We are poor....

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ahmerl, Oct 15, 2008.

1. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

We are really really trying to save money....We use Pampers cruisers size 4 for daytime and Huggies overnights size 5 for Jack at night (lily just wears the normal pampers for bed).

I hate to switch to the brand that Costco carries..I don't even know what it is...but necessity is dictating otherwise.

Do you use them? Is it a good deal? Do they also carry Pampers or Huggies?

Anyother ways to save money at Costco that work for you?

Thanks!

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We tried them...but had a lot of leaks (esp poop- YUCK!) and switched back to Luvs/Pull-up combo.

Go on webiste - get on their mailing lists, I get 1-5 coupons a month from Pampers, Luvs, Huggies, and Johnson & Johnson. with coupons and sales- it cheaper than Costco/Sams. Esp. if you have a store that doubles $1 coupons. I have even gotten good deals on diapers/pull ups at Target/Walgreens.

Usually Luvs is the cheapest for us---alwasy have a $1 coupon and then they go on sale for 7-8 $ around here...so 6-7 $ for a package is WAY cheaper than Costco and they work fairly well.

Good Luck! I know the feeling, we are pinching pennies here too...and trying to Potty train, but I swear I am spending more on wash water and REsolve carpet cleaner than I would on Pull-up diapers!!

3. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

In my experience, they are really good. I've used pampers, target, huggies, and kirkland/costco. They are a lot like Huggies, but not so much like pampers.

4. Cindy H

Cindy H Well-Known Member

I have used the sams store version for 10 years...5 kids and they are great. Once I bought a box that had some of the tabs attached wrong (a manufacture defect that was not caught) and they sent me enough vouchers/coupons to replace what I had and then some. So great customer service

CIndy

5. Colette+2

Colette+2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sullivanre @ Oct 15 2008, 11:55 PM) [snapback]1027660[/snapback]
    In my experience, they are really good. I've used pampers, target, huggies, and kirkland/costco. They are a lot like Huggies, but not so much like pampers.

Except when they wore preemies and newborns, we've always bought the huggies brand that Costco sells. I did try the Costco brand (kirkland I think) but didn't like them as much as the huggies ones.

6. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

We switched from huggies snug & dry to target brand also to save money! We also have used Walmarts parents choice. They both have worked great for us! We just put two diapers on them at night in case of leaks(but we always did that with the huggies snug & dry too!) With the cost of everything going up and up we had to start cutting costs!

Good Luck!

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

I used to buy Costco diapers, but found Target brand to be cheaper and work just as well. I like Target wipes as well.

8. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

I used Walmart brand for the twins when they were 1 + & they worked great.

9. sullivanre

QUOTE(Colette+2 @ Oct 15 2008, 07:58 PM) [snapback]1027668[/snapback]
    Except when they wore preemies and newborns, we've always bought the huggies brand that Costco sells. I did try the Costco brand (kirkland I think) but didn't like them as much as the huggies ones.

I don't even think they have newborn or preemie sizes, right?

10. Colette+2

Colette+2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sullivanre @ Oct 16 2008, 12:25 AM) [snapback]1027720[/snapback]
    I don't even think they have newborn or preemie sizes, right?

Right, that's why we didn't get them. Plus we got the really soft and expensive pampers then. But once they grew into the Huggies at Costco we've been faithful and found the prices pretty reasonable.

11. kribar

kribar Well-Known Member

I really liked Kirkland (Costco) brand diapers & didn't have many problems with them at all. I only changed to Huggies cuz they were even cheaper there. (Surprisingly). I LOVE their wipes and pretty much everything else there. I buy their meats & put smaller portions in ziplocs & freeze them. We buy paper plates/towels, toilet paper, etc.. Also, you get coupons books in the mail & can save there too.

12. sullivanre

Everybody I know who used Costco wipes loves, loves, loves them. They are pretty nice.

13. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We use the Costco (Kirkland Diapers) and their wipes and really like them. Prior to that we were Pamper's fans. We tried some other store brands like Target's and didn't like them. They do sell Huggies at our Costco, unfortunately my kiddos leak through Huggies.

14. TwoBits

TwoBits Member

I have used just about everything. I find that Costco really isn't that much cheaper and no better or worse in my opinion. I used to use Walmart brand but as they got to size 4 they didn't work well anymore. I also used Target brand for a long time. But again once they got to the 4 or 5 didn't work. Now I use White Cloud. You can only get them at Walmart as far as I know. I have had no problems with them and they are really well priced. HTH

15. Merijo

Merijo Well-Known Member

We use the Walmart "White Cloud" brand during the day and the Huggies overnights at night. We have a few leaks with big blow-outs but nothing major- no cleaning up the floor just a little poo on a onesie in the crotchal area. ;)
    I've used this system since we stopped changing diapers in the night. Pretty much for three kids. I like the White Cloud fit and feel it does save some money. All of my kids were sensitive to Pampers brand diaps. Something to do with the perfume I think.
    Good luck $$
    Mj

Adding - I really like the unscented wipes "parents choice". They are thicker than the huggies brand. Only down side is they don't "pop-up" from the wipe warmer. Have to open the top and find the edge. Now I'm used to it and find the other kind bothersome.

16. We have two sets of twins (ages 4 and 2) and have used the Costco brand (Kirkland) ever since we found out about the second set. We have never had any problems with them. They are just like Huggies.

We also use the Kirkland brand wipes and like them as well.

17. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had a diaper raffle for our shower-so we got many brands of diapers-mostly Pampers/Huggies(Pampers SwaddleMe is #1 for me!). Anyways...We have used the Costco brand since our diapers ran out! We have had no problems with them whatsoever. Although-I am interested to look and see how much the Huggies are! We had a TON of leaks with the Huggies.

As for the wipes-we LOVE them. I think they are great! For 702 wipes(8 packages of 88 wipes-something like that), it's just over $15. I like the wipes because you don't need a travel type of wipes container. I just grab the Costco ones. They are scattered throughout the house!

18. Joanna G

Joanna G Well-Known Member

We never tried Cosco as we don't live near one.
    We did use Walmart's White Cloud which we were satisfied with. We used Huggies Overnites for night though.

19. mommato3

mommato3 Member

When i used them they were great...but if you look, at least when i did a year ago, they are only about a dollar or two cheaper than the huggies...i use cloth now though so i cant give to much opinion on prices currently

QUOTE(ahmerl @ Oct 15 2008, 04:51 PM) [snapback]1027657[/snapback]
    We are really really trying to save money....We use Pampers cruisers size 4 for daytime and Huggies overnights size 5 for Jack at night (lily just wears the normal pampers for bed).

I hate to switch to the brand that Costco carries..I don't even know what it is...but necessity is dictating otherwise.

Do you use them? Is it a good deal? Do they also carry Pampers or Huggies?

Anyother ways to save money at Costco that work for you?

Thanks!

20. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

I used walmart brand (whitecloud i think).. And had no problems at all.. With DD1

21. gottagiggle&twins

gottagiggle&twins Well-Known Member

I didn't read your replies, but we buy our diapers at Costco. Ours has Huggies and Kirkland brand. I know a lot of folks have been happy with Kirkland but we had leaks with them. I switched to Huggies and have never had an issue. I also did the math, and the Huggies diapers actually cost less than the Kirkland diapers - at least in our location.

Edit to add: I also LOVE the Costco/Kirkland wipes. They are wonderful.

22. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I love the Kirkland brand diapers. Like the pp said they aren't really cheaper than the Huggies that they sell there but I prefer the Kirkland brand better and never had problems with them leaking (or when I did at night we went up a size). We actually tried pampers a little while ago with our son because we couldn't make it to Costco to get diapers and we didn't like the pampers, which is what we used until our kids got into the kirkland size diapers. I love their wipes and some of the other kirkland products at Costco. For us the milk is cheaper there than in the grocery stores and so is some of their fruit (like bananas). You just have to decide what you might want to get there and then compare prices. Sometimes they are better and sometimes the grocery stores are better. They do send out coupons every once in a while and that's usually when I stock up on paper towels and other non perishables since it's usually buy 1 get 1. I do buy some meat in bulk and when I get it home break it down to meal sizes and freeze it.

23. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Our Costco sells the Kirkland/Costco brand and Huggies. For the longest time they were both the same price per diaper, so I just bought whatever, both are good. Now the Kirkland brand is cheaper per diaper than the Huggies, so I've been buying straight Kirkland. I think they are fine, I don't have leaks or anything with them.

24. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

I loved Pampers swaddlers, then went to Pampers and pampers dry. Well i then received so many coupons for Huggies that we tried them. Loved them after they were in a size three. We buy them on sale at CVS and use coupons. Well recently i tried the CVS brand and the Playskool Rompers and the Rompers are really nice for this age. They are normally like 10.99 on sale and you can always find a 3.00 off coupon for them. I am pleased with them so we have started using those and huggies. I just stay stocked up on them so that i don't feel them hit me. I buy 1-2 packs a week. We don't have a Costco so i have no idea on them. I did not like Luvs or White cloud or parents choice. I might try target soon too.

25. LaRae81

LaRae81 Well-Known Member

I liked the White Cloud at Wal-Mart. They are cheaper in some sizes that the others.

26. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

Huggies are the only diaper that our boys don't leak through, so we buy the Huggies at Costco. They are slightly cheaper than the Costco/Kirkland brand. We also buy Huggies wipes at Costco. The best part is that every couple of months or so, Costco sends out coupon books with significant savings off of Huggies diapers and wipes. Often they'll have a coupon for $9 off if you buy both diapers and wipes. If only they had Overnites at Costco.

We buy many other things at Costco. We always think of Costco as having the brand name stuff for the generic price. For example, you may be able to get a store brand diaper for about the same price as Huggies at Costco, but the Huggies work better for us. We buy a lot of our kids' (and our) clothes at Costco also. You can get a Carter's outfit there for the price of a Wal-Mart store brand outfit (and resale of the Carter's outfit means that not only do you get the name brand, but you come out ahead after you resell it).

Some of our other favorites at Costco - meat (split and freeze portions), juice (Kirkland Signature grape juice is actually Newman's Own but much cheaper), cheese (split and freeze), bread, cereal, dino nuggets, goldfish, graham crackers, cereal bars, granola bars, shampoo (Kirkland Signature is excellent and cheap, cheap, cheap), body wash, toothpaste, toilet paper, paper towels.......you get the idea! All of it is super quality for the price of a generic version at Wal-Mart. Can you tell that we love Costco?! I think the only thing we don't buy there is produce, and that's just because we can't use the quantity before it goes bad.

27. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

I just bought a box of Kirkland diapers yesterday- I asked the gal when I checked out if I could return them if I didn't like them- she said no problem. So try 'em- it won't hurt! I typically buy Huggies there, but they are now .21 per dipe for Huggies and .19/dipe for the Kirkland. And you know how many we go through.... ;) Figured it wouldn't hurt especially w/ Christmas coming!

28. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

We do the Huggies from Costco too - the last time my husband was there they were cheaper than the Kirkland brand, although I have NO PREFERENCE. I have also used the Pavillions store brand (Safeway I think?) with the same results... I haven't priced it out for real because I like the convenience of getting a case or two at a time.

I laugh at designer diaper snobs!!! My SIL is one... only the best (read most expensive) for her baby's poop... Whatever - when was the last time you saw one of your babies stroking the "velvety, cloth-like cover..."
    Quick funny story, I made her an enormous 5 tier solid rolled diaper cake for her shower with over 500 diapers in it and she gave them all back to me because the diapers were not "the brand of our choice". Umm, ok, good thing I was pregnant with twins - we used 'em! :rolleyes:

29. leticiasnow

leticiasnow Well-Known Member

I buy whatever diapers I have coupons for and that I can get for cheap. I never spend more than $4 or $5 on a jumbo pack. We have Pampers, Huggies and Luvs. Target always has store coupons out for Luvs, which you can combine with manufacturer coupons. Earlier this summer Target had double coupons out for their Pampers diapers and wipes and I got about 30 jumbo packs and 30 three-pack refill packs of wipes dirt cheap.

We prefer Pamper Cruisers, but the others are good too. We used white cloud and target brand with DS, and they were fine too. I recently did a diaper study with the Parents Choice Walmart brand, and while they aren't as fancy and soft as name brand, they didn't do too bad.

If you contact each of the diaper companies and tell them you have twins (send a birth cert copy) or just call them, they will send you some nice high value coupons.

As for Costco, my mom shops there. I find though for me, I can get things cheaper using coupon at the store matched with sales. Although I know she ends up getting her membership back mostly because she has the premier or something that earns cash back.

30. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

I LOVE the costco (kirkland) diapers. We don't even have a Costco around here, so anytime we go see my mom in atlanta we always have to make a run to Costco to get diapers.

When I can't get them we use the regular huggies, and I can't tell one bit of difference between the two. I have never had a problem with their diapers, not once. Their wipes are great too!

31. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

if you live near a Wegmans the Wegmans Supreme diapers are the BOMB!

32. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I forgot, the Costco/Kirkland wipes are the best. Love them!

33. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaD @ Oct 16 2008, 09:00 AM) [snapback]1028523[/snapback]
    I laugh at designer diaper snobs!!! My SIL is one... only the best (read most expensive) for her baby's poop... Whatever - when was the last time you saw one of your babies stroking the "velvety, cloth-like cover..."
    Quick funny story, I made her an enormous 5 tier solid rolled diaper cake for her shower with over 500 diapers in it and she gave them all back to me because the diapers were not "the brand of our choice". Umm, ok, good thing I was pregnant with twins - we used 'em! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was with you, right up until I discovered that for some reason that I still can't figure out, our boys leak out of every single diaper brand except huggies. I too would return another brand in a minute because it would be a complete waste not to - huggies that don't leak vs. generic diapers that result in extra diaper changes, clothing changes, extra laundry, with the resulting extra laundry soap and wasted water -- it's a pretty easy equation! Now, if the generic brands didn't leak, no way in hell would I pay more money just so their butt said huggies!! :D

So don't judge us diaper snobs until you know the reason for our snobbery - some of us are just being practical. ;)

34. Cathmar

Cathmar Well-Known Member

I didn't have time to read all the responses, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat....

I don't LOVE the Costco diapers, but they do the job. What I do hate about them is the big KIRKLAND written right on the back of the diaper like an advertisement. It's like writing, "we buy cheap diapers" on your kids' butt.

35. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the replies, so I'm sorry if I am repeating anything.

Someone gave me a package of Walmart brand diapers and I have been really happy with them. Mine are mostly potty trained so we only use them at night. I've never had a leak. Kinda annoyed that I didn't start using them sooner... ;)
    Also, Costo wipees are THE best.