Valentines day

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Poohbear05, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

My mom used to always leave us little presents for EVERY holiday (Valentines, St. patricks, etc). I've been doing the same, but this year is the first year that the girls will really enjoy it or 'get' it... LOL They turned 4 last month. What would be good to get them? I was thinking an outfit each, maybe a matching necklace and hair clip/bow, and some candy hearts or something.

Are you doing anything for your kids??

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No only bc they don't "get" it. We are going to make strawberry cupcakes together but when they are older we might start doing gifts.
    I think the outfit sounds like a great idea! You could give them a Ring Pop too to complete the accessories;)

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids are 3, so I don't think they get it quite yet, however, I might pick them up two small books as a gift.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got them cards, a deck of cards (memory is a huge hit), and granola bars.

5. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I got them each an summer outfit.

6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Do you like baking with them? You could get a heart cookie cutter or heart shaped cupcake cases and do a baking and decorating activity with them.

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I get them something for every holiday too, but it's usually just small stuff.

They had those new things at Wal-Mart (squinkies or something like that) for $5 so I got each of them a set of those (3 little animals and a carrying case) and then I got them some M&M's. That's about all I'll do. :good:

8. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got the boys each a Curious George DVD. They were only $5 at Target, so I grabbed them. I got them a box of sweethearts candy. I will get something chocolate and that will probably be it. I think... LOL!

9. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

My mom did the same. I'm getting the boys books. At this age they don't really understand.

Valentines is also the day the boys came home from the hospital.

I love the idea of the heart cookie cutter or cupcakes. I'll remember that when the boys are older.

10. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

We got the boys each a movie, coloring books and some m&ms! I know they probably won't get the whole V-day thing but it's still fun to spoil them!

11. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

I will probably have them make something for DH. But I have to say reading this makes me a bit teary eyed as my dad who has passed always got us girls something on valentines day (very simple box of candy). I always tell my DH how special it made me feel so I hope he continues the tradition for his daughters :)

12. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

We don't do anything big here. We will be spending the day making Valentines day crafts and making heart shaped muffins and heart shaped homemade pizzas. I may get them each a latex balloon from the grocery store that has helium in it. I will probably hit up the library for books on Valentines day so my oldest can learn about the day.

13. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

sweet!

I have to say that you need to really coordinate with dh on some occasions.... my dh has gotten my dd a card the past couple of years, w/o telling me... and he expected me to get my ds one... anyway, I think that's sweet, but not to get something for one child and not the other w/o telling mommy she needs to get something. UGH! anyway, this thread is a good one.

I do usually at least try to make a cute photo valentine card from the kids for my dh and grandparents. And then I get them something small, guess I better get busy!

14. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

hmmm...funny I never even though to do anything for the kids for valentines day. Perhaps we will do valentines day cards, but that is about it. Mind you, mine dont eat candy or chocolate yet, so perhaps next year will be a little more interesting!

15. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Me either. We made valentine's day cards last year so we'll probably do that again. Maybe I'll get them a little something (stickers?).

16. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Nothing here. With Christmas and their birthday at the end of the month, they don't need more stuff.

17. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

We just had Christmas, and their birthday was this past Saturday. So they won't get much, if anything lol. They absolutely love balloons so honestly, just a balloon from Wal mart would be fine with them! I'll probably get them some kind of candy or something too... Just no toys! I think the outfit idea is great!

18. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Last year I made the boys their favorite cut-out cookies in heart shapes, and I'll probably do the same this year. They don't "get it" but we just use the holiday as another excuse to make cookies! :lol:

19. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I like the balloon idea! Thanks. My Dad did cards and maybe chocolate. But, it's my birthday so Mom always got great gifts and it was overshadowed with Birthday gifts.
    I'll probably do candy and a card for the boys.

20. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Good idea. I certainly can't justify spending any excess money on them this year, but I might be able to do this project.

21. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We usually get them something small for valentines. My mom use to get us something for nearly every holiday and have it sitting on the foot of our bed when we awoke in the morning. It became something sweet and special for us. :wub:

22. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Somehow I started getting Disney's Family Fun magazine :umm: and this month they had a really neat recipe for Heart Tarts: http://familyfun.go.com/valentines-day/valentines-day-recipes/valentine-treats-gallery-838251/#Heart%20Tarts;1 It looks super easy so I think I'm going to make this for breakfast tomorrow morning (basically it's pie crust, jam, and frosting; kind of like homemade Pop Tarts). If anyone wants the recipe I'll look it up tonight and post it. :)

23. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's a great idea! I may take it! I may also need to decrease the amount of chocolate in the bags... :laughing:

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='11 February 2011 - 09:47 AM' timestamp='1297435652' post='1759216']
    Somehow I started getting Disney's Family Fun magazine :umm: and this month they had a really neat recipe for Heart Tarts: http://familyfun.go.com/valentines-day/valentines-day-recipes/valentine-treats-gallery-838251/#Heart%20Tarts;1 It looks super easy so I think I'm going to make this for breakfast tomorrow morning (basically it's pie crust, jam, and frosting; kind of like homemade Pop Tarts). If anyone wants the recipe I'll look it up tonight and post it. :)
    [/quote]

I :wub: FamilyFun. Maybe you got my subscription. It stopped arriving at my house. :( They have some great ideas in there. I need to get it again....

So I bought little Valentine's Day bags at Target. I should have waited to get the bag until AFTER I got their stuff... Oops. I kept finding more and more things....Oops!

24. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

I got the girls a Melissa & Doug Sticker Book each, and fairy wings with a wand and a crown. They are also getting some new socks (exciting, I know!).

I like the idea of putting it on their bed but might save that for next year when they are a bit older.