wander away

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 1stbabies, May 3, 2014.

1. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Hi Parents,

I got a scare today as one of our girsl (~4yo) wandered away when I was taking care of her sister.  I did mention to her that she had to be in my sight and if she was not In my sight I have to hear her singing etc...  Luckily DH saw her. After that  she had a long timeout in the car after that and she knew I was really scared and upset.

Since they normally follow books and TV, I wonder if you know of some book or TV dvd about the consequences of getting lost etc...

Thanks much always!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would focus more on teaching her what to do if she does get separated (ie does she know yours and your husband's full names? Does she know who to approach if she needs help?) rather than scaring her with consequences that are really unlikely to happen.

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. That happened to me once as well. I was scared to death. And I was worried about losing 1 kid for months.

Unfortunately, kids just don't see how serious it is though. You just have to do the best to prepare for the situation. I taught them their full name, city, school name, parents, bro/sis names and their age. I think they are taught the same at school as well. Gl!

4. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback Rachel and w101ttd. Yes, they are taught of  the names and addresses.  I was thinking that it is best if we can prevent the escalation to that situation, hence the question.  I'm scared of the bad people that snatch them purposedly and they don't have a chance to ask for help from the good people.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So, statistically, they're more likely to be hit by lightning then they are to be kidnapped by a stranger. Literally, the risk is so small that it is considered "de minimus" by statisticians - that means it's so small, the risk should be considered to be 0%. Honestly, it's not worth wasting time or energy on. Better to prepare them for the more likely scenario of accidental separation and what they can do to get back to you if they're lost.

In terms of them running off from you, it's probably best to set some sort of clear boundary and consequence. Example, I must be able to see you at all times. If I can't then you'll need to hold my hand/go in the stroller/leave the event etc. And then follow through consistently. :)