Waking in the middle of the night

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sheras2, Oct 17, 2010.

1. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

Our babies are 11 weeks and still waking every 3-4 hours through the night for a feeding. We are no longer waking them up to eat, but letting them sleep as long as they want during the night. They sometimes go as long as 5 1/2 hours, which is great. They also go right back to sleep after eating. I don't think STTN is too far off. They sleep in a co-sleeper next to our bed and I usually breastfeed one twin and DH bottle feeds the other. We feed them while lying in our bed.

So a few times in the last week, one of our boys wakes after 4 hours or so to eat, but by the time I get him moved to our bed and get in a comfortable position and ready to nurse (2 mins tops) he is done fussing and drifting off to sleep. I think he may just want to snugglel or be held. I try to put him to breast and he's not interested, too sleepy. After that, I've let him sleep next to me for a little while, assuming he'll wake up in a few minutes, but he'll sleep for another hour or more. He wakes and fusses again shortly after I move him back to his bed.

So what do you think? Am I creating a bad habit if I let him sleep in our bed for a couple of hours in the night? Should I try this every night in an attempt to eliminate a feeding that I don't think he really seems to want/need? Or should I try to feed him every time he wakes like I have been?

2. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

Early this morning I tried comforting him in our bed instead of offering him the breast right away. He ended up going right back to sleep, for several hours.

3. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

So hard when they are little to work out what they want. I personally would see if you can comfort him back to sleep in the co-sleeper (rubbing back, patting bottom, etc) so that if he is going to sleep for an extended period of time you can then have a bit of sleep without worrying about him being in with you. I know I used to barely breathe if I had a baby in bed with me because I didn't want to wake him! As for habits, I wouldn't worry too much. Habits can be changed when they are ready for a more solid routine. Good luck. Hopefully others will have some awesome advice for you.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with pp. I would try to get him back to sleep in the co-sleeper. He does seem to want to be near mommy. I would shush, pat his back/bum, or try the pacifier if he takes it. I agree not to worry too much about bad habits-they are so little right now. But I do have a neighbor down the street who has twins who just turned six-and one of them still gets in bed with them! But at that age-you should be fine. You know what is best for your family, and what works. And if you are getting an extra hour-heck even five minutes :laughing: of sleep-go for it!