VBAC for twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mommyTM, Aug 7, 2009.

1. mommyTM

mommyTM New Member

Has anyone had a VBAC with their twins? My last dd was a VBAC, so I know my body can do it...but that was with only one baby. What are your experiences, and what did your docs recommend? I would love to avoid a c-section, but I have no idea how the whole twin thing changes things...

Thanks!
    MommyTM

2. mommyTM

mommyTM New Member

Ugh, I was afraid there would be nobody. :( I just didn't think I would be the only one who had a previous c-section before having twins. <_<

3. sparkle77

sparkle77 Well-Known Member

Awww, don't be discouraged, Mama. I'm sure there MAY be someone, but Fridays tend to be a bit slow around here. I'm sure you'll get lots of responses over the weekend and next week.

FWIW, I think that although you may get some affirmatives, the VBAC with twins is a bit rare due to medical malpractice and liability issues. You would have to find a willing doctor and hospital that would allow it.

Hope you find someone though!

Good luck!!!

4. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I would agree that it depends on what your Dr's procedures are on the issue. Definitely have a talk with him/her and find out how they feel about it. Also, keep in mind that here are certain factors in a twin pregnancy that prevent 1st time vaginal births, such as the positions of the babies and circumstances. Best of Luck to you!

5. MrsDec

MrsDec Member

Sorry, just joined today.

I had a c-section with my son because he was breech. My OB and I were going to try for a vbac with this pregnancy and I was really excited. When I found out it was twins, she said we COULD still try the vbac, as long as everything was going perfectly. But if I had any complications what so ever, that it would end up being another C, or even an emergency C. We just have to take it day by day.

So yes, it IS possible, but I think they are VERY careful.

6. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

I saw something on youtube where a lady had a vbac with twins and had to travel out of state because she wanted a home birth with them. If you type vbac twins on you tube I'm sure it will come up. Good luck mommy!

7. annharmon

annharmon New Member

Yes, i had vbac with my twins in Jan 09. My first son was breech, and i had a c-sec in oct 04. Then had a vbac with my 2nd in Feb of 07, he was big 8lbs 8oz. With having two other children i really needed a quicker recovery, so my doctor and i thought if all looked good on delivery day we could try the vbac. So my water broke at 34.5 weeks, and i delivered them both vbac about 8 hours later. It only took a few pushes b/c they were 4.1 and 4.7 lbs.

So yes it is possible, but talk it over with your doctor. Your doctor should be supportive and experienced in vbacs, see if she/he has ever delivered any twin vbacs. My babies were small.
    I just signed up is morning as a member, b/c when i was going thru the vbac decision, i really searched and googled a ton, and there just wasn't much information about it. So i wanted you know it has been done, and was successful, no complications.

The vbac for me, was a great decision, and i am so glad i did it. I was nervous at the time, because i knew there were risks. I told her if anything starts to go in the wrong direction, do a c-sec right then and there.

Let me know if you have any questions, just talk with over with you doctor.
    Good luck to you, it is so exciting.