weaning, extended nursing, introducing milk

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by seamusnicholas, Mar 31, 2012.

1. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

So we are approaching one year. We both are currently loving nursing but I am ready to introduce milk. We do not really have a schedule but I know I nurse her each time before she sleeps. I dont nurse her 1st thing because she nurses through the night. So I guess it looks like this:

Morning nap 10:00- nurse

Afternoon nap- 2:00- nurse

before bed 8:00- nurse

2 times in the middle of the night

So I want to start cutting some out. I know I can't cut out night feeding because she sleeps with me and I wont let her cry.

So should I give reg milk from a sippy at morning nap and afternoon nap? Im so confused though because I dont mind nursing her at those times. If I could choose one time to continue to nurse her it would be before bed because I like that time with her. I would love to not nurse her in the middle of the night but when she wakes in her crib for that first time, she needs me! :) Then she stays with me the rest of the night. I have put her back in her crib and she wakes for the 2nd time needing to nurse.

From what I am saying, it seems like extended nursing is what I seem to kind of want but at the same but at the same time, I am ready to start being done...kind of! :) I'm so confused!

2. seamusnicholas

Im just thinking...her day time nursing sessions are short. Maybe I should give her regular milk before naps (making those be the elimination feedings) and she will drink more and then not be hungry in the middle of the night.

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I think you could continue co-sleeping and still work on eliminating the night-time nursing sessions if you feel that is your true preference. I did that with one of my twins at 12 months (the other was already STTN) because I loved nursing them but I needed more uninterrupted sleep. We did not let them cry either.

Night-weaning took some help from DH because it did not work when I was close by and smelling of milk, so I moved out of the bedroom after the midnight nursing session until about 5 am (that is when the baby STTN usually came for a dream-feed) and DH was there when the baby woke up with cuddles and a watered down bottle of formula which we then switched to just water as we realized that she was not drinking much and obviously did not need the milk at night any more; she was low on the curves so I was reluctant to limit her at night if she really needed it. It took a few weeks and I do not think I could have done it without DH's help and temporary sacrifice of sleep, but once she got used to it I could soothe her too without nursing. She did start nursing longer during the day to compensate but that was fine for me.

GL with your decision!

1 person likes this.
  4. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We introduced milk at a year and still nursed until they weaned themselves at 19m. I started doing the milk with meals because I introduced it in a sippy, not a bottle. I continued to nurse when they wanted, and they dropped their pre-nap nursing by about 14m. After that they continued to nurse morning and bedtime and anytime they needed it for comfort, but had milk during the daytime.

1 person likes this.
  5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

With my twins, I introduced milk at 1 yr. They just got too busy to really notice that they were not nursing much during the day - and eventually we just cut day time nursings unless they were traumatized for some reason ( if they got hurt or shots ...) . I nursed them at night as usual until 28 months.

1 person likes this.
  6. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

Ditto this!
    I think mine too just gor busier through the day and forgot to feed. T2 self weaned around 20 months and T1 is down to a quick bf before bed at night. She didn't STTN until she stopped feeding TTN either, which only happened recently!! They are still in my room in their own cots too - just easier!
    I have been over it at times lately too.
    We introduced milk at around 14 months in sippy cups with their lunch after they had a sleep. Their not overly fond of it but will drink it. I'm not too worried though as my girls eat plenty of cheese and yogurt.

Goodluck.
    Ending breastfeeding is a bitter/sweet thing but do what your comfortable with, go for longer if thats what you both want!

1 person likes this.
  7. seamusnicholas

I introduced milk this week and she spit it out. I tried a handful of times. I am only doing organic with her. I personally notice a taste difference between regular milk and organic. One night this week, I went in and gave her milk (bottle) and she of course spit it out (after having a few sips here and there throughout the day). Then I offered her her sippy cup of water. THen I help her for a bit and put her in her crib and laid at the foot of my bed. She was kind of jsut hanging out and after a bit stood up and of course wanted out. I brought her to bed with me and instead of feeding her, I just kept telling her to lay down. She just crawled all over me and dh. After an hour, I gave in and fed her and she fell asleep.

But anyway, it looks like I am going to just keep going along as we have been and let her lead me.