We don't call them "the twins"

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Shohenadel, Feb 22, 2012.

1. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

I call J&Z "the babies" (as does everyone in the house and my bff.) I have 4 boys so calling them would be very amibiguous, "littles" just never rang for me and "twins"? well, it just didn't feel right. Can't say why but it didn't. I don't have an aversion.

On a side note, I avoided the term so completely that J&Z didn't even know they were twins until they went to VPK at 4 years old and Zachary had B/G twins in his class and he learned what it meant. He came home asking about it, he didn't believe he and Joseph could be twins because they were both boys and Brooke and Tyler were boy/girl. lol

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I have only ever referred to them as "the boys" even when pregnant

3. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I call my girls either "the babies" or "the girls", never "the twins". No idea why, I just don't like the term. We do talk about the fact tat they are twins, mostly for the benefit of my oldest, and he's starting to understand. The poor kid has ID sisters in his class this year...seems as though he can't escape the "twin" experience either :).

4. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

We don't normally either. I have twin nieces as well so my parents will group them as the "twin girls" and the "twin boys" (I have to older girls and my other brother has 2 older boys so this is how we distinguish them I guess) But I myself call them the boys. I have a friend who has b/g twins and 2 older girls... she refers to them as "the twins" but I think b/c she can't say "the boys" or "the girls" she does also say the younger 2 or the older 2 as well.

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I'm like this.
    It neither bugs me or thrills me. It's just like whatever. :)
    they ARE twins and I don't see this as a negative like soo many do.?
    If someone calls them that, I'm fine and don't see it as derogatory.

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I refer to mine as "the twins" all the time! Either that or "the girls".