Vehicle belt restraints and car seats

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by carlylafont, Feb 14, 2010.

1. carlylafont

carlylafont Well-Known Member

I have a 1993 honda accord 4 door. My girls are only 10 months, but they are about 1 pound away from being out of their infant carriers.(which is why I am here, I figure most of the 2nd year'ers would have kids this heavy and already a solution!) We purchased the safety 1st air protect car seats for the next step. (We have had them for awhile, but used them in our other car, which is 2006 4runner). We went to put these car seats in the 1993 honda, only to realize using the vehicle belt doesn't seem sturdy or safe. What have you done to get around this issue?

We will be getting a newer car soon (before June, but were trying to put it off for a few months)...

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I'm not sure exactly what you have to do but I would take the carseats to the nearest fire department and they can help you install them correctly. Good Luck! I think it has something to do with the tether?

3. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

Yes, I would second getting a profession opinion. I know where I live that the fire station doesn't always have someone there, but you can call and they will let you know where to go. we have a local group that will check out the install of your seats for free. its great.

I just tested the Safety 1st Complete Air seats in my car that has latch today, BRU let us take them out to the car... they got good and tight with the latch, though took a little longer to get tight enough than the Britax we tried out also. do you have the seatbelt clip thing that I think you need to make sure if your car doesn't have the feature that when you pull the seatbelt out all the way it clicks??

also, for rear facing I think its ok if the seat goes up and down, if its not tethered... you just don't want it going side to side... if that makes sense. I was told with infant carriers that you wanted the seat to be able to lift up by their heads (just not at the point where its anchored into the car) in an accident to help with keeping then safe and dispersing the energy of the crash...

good luck.

4. carlylafont

Totally forgot about the fire department! I will call them tomorrow.

Thank you!

5. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

We have poor seatbelts in DH's car (98 Olds). BRU makes this seatbelt gripper things that tighten the belt more than a latch system does. Here is a link to the thing. It really works well and gets the carseat in there super tight. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2267437

6. carlylafont

Thank you! I think that is what I need (seat belt tightener). I will still go to the fire department too.

7. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

After I read that, I read some reviews. It got 4 out of 5 stars. The bad reviews were saying that it tends to stretch out the seat belt. So I don't know. Honestly, I'd rather it be tight then worry about a stretched out seat belt. Especially if you aren't going to keep the car too long.

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Did the seats come with seatbelt clips? I use those in my car (94) and they seem to help and make things a bit sturdier. Usually car seats come with them...they are little metal clips in the shape of an "H". Here's a pic of one seatbelt clip