lip ties are often overlooked by health care providers in conjunction with breastfeeding issues.

3. abby741

abby741 New Member

Has anyone else had an upper lip tie corrected?