Waking up too early in the morning

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mhardman, Feb 28, 2008.

1. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

My babies have been STTN for a long time. My DD since 4 mo and my DS at 6 mo. but since 4 mo he woudl get up to eat 1 time and go right back to bed. They sleep 7 to 7 and just cut out the third nap so they take naps from 9-11 and 1-3. Sometimes the naps are 30 min less but I still put them down at those times. The last week my DS keeps waking up earlier. I hear him awake in his crib. I usually don't go and get him until he fusses. He was been waking up between 5 and 6. He won't go back to sleep. Usually I have to get him at 6 or 6:30 as I don't want him waking my DD who I don't want to get in the habit of waking early. I cant' believe he needs less sleep than that. I know plenty fo people who still have babies taking 3 naps at 7 months. But if I put him down for a third nap he just cries or play but never sleeps hence we took away the third nap. Any ideas to make him sleep in. I have covered the window so little light is getting in. I don't know what else to do.

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I wish I knew. Ana sometimes wakes up between 5 and 6, but luckily she is pretty quiet and plays with her teddy bear or looks at herself in the crib mirror. Sometimes she wakes Meara and they play together until I get them around 7. Sometimes she does fall back asleep and wakes up again at 7 which is their normal wake up time. I'll be interested to see what other people say. Just know you aren't alone.

3. Jayn

Jayn Well-Known Member

Both of my older sons are early risers and have always been that way. It never mattered how late I kept them up, how much sleep they got, nap lengths, etc. They always get up at about 6am. I'm not so much a morning person and it about kills me! Now that they are older, I take them downstairs and turn cartoons on and rest with an eye half open for a couple hours.

4. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I would pay a million bucks for the answer to this question. Mine regularly wake up at 5:30. 5:30???!!!!! Ugh. I haven't done a full-blown CIO with them, because it wakes up my two year old. I usually cave in and nurse them, then hope they go back to sleep--which they do maybe 30% of the time. It is awful. I have no clue what to do. They used to sleep from 7-7, but haven't for a few months now. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread....I'm just at my limit with this too!!!

Reyna

5. benderboys

benderboys Well-Known Member

I always love it when this question comes up because this was the exact question I was searching for an answer to when I found TS!!! Around 7 months, Will was waking up earlier and earlier, the earliest being 5AM. It turned out to be teething. I went bonkers trying to figure out what was going on because they usually sleep 7-6:30. So, it turned out to be teeth in our case, but I know that alot of other members have dealt with this and will have more suggestions for you. I finally gave up trying to "fix" it and it worked itself out once the teeth came in.

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

For us it was just maturity that worked. They got up at 5:30 from about months 9-12.5 and then once they were able to stay up a bit later at night (7-7:30) they now sleep until at least 6:45 and then I dont go in until 7-7:15. So hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you all. I was so sick of getting up with the roosters!!!

7. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Feb 29 2008, 12:31 AM) [snapback]645612[/snapback]
    For us it was just maturity that worked. They got up at 5:30 from about months 9-12.5 and then once they were able to stay up a bit later at night (7-7:30) they now sleep until at least 6:45 and then I dont go in until 7-7:15. So hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you all. I was so sick of getting up with the roosters!!!

Oh bless you! I will hold out the hope!!

Reyna

8. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I've posted about this numerous times, too...especially some mornings when I'm close to TEARS for being woken up so early! We have a 'rule' in our house that no one's allowed out of their crib before 6am (which is fine with us...I prefer they get up between 6-6:30), but my one DS seems to think that 4am is a good time to party some mornings! He was sleeping 6:30-6:30 for over a month before this started. I had chalked it up to teething (like someone else had mentioned) b/c he sprouted 2 teeth shortly after his morning party sessions started, but when it never fully improved, we're beginning to give up hope. We've also done CIO, but he's NEVER gone back to sleep & just ends up in a worse mood in the morning. It's horrible. I wish I knew what to do to get him to sleep til 6am. We've also tried putting him to bed earlier, later, etc which I haven't seen too much differences with. We get excited if he sleeps til 5:30!

I REALLY hope he outgrows this!!!!

I'm curious to hear what others say too....

9. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Sorry to say that some kids are early risers. All 4 of mine are. :crazy: My 8 yo still wakes up at 5-6 am and just lays in bed until 7.

10. andreap

andreap Well-Known Member

glad to know this might be a stage... my dd has started waking up anytime between 5-6 am...for the last several weeks. they will be 9 months next week. yikes, it is weird writing that. (where did my itty bitty babies go?)

anyway... hoping she settles back into her 6-6:30 wake up time. the earliest she has cried out was 4:45 am. our motto is "see you at six!" but it is still worrisome! thanks for sharing your stories...hopefully it is just another one of those stages.