wandering eyes and some other concerns

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twinsontheway09, Jun 22, 2009.

1. twinsontheway09

twinsontheway09 Active Member

My babies are one month old today, they were born one month early. I was wondering how long it took for your babies eyes to notice you? There all over the place and when I put my face in front of theirs it just doesnt seem like they now I'm even there. I don't know if this is normal or not? They did have yellow crusty stuff over their eyes for 3 weeks, every time they went to sleep and woke up, I would have to wipe their eyes with a warm wash cloth because they could barely open them, my doctor of course kept telling me its clogged tear ducts but I didnt believe it, so I took them to the ER and they gave me some erthromiycin for a bacteria infection just in case and of course it cleared right up. That was over a week ago, I just want some reassurance I guess.

My DS is always clogged up in the nose and I have to constantly use little noses and the nose sucker on him because it seems like he can't breath fully. The doctor today said this is normal!! I have no clue. I'm so worn out and tired I think I average about 4 hours of broken sleep through the night, seeing as I wake up at night on my own with them. I just want to make sure everything is ok.

2. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

Adjusted age is 0 weeks old if your children were a month early. So it may take them longer than most to reach the milestones.

My boys were about 4-6 weeks old when they started to "notice" us, but they tried while we were in tha hospital. But we were not early and therefore, we do not do any adjustment of age.

Call your Pedi if you have questions.

GL,
    Jenn

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine were about 6-8 weeks when they finally started noticing us. As for the eyes, it sounds like they might have some blocked tear duct issues. I would call the Ped and let them know that they are having persistent discharge so they can monitor it. You can use a warm washcloth to clean the eyes off and gently massage the inner eye during diaper changes to see if that helps open things up.

And we had lots of stuffy noses for the first month or two. I used some of the saline drops to keep it moist for them.

4. sandygilpn

sandygilpn Well-Known Member

I honestly don't remember when they started really looking at us, but man, I could never forget their stuffy noses! :) We have dry air, plus they had a couple colds, so for the first 3 1/2 months, the nose sucker and saline were my best friends! The noses were one of the main reasons we started them sleeping in jiggly/bouncy chairs--they were the perfect angle to help their noses drain.

5. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

You can get a humidifier for the noses; it's supposed to help. Although most of the US is pretty humid in the summer, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure about the tear ducts, but I know it takes a while for babies eyes to focus. I think somewhere around a month or two my guys started to focus on objects. On thing I would recommend is to use the playmat ot hang toys from their carseats, cribs etc., so that can give the something to focus on. Good luck!!

I hope you start to get more sleep soon. Maybe you can get someone to come over for an afternoon and give you a break.

6. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

Ok, both my boys had all these things.

1. The eyes go all googly because they dont yet have full control of thier eye muscles. As they get older it will improve, but they will still cross them now and then. Not an issue, normal.

2. The stuff in the eyes is due to not having thier tear ducts fully formed and producing tears, hence they get clogged with eye goo ( shedding skin from the eye ) when they sleep. Babies that young can cry all day and not have tears yet to wash it away. Give it a few more weeks and they will. In the meantime just wipe it away with a washcloth. Dont medicate something that isnt broken and cause further issues.

3. Newborns, when looking around, will naturally look at the brightest thing they can find in the room. Its easier to see. It isnt that they arent looking at you because they have an issue with you, but honestly every single thing around them is going to be of more interest right now...all the shapes and colors. That will also change in a few weeks. Not completely, but a little bit.

4. Clogged noses. This is common at this age for them. 60% of all babies will get thier first cold at this age. i know that it sucks to see them going through this, but the fact is, if thier bodies never had anything to fight off, they wouldnt be able to build up thier immunities. i know mine have stuffy noses right now but its in the sinuses and i cant get to it with a bulb. Just keep them comfortable as possible, watch for fevers, and take it with a grain of salt. The only thing ive found that helps is the steam from a humidifier.

Kenneth and Ian are 2 months and 3 days old

7. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Jun 23 2009, 09:15 AM) [snapback]1365061[/snapback]
    Mine were about 6-8 weeks when they finally started noticing us. As for the eyes, it sounds like they might have some blocked tear duct issues. I would call the Ped and let them know that they are having persistent discharge so they can monitor it. You can use a warm washcloth to clean the eyes off and gently massage the inner eye during diaper changes to see if that helps open things up.

And we had lots of stuffy noses for the first month or two. I used some of the saline drops to keep it moist for them.

Same here. We had the clogged duct and the stuffy noses. All pretty common. I would say 6-8 weeks for us, and they didn't really smile until 12 weeks.

8. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

It sounds like YOU are a bit under the weather yourself? It'll get better, it always does. big hugs!

I was wondering, did you have a c-section? Part of a vaginal birth the babies lungs get squeazed and cleared out. In a c-section they don't get this added bonus. So a baby after a c-section can be more congested for a bit longer. My twins were c-section babies and to this day we still have some extra congestion. Their just about 6 months and were 3 weeks early.

Second, are you nursing? If you are you could express some breastmilk and drop it in their eyes. My toddler just had pink eye and the breast milk cleared it up for him. It can also be very soothing. So it would be a good way of keeping thier eyes "clean" if you were worried about anything.

good luck

9. twinsontheway09

twinsontheway09 Active Member

I was wondering, did you have a c-section? yes I did

Second, are you nursing? I was pumpimg, not anymore, but I do have some frozen breast milk.