Vaccine for flu or not?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by tiff12080, Dec 9, 2010.

1. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

http://www.lohud.com/article/20101207/NEWS02/12080303/-1/newsfront/Flu-claims-life-of-New-Rochelle-4-year-old

This is near where I live and is really scary...not sure what to do...what do yo all do?

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Since jessy is high risk we have it every year

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We vaccinate for the flu. I don't have the slightest hesitation about it.

2 people like this.
  4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We get the flu vaccine every year. We haven't yet this year. Good reminder to make the appointment! We've had so much illness in our house lately, we haven't been to the dr. for any "well" appointments! :(

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We vaccinate every year. I agree with Rachael, it's not even up for discussion, especially since my SIL is an RN at the local health dept and schools. She insists EVERY year that we get it.

6. ainsleyr

ainsleyr Well-Known Member

We vaccinate every year. Never a question. I used to work in an acute care hospital, & the sight of people and children deathly ill from something so preventable will never leave me.

2 people like this.
  7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We didn't get it last year because it was a pain to schedule it, but they're getting it tomorrow... took me weeks to get an appointment too, and I had to cancel the last one a month ago because they were sick.

8. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

YES YES AND YES!

9. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

We get it every year without hesitation.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids have gotten it every year.

11. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I never got it until this year (and only this year because I developed asthma) but my ped does not believe in vaccinating my kids - they are healthy and have no lung issues...and I agree with him - he doesn't believe in introducing a virus into a low risk healthy body...even if that virus is dormant...

ETA - that is ONLY for the flu vaccine - my kids get all their other vaccines including chicken pox

12. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

We used to vaccinate every year. DH, DS, and I have asthma. We stopped a couple years ago because we were getting more sickness while getting the vaccine. Now we are back to just a couple of colds. We also had H1N1 before the vaccine came out. For us it was very mild, and I didn't even get it. I'm pretty sure I was exposed as a young child when it was first discovered in the 70's.

I just know we are a healthier family without the flu shot. I'm not saying everyone should do that, but for our family it seems to work better.

13. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Every year.

I don't want my children to inadvertantly make another child (who cannot receive the shot) sick. Plus, I don't want to miss any work/have them miss any school more than we do already.

1 person likes this.
  14. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

This is me too... I have an older son that brings home everything from school and my little ones go to a lot of playgroups and some speech therapy play groups that have very sick (not flu but CP or asthma) kids and I don't want us to spread anything around.

15. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have in the past but didn't last year & are not going to this year. My kids are all healthy & very low risk.

16. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I would never not vaccinate my kids against the flu. We have gotten it every year for years and I do not even think twice about it.

17. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've always gotten it every year-never questioned it or thought twice about it.
    Last year my daughter ended up in ICU from her asthma and the pedi on the floor asked me if we got the flu shot and I said we always do and she said good because if Sophia were to get the flu/h1n1 she would be a statistic. scary......
    That will stick with me forever!!

18. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My kids get the flu shot every year and would never not get it.

19. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I really debated whether or not to get the flu vaccine for my girls last year, but finally decided to after talking to my uncle, who's 60ish and still has visible scars from chicken pox. He's a physician specializing in infectious diseases, and chastised me for hesitating to vaccinate. He almost died at age 3 from the chicken pox... something we can vaccinate against nowadays. He said his parents felt horrible about how sick he got, but at least they didn't have to feel guilty that it was something they could have prevented (no vaccine 50 years ago). So his position is that if the risks of the vaccine are so much less than the risks of the actual disease, do it. His reasoning made sense to me and we all got the flu vaccine both last year and this year too.

20. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

My job involves taking care of people with the flu (Home Health RN) and the potential to bring home the virus and pass it on to the chickies was too great in my mind. We all got vaccinated. I'm still working on getting DH set up, not because he needs convincing, but because its been crazy busy here and it's been neglected.

21. allboys

allboys Well-Known Member

As an ob/gyn, I am strongly for vaccination. Me and the kids get the flu vaccine every year. I get it to minimize the chance of passing it along to my patients. I also really encourage my pregnant patients to get it.

22. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We get vaccinated here as well. DH and I are both in healthcare fields and DD2 has asthma. The kids all got H1N1 (vaccines got here really late) last year and Abby got really sick and her asthma flared really bad. It's just not worth the risk for us.

23. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We vaccinate the kiddos every year. When I was a working nurse, DH and I would get one as well. Since being a SAHM, I have not gotten one the last two years and neither has DH. I did question last year whether we should vaccinate the kids against the flu. They weren't enrolled in any daycare. They stayed home with me and were/are healthy and not at high risk (other than age). It just seemed like everytime they got the shot they would always end up with a head cold and fever. I was still dealing with two sick kids! BUT...in the end, we continued with the vaccination deciding that the disease process is ALOT worse than the actual vaccine. We didn't want to take the chance of them getting sick and/or getting someone else sick.

24. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All 3 of my kids and myself get the flu vax every year. :good:

25. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Get it every year---girls are high risk (residual lung damage from preemie, asthma, and one gets pneumonia easily).

DH gets it and this year I will get it for the first time in years since I work with young kids.

After hospital stays for RSV & pneumonia---I would not even think about missing it for the girls. They got it the first week it was available around here.

26. tiff12080

I think you all may have swayed me toward getting it for my boys.

27. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I personally don't get the flu vaccine for any of us, but we do vaccinate on a regular schedule for everything else :) All my kids are normally very healthy and only get minimal colds sometimes :) That's just our decision :)

28. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Same here. We do also load up on vitamins.

29. Username

Username Well-Known Member

Never have. Can't imagine we ever will.

I did have some concern during the H1N1 hype/scare. Not about the illness neccesarily, but more about the fact that they were giving the nasal mist AT school IN the lunchroom DURING lunch. Yikes. Lots of shedding, freshly vaccinated kids eating around my kids. Yuck. Two of my kids did get mild cases.

I don't see the need to vaccinate healthy children/people who have normal strong immune systems. I'd like to keep their immune systems functioning properly and that requires sometimes being sick.

30. luvrkids

luvrkids Well-Known Member

I did all three of my kids this year and feel it was the wrong decision for us my 3yr old now has guillian barre syndrome..... (see health issue forum for story)

31. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you're going through that R&RMAMA... I hope she recovers very soon.

We got the option of getting the mist instead of the shot and went for it instead of the shot to avoid complications. They got a cold as side-effect but it only lasted a couple days.

32. pgmummy

pgmummy Well-Known Member

We all had the H1N1 shot last year and the boys got the regular flu shot this year for the first time. Unfortunately I couldn't find a clinic for my shot so I didn't get one this year. The kids were eligible for shots from the public health department, but I had to go to a pharmacy clinic. I usually get one every year. I have one of those jobs where taking time off for sickness is seen as a weakness so the choice is basically stay as healthy as possible or drag your sick butt to work.

33. tiff12080

Im so sorry :grouphug: ! I am still on the fence?! When I read this it makes me think I shouldnt...being a parent is hard!

34. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Yes we get flu shots here.

35. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

Nope. I did in the past for the boys and myself and after researching we will not be getting the flu vaccine ever again.