WE DID IT!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ECUBitzy, Jun 18, 2013.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

We've been dancing around potty training for a year. A year, people. We encouraged morning pottying and talked about panties and earrings (yes, I will bribe in a second) but didn't push it because... Because its hard, dangit. And we'd had one pretty epic failure last summer that resulted in a crying husband and a Clorox treatment of half of my house.

Well. On Thursday (my last day off for my four-day work week EVER, sob) I took their diapers off and said "we're potty trained now and can only wear diapers at night!" And so they did. They were scared to poop in the potty that day and held it until they slept.

On Friday, Paul kept them in panties and we cheered and said "you can poop in the potty!" And they did.

We went with no diapers and only panties ALL weekend. We even ran errands. Not a single accident.

Y'all, we are flipping POTTY TRAINED!!!! Squee!!!

I know I asked at some point in the past, but where do panties run the smallest? No character panties, though- so far my kids don't know who Dora or anybody is and I like it that way.

I'm so stupid happy. I thought it was going to be so bad and I think they were just ready. POTTY TRAINED!!! :smilie_xmas_116:

3 people like this.
  2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Hooray!
    Way to go Alexis, Samantha, Stephanie, and Paul!!
    :panties: :woohoo:

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I'm telling you, 3.5 is the magic age!! All three of mine were 3.5 and I swear, it just magically happened!

Congrats...it is SO excitng, isn't it?! :woohoo:

1 person likes this.
  4. ECUBitzy

Jori, it's like their little brains suddenly connected all the dots. I'm so stinking proud of them.

I mean, this practically erases the spectacular meltdown that Alexis had in front of the neighbors tonight. She's a smart cookie, that one. ;) I was spitting mad and she was screaming and all of a sudden she stops and goes to the potty. And all was forgiven. I went out and bought cupcakes. I'm so thrilled to turn this corner. I can't wait to go buy more panties and some earrings for them.

1 person likes this.
  5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I'm so happy for you guys! It is just the.best.thing.ever!!!

6. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

When they are ready they are just ready! So happy for you all. :panties:

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:woo:

Congratulations!

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Woohoo!!!! Way to go girls!!!!!:)

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

You can find non character panties at kohls, target or walmart really. There are some with pictures that are not characters too.

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's too bad your kids don't know Dora, because then you could sing nananananannana WE DID IT! We did it! Hooray! We did it!!

Seriously, potty trained kids is magic. I don't know what clicks in their heads, but when it does it's just amazing. And for me, one of those parenting lessons.. like DUH, wait until they're ready! :lol:

11. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

YAY!!! :clapping: :clapping: All of my kids were over the age of 3, I did "try" before that with Sean and Kaelyn but it failed miserably! But by waiting, it was almost magical how fast they got it!

Except Liam, who still has accidents frequently :aggressive: He's a whole 'nother story.

12. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is great news. I know my girls used to have size 2/3 underwear from children's place and maybe gymboree. We also did disney princess and 101 dalmatian underwear (hanes I think) from target. I would take them to target or walmart, have either you or your DH pick out 2 or 3 packages that don't have characters on them and let them pick which ones they want.

13. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Nobody buys me cupcakes when I pee in the potty! Jeez I am missin' out.

5 people like this.
  14. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Way to go! [​IMG]

15. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was thinking the same thing! Of course I would no longer fit into my clothes...

1 person likes this.
  16. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

When we were potty trained, I bought character underwears to encourage them. But really didn't work that well lol. Now I only buy regular underwears. I prefer whites. For my girl, I always buy whites with some little prints on the front. Boy underwears do have small extra fabrics on the front. So they know which are the front and back. I realized non character underwears are way softer and better then char ones. I always buy them at Walmart; cheap and good. Good luck.

17. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Way to go!!! :panties:

18. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Wierd. The page just ate my post. Gonna try to recreate!

Congrats! Mine were about the same age when they finally potty trained. Something about it just clicked. The nice thing about them being older is that they were definitely physically ready and I can count the number of accidents we have ever had on 1 hand! I have no clue how you got this far without your girls knowing who any of the characters are though! Mine knew of them long before they were ever allowed any screen time because all the displays in the stores have clothing with them on it. All we had to do was walk down the aisle and it was "who's that mommy?" My DD was only about a year old when she had Dora PJ's because she grabbed them off the rack and it was not worth the screaming fit to deny her! Now they have plenty of exposure because they have given up nap and the only way to get through the 2PM-5PM period is with a carefully chosen Disney movie.

Anyway, I know at Walmart we have gotten ones with cute little monkeys on them, others with rainbows, butterflies etc. Gymboree has some really nice ones that are definitely more pricey but really good quality and if you look in the clearance bins you can often find them for cheap. Also, she has some hand-me-downs from a friend that are solid colors and are Hannah Andersson. I think she has those down to a size 3. Not sure where my friend got them but I am sure you can look online.

Congrats again. It is so freeing to not have to pay for so many diapers.

19. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

YAY!!!!! That's a great feeling to know you are over the messiest hump! [​IMG][​IMG]

20. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

the best underwear is Children's place - you can get rainbows, dots, and pretty much any non-character print/stripe etc you want...they hold up really well (Ian has some that I bought like 3 years ago that he still wears) Crazy 8 and Gymbo is good too...

if you're looking to stock for cheap hit Wal-Mart - they have 2T-3T and size 4...

21. ECUBitzy

I bought some 2T at Belk since our Crazy 8 didn't have any in stock. I've had to sew up the sides to make them fit, but the crotch dangles since they're too big.

You'd think that, with all of the early PTing out there, they'd have some smaller sizes.

Tonight we're ditching diapers at night! That's the last step!

22. ljcrochet

How did the no diapers go last night?

1 person likes this.
  23. ECUBitzy

Fantastic! Two dry little girls this morning. :) They both got up and went straight to the potty.

I went to Michaels yesterday and bought some tiny wood step stools for the bathrooms, so they should be more independent now. I've got to pick up a few more mattress pads sometime this week (to use at the beach and then we'll put them on at home). Where have y'all bought yours? The two we have now are ones we stole from my MIL.

1 person likes this.
  24. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Way to go girls!!! Such a big step, a huge relief! Lol!

As for mattress pads....I never bought any. :unknw: We used the pads from the hospital(love them!). I had a few, used those, and I think I bought some trainer pads for the mattress, at babies r us, but it was like a cloth and wasn't fitted. But we didn't use them too long.

25. ljcrochet

Right after my girls potty trained I used the crib pads from baby's r us on top of the waterproof mattress pad. Dani's pad cane from target or Walmart. Sydney's was from the mattress store we got the mates at.

Right after my girls potty trained I used the crib pads from baby's r us on top of the waterproof mattress pad. Dani's pad cane from target or Walmart. Sydney's was from the mattress store we got the mattress at.

26. ECUBitzy

On the heels of Meaghan's Facebook post (woo, Meaghan!) I wanted to announce to y'all that WE GAVE AWAY THE LAST OF OUR DIAPERS AND PULL UPS! We are *totally* PT'd. :)

I'd always said I wouldn't post about stuff like this on Facebook (the play-by-play) so thank goodness I have you ladies!

27. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Woooohoooo girls!!! What are you doing with that extra dough now?!? ;)

Lol! Oh Lordy it just hit me today I was ALL DONE WITH DIAPERS. Granted, my boys have been done for two years, and Annabella a year. But the child I watch three days a week, just potty trained doing the three day this last weekend(way younger and way faster than my crew!).

Alleluia!

28. ECUBitzy

I was so excited for you when I read it! :)

29. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! Don't u love it that u won't have to spend money on diapers and trash service? Lol

Save up diaper money and buy yourself something good: hm like workout clothes lol..

30. ECUBitzy

Ha ha! I need a new sports bra! The one I'm using is from HIGH SCHOOL and my girls have grown and changed quite a bit in 13 years and two kids! Good tip. :)