Vaginal delivery with vertex/vertex twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by chicagomama, Jul 2, 2013.

1. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

Anyone have this presentation at delivery? I am due fairly soon, 2cm dilated and both babies are currently head down. Looking for any words of wisdom. My last set of twins were breech transverse and I still had them vaginally. I thought two babies head down I would b in the clear, but my OB says he actually prefers vertex/breech or vertex transverse and says vertex/vertex is at greater risk for conversion to c-sec for baby #2. I know every situation is different but curious to hear any stories on this...

2. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

My OB prefers vertex/vertex although he has said baby B may flip after Baby A's delivery. I'm not where you are yet and my baby A is breech anyway but I wish you non-turning babies who give you a great birth.

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Mine were both head down. After baby a was born, my ob kept her hand on my belly - I think to reduce the likelihood of b flipping. When my contractions looked like they were going to stop, she had the anesthesiologist give me a small dose of Pitocin to keep things going. B was born vaginally 8 minutes after a with no issues. The only reason I can think of that the dr would not prefer two Babies head down is because he's concerned b will turn after a is born. But I'm not an MD so I can't say for sure.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, that's the concern. But it's an issue regardless of presentation. I had a friend who's babies were both breech. After baby A was born vaginally, baby B flipped vertex and was born shortly after.

My girls were both vertex and had no issues. They did rupture baby B's water to bring her right down onto my cervix and then used a small kiwi vacuum to assist her as her heart rate was deceling a bit. I often wonder if those extra interventions were truly necessary or just habit/routine on the part of the medical staff.

5. lcjackman

lcjackman Well-Known Member

Mine were also head down at time of delivery and we had no issues whatsoever. I had to deliver in the O.R. just in case baby B flipped but he didn't and no interventions were needed.

6. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

My OB implied it was more of a problem that twin A will descend and then twin B will not, stalling labor and possibly having heart deceleration...esp if a placenta is shared and detaches. I guess I shouldn't worry about it, as long as the babies are healthy I don't mind if I wind up with both vag/c-sec, just wondering how frequently it becomes a problem....

7. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

I can't remember where I read it but I recently read 10-20% of the time after first baby is delivered Baby B will require C-section. I didn't really think that was that bad of a rate, at least not as bad as some people make it out to be.

8. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Another forum that I am on tracks statistics and found about 3% of all twin deliveries (not just vaginal) for those moms were double whammies. If I recall correctly, our stats on TS were trending in that direction but I think more votes have come in since I last checked.

ETA: of course those aren't scientific surveys, so take it with a grain of salt.

9. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

That was our presentation, and my MW also said it was the presentations with the most issues for her.

We did have a minor position problem - my girls were vertex-vertex, facing each other like they were hugging. The chin of Baby B blocked the shoulder of Baby A from descending. Not a huge deal, I birthed on a stool and an assistant held Baby B up from the outside of my belly to allow Baby A to get by.

Once Baby A was out, there was no problem. We did AROM to keep things moving, but it was all smooth at that point.

Best wishes!

10. jennycraig

jennycraig Active Member

Our identical girls were vertex/vertex at delivery time. After Baby A was born Baby B flipped to breech. She was born vaginally 13 minutes after baby A with no complications.

11. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys were vertex/vertex and I had no issues and they were 54 mins apart:) I didn't deliver in the OR either but my OB was very comfortable delivering breech too and I was fully aware that if anything was concerning with Either twin that I would be wheeled 2 rooms down for a c/s

Good luck!!!!

12. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were both vertex and delivered vaginally with no complications. The OB did have to break baby B's water, but she didn't flip.