We are going to need a new vehicle

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Silly_Putty, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

So my husband and I both drive four door sedans and that is fine with the babies, but eventually we will be traveling around more and will need more room because we also have two dogs (45 and 65 lbs) that come with us. Example: my family has a cabin we go to....never spent the night this year, but next year we will. When we go, we need to pack sleeping bags, clothes, a cooler, food, and we have always brought the two dog beds and of course food for them in addition to our stuff. We have an old Jeep Cherokee we use for going there but it is packed full with the stuff I just mentioned and that is with the back seat down. Also, trips to see family- the dogs come with to my mom's house because she lives pretty far and is on a farm so fun for my dogs to run and play there with her dogs. Anyway, back to the car thing. So in the next year or so we will need something that can accommodate all that stuff, plus the babies stuff...pack and play, clothes, supplies, etc. We really don't particularly want to go the minivan route...we don't need more seats, we need more cargo space! Suggestions?

2. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

We have an Equinox right now, but I'm thinking we'll be mtoving up to a Tracerse as the girls get older. It gets awesome gas mileage and comes standard with a ton of stuff...plus a lot of cargo space!

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I know you don't want to go the van route, and neither did we when we started looking. But we caved in and bought a Kia Sedona and it has been the best purchase ever. It has a ton of cargo space and space for all of us. I can fold down the back seats for even more room. We have literally hauled everything in that van. We never run out of room for all of our stuff and I couldn't be happier. It is the smoothest riding vehicle and my husband is constantly telling me how great it rides (which I don't have a clue about those types of things). Before you count out a van, you should take a look at them, you will be presently surprised.

4. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

We REALLY didn't want a van at first but after shopping around DH and I very easily came to the realization that an SUV wasn't going to be convenient for our family. We got the honda odyssey and we LOVE it. It is so spacious and has an extra back row of seating for when we need it. Plus it drives like a dream!

Like a pp said, shop around, keep an open mind and you will be pleasantly surprise by what you find out there.

Good luck.

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

The Honda Pilot has a third row! My best friend drives one and I LOVE it!

6. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I agree that you shouldn't pass up the vans. I have a Dodge Caravan and feel I get good mileage. I used to drive a Ford Escape and it's just horrible. DH drives it to work (30mis each way) and has to stop for gas every other day. You would need a bigger SUV than that and most suck up the gas. My friend has an Envoy and really loves it and doesn't really complain much about the gas though so you may want to check that out. If you get a van which will likely be cheaper than a big SUV you could easily fold down the back seat and store your stuff and put the dogs back there. I think you would have plenty of room. I have the Caravan with two captain seats in the middle and then the bench in the back. When I fold it down it is flat with the back of the van. It's great. My van was only $18k.

7. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I have a Chevy Tahoe and I love it! We go camping often, and there is always plenty of room for the kids, all their stuff, all of our stuff, and the camping stuff. It also has the 3rd row seats, so we can fit extra people if need be. It doesn't drive like a huge car, and the gas mileage is decent. Good luck with your decision!!

8. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

Thanks- it won't be too soon, but need to think about it. Never wanted to be a minivan person! My other concern with them though is winter driving. We would like something AWD if possible. Do they make AWD minivans?

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That was our concern too living in the Northeast. The Toyota Sienna has AWD. We have three kids, so we use all three rows, and we still have plenty of room in the trunk space! And if need be, when I don't have the kids and need to carry large items or whatever, I can take out the boys carseats and put down the last row and have tons of room. Definitely shop around! We love the van! And I realized a few weeks ago, I will have it until they have gone off to college.... :laughing:

10. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I have a Honda Odyssey and I love it. IF you dont want to go the mini van route, the Pilot is nice and has a third row of seating, handles nice too. There is also the MDX, which is Acura.

11. carrie-

carrie- Well-Known Member

Suburban. We have two dogs too. With all the girl's stuff and the dogs (who sit in the back cargo area, and my husband insists the golden gets plenty of room) we also have a rooftop carrier! Yes, you can run out of space even in the biggest passenger vehicle out there. The double stroller we have is huge!

12. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I loooooooove my Sienna. Love it. Would never trade it for any SUV. So much easier when they're toddlers because a van is a bit lower, not so much climbing in and out carrying babies. Vans are really designed for people with young children. I can fit all four kids and luggage, no problem. And my two big kids are 5'9" and 6'1". They sit in the third row.

13. sdmommy

sdmommy Well-Known Member

I drive a Nissan Quest and I love it. It is very roomy and it holds all the stuff a family of 7 needs. My 2 year old and 14 year old use the third row and the twins are in the middle bucket seats.

I totally understand you about not wanting to go the van route but you might give it a chance. Like the others said, a SUV is really not comparable.

14. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

We have a Pontiac Torrent and LOVE it. We did initially think we might need a van (although I was so against it!!!) but then we tried fitting 3 car seats across and it fit!! So there is no way we are giving up our beloved suv! lol

The Torrent is fantastic - has tons of cargo space in the back. The back seat can move forward or backward 3 notches (so for more leg room/less trunk space or more trunk space/less leg room). We fit our 85 lb Lab in the back, as well as 3 baby seats.

It's pretty reasonable on gas mileage and looks sporty! You can also get it in AWD if you want!