Vaginal bleeding postpartum?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by watersurfers, Aug 3, 2009.

1. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

I am 11 days postpartum and had an easy vaginal delivery of my twins. My bleeding was lightening up about three days ago, but has since increase again in frequency. I don't soak a pad an hour, but I seem to be having a steady flow. And now (here comes the tmi) when I pee I see "pieces" in the toilet. Not large clots or anything, but just floaters. And today, when I wiped, I had a clot bit about the size of the tip of one of my fingers. Is this normal?
    Sorry about the over share, but when you try to google this stuff, you get the weirdest pages!
    Thanks!

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it's totally normal. I had some bleeding for quite a long time after delivery, at least 2 weeks, but I think it was a bit longer. A few clots are normal too. The nurses told me to watch for clots larger than a "loonie" which is our dollar coin here & is a bit larger than a quarter.

3. watersurfers

Thanks Tina!

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I bled for about 4 weeks and for the first 2 weeks there was a lot of clotting and heavy bleeding. It seems like you are normal! :)

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bled for what felt like eternity. At my 6 week check up I still was bleeding a little bit!

6. lisachalf

lisachalf Well-Known Member

I'm almost 4 weeks out and am still spotting a little. Some women bleed for 10-12 weeks! Yikes!

7. watersurfers

12 weeks???? Yikes! I only bled like five days with my first single pregnancy! Oh twin pregnancies....so different.

8. twinmommy2B2008

twinmommy2B2008 Well-Known Member

I only bled heavily the first 3-4 days after an easy vaginal delivery, but continued to bleed and spot almost until my 6 week appointment. It was enough to use a pad and I changed it for sanitary reasons, but not becasue I had too. I also noticed little "floaties" in the toilet after peeing and my OB office said it was normal.

The day we brought the boys home from the hospital was very busy and I was the most active I had been in a while (9 days postpartum). That night I soaked through 2 pads within an hour and ended up calling my OB. He said that it was most likely due to the increase activity, but if I continued to do it to go to the ER. But he suggested that I kick my feet up for a couple of hours to see if it went away and it did.

I think that what you are experiencing is normal. If you get too worried, make sure to call your doctor though and activity can increase the bleeding.

Good luck and congrats on the birth of your babies!