weaning from nutramigen to whole milk

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Brownie110, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Brownie110

Brownie110 Well-Known Member

My DS has been on Nutramigen since he was 3 months old ....we just had there 1 year old check up and the dr. gave the go ahead for milk.....any tips on how to make this easy???? anyone have any problems.....he does great with yogurt and cheeses...

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Slooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww

I'd do a one to 6 part mix for a week, then 2 to five part mix for a week, and so on until he was on complete milk. Since he's been on Nutramigen, I would think that he shouldn't do it cold turkey and a slow and gradual mix would be best for his belly.

3. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

The transition was easier for my son who was always on either Nutramigen or Alimentum than for Lily who was on AR. The Nutramigen is just sooooooooooo yucky tasting that Jack really enjoyed the milk as an alternative. The real problem that we had was going from the bottle to the sippy.

4. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I would say very slowly. We went from Nutramigen to Good Start at 9 months and still had to do the transition from that to milk very slowly for DS1. I would do it at least 1/4 at a time, or like PP maybe even 1/6th. Good luck.

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

Hannah was on Nutramigen. At one I tried to put her on whole milk and she wasn't tolerating it well. She went to soy for awhile, and then eventually to whole. I would do it slowly, 1/4 or so at a time.

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I went from Alimentum to a gradual switch to Soy for a couple of weeks and then to whole milk. Derek did not have any dairy or soy products until after a year old and I thought soy would be a better first choice.

7. Brownie110

Ive been giving him 5 ounce formula and 2 ounce milk.....how long do I do that for ....when should I do more milk , less formula

quote name='DATJMom' date='Apr 6 2009, 09:51 PM' post='1262055']
    I went from Alimentum to a gradual switch to Soy for a couple of weeks and then to whole milk. Derek did not have any dairy or soy products until after a year old and I thought soy would be a better first choice.
    [/quote]

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I did the mix for about 3-4 days and then I went to all milk.

9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Brownie110 @ Apr 8 2009, 07:25 AM) [snapback]1263886[/snapback]
    Ive been giving him 5 ounce formula and 2 ounce milk.....how long do I do that for ....when should I do more milk , less formula

Is he gassy at all or upset tummy from it? I'd give it at least 3-4 days to see how he does. If all goes well, you can probably bump up the timing and the mixture ratio.

10. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

E & D are lactose intolerant so they went to Lactaid milk. Its the only one their tummies can take. Take it very slow. Dont just give it to them straight and right away. Mix it together increasing the milk amount and lowering the formula amount. It took about a week for us to get them fully switched over. Good Luck!

11. Brownie110

Thank you for the tips.......Hes doing good on it today....still doing 5 ounce formula 2 ounce milk..

QUOTE(my7kids @ Apr 8 2009, 09:21 AM) [snapback]1264038[/snapback]
    E & D are lactose intolerant so they went to Lactaid milk. Its the only one their tummies can take. Take it very slow. Dont just give it to them straight and right away. Mix it together increasing the milk amount and lowering the formula amount. It took about a week for us to get them fully switched over. Good Luck!

12. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We did a week with the first level, then we would increase the amount and see what happened for a few days. If all was well after about 3 days we would increase it again. If it seemed to bother him we would wait a few more days or back the amount back down some. It was just trial and error. I think it took us close to 3 weeks to make the switch completely.