We had to call poison control because I overdosed Irelynd

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 2IrishBlessings, Feb 22, 2007.

1. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

Well its been a chaotic day for me. We are in the middle of packing and getting ready to move. I just got over Bronchitis and my girls are recovering as well. I havent had much sleep lately and been stressed out to my max. Irelynd and Shae both have been coughing a little.. its much better so but still wakes them up at night. I decided to give them the medicine our Dr gaave them. Premethedone with codeine. I filled the first dropped to the right dose and gave it to Irelynd. Without looking or thinking about it I filled it up again and thought I gave it Shae and gave it to Irelynd. If Shae hadnt said" Hey Momma wheres mine" I wouldnt have even noticed. Since to much can call respitory failure I immediatly called poisone control. At first she said I had given her a lethal dose and needed to call an ambulance. HOLY SH*T I almost freaked out, my heart was raising and I am sure I was white as a ghost. Then the lady at the poison control asked me to repeat the dosage and she said she had heard me wrong. She remeasured and let me know that I need to watch Irelynd for the next 4 hours for any strange behavior or if she fell asleep and couldnt be woken up. She didnt need to be rushed to the hospital. 2 and 1/2 hours later I called back and talked to the same lady and she said that we where in the clear now.. if Irelynd was going to have a reaction she would have by now. I so just want to kick myself in the a$$ for this. So many what ifs and I should have's went through me head. Thank God she is ok. But it was really scary. for awhile.

2. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

Well its been a chaotic day for me. We are in the middle of packing and getting ready to move. I just got over Bronchitis and my girls are recovering as well. I havent had much sleep lately and been stressed out to my max. Irelynd and Shae both have been coughing a little.. its much better so but still wakes them up at night. I decided to give them the medicine our Dr gaave them. Premethedone with codeine. I filled the first dropped to the right dose and gave it to Irelynd. Without looking or thinking about it I filled it up again and thought I gave it Shae and gave it to Irelynd. If Shae hadnt said" Hey Momma wheres mine" I wouldnt have even noticed. Since to much can call respitory failure I immediatly called poisone control. At first she said I had given her a lethal dose and needed to call an ambulance. HOLY SH*T I almost freaked out, my heart was raising and I am sure I was white as a ghost. Then the lady at the poison control asked me to repeat the dosage and she said she had heard me wrong. She remeasured and let me know that I need to watch Irelynd for the next 4 hours for any strange behavior or if she fell asleep and couldnt be woken up. She didnt need to be rushed to the hospital. 2 and 1/2 hours later I called back and talked to the same lady and she said that we where in the clear now.. if Irelynd was going to have a reaction she would have by now. I so just want to kick myself in the a$$ for this. So many what ifs and I should have's went through me head. Thank God she is ok. But it was really scary. for awhile.

3. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad she is ok and didn't need to go to the ER. It must have been a harrowing experience for you. [​IMG]

4. Jocelyn5173

Jocelyn5173 Well-Known Member

Please don't kick yourself. Accidents will happen and at least this one was minor.

When the kids were 4 months old, Braeden was on digoxin for his heart and Mimi was on Zantac for reflux. I fixed their bottles and got their meds ready and laid out by their bottles. I changed Mimi and handed her off to Joe to medicate and feed while I changed Braeden. When I came back into the living room to feed Braeden, his digoxin was empty and the Zantac was still full!!!! He had accidentally given Mimi the heart medication! We call poison control and they had us rush her to the ER where she had to drink the charcoal stuff to induce vomiting. Since she didn't have SVT like Braeden, they were worried that the digoxin would slow her heart down too much and cause problems. To this day, Joe is still scared to give them meds and will triple-check with me first.

5. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for the scare! I can totally see that happening with busy tired (sick) moms of many kids (twins or singletons).

Just FYI, I had scares of another kind. Somehow Josh got a hold of my febreeze and the no rub sunscreen (not at the same time tho). I found him sucking on the nozzle [​IMG] A frantic call to PC, and found even though both say keep out of reach of children (DUH), and to call PC if they ingest any, they would have to ingest a LOT of it to even just make them sick (not fatal at all). WHEW! Its amazing how high they can reach up!

[​IMG]

6. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your scare. Don't beat yourself up too much. We've had similar experiences here with exhausted parents and medication dosages. You reacted perfectly and handled the situation very well. I'm sure it was terrifying. [​IMG]

7. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

Oh My! How frightening! I am surprised this doesn't happen to all of us more often. It is so easy to be distracted and tired AND our kids look alike!

When the girls were newborns and I was breastfeeding at night I accidentally fed one of them twice and didn't feed the other! [​IMG] I couldn't figure out why one of them kept crying after the feed...she was hungry! yikes.

So glad it all worked out. Hope you get some rest and everyone feels better soon.

Lisa

8. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You'd think they'd train them at poison control not to use the phrase "lethal dose" before being sure. JEEZE!

Glad it turned out okay!

9. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

How scary! I'm glad she's ok! Don't be too hard on yourself, mistakes happen!

10. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

You poor thing. [​IMG] That must have been very scary, especially after the poison control lady said it was lethal. [​IMG] I'm so glad it ended up not being a problem.