Weaning off of formula

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DBist77, Dec 11, 2006.

1. DBist77

DBist77 Well-Known Member

How old were your children when you weaned them off formula onto whole milk??? What age did your doctor say to do it and did you do it before your doctor said to do it???

Stacia

2. DBist77

DBist77 Well-Known Member

How old were your children when you weaned them off formula onto whole milk??? What age did your doctor say to do it and did you do it before your doctor said to do it???

Stacia

3. CapeBretoner123

CapeBretoner123 Well-Known Member

At one year we weaned them from formula to milk. Same as others we just added a bit of milk at a time to the daily bottles then gradually it was all milk. Only changes were poops(eewwww!). Took me a bit longer to go 100% cold milk.

4. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

We switched at 15 months, which was 12 months corrected age for us. Same thing - over the course of a week or so we gradually added more milk and less formula. They had already been drinking their formula cold for months, so they got their milk straight out of the fridge.

Good luck!

-Rachel

5. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

Yes, their first year appt would be 3 weeks after their first bday. They will be 1 on 12/21 and I started to put half whole milk/half formula in their bottles last Monday and they are now drinking just whole milk. They only need formula for the first year from what I was told. Their Pedi did mention starting whole milk when they are 1 so I decided to since their formula is $25 a can and I will not be getting it through WIC after 12/21. Thankfully, it was easier then I thought it would be.

6. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I switched my at 11.5 months because my husband ran out of formula which he shouldn't have they only took two bottles at day each but he fixed them alot of bottles that day and when I went to feed them their night time bottle, no formula so I had no choice. I had to heat it a couple of times but then I took the bottle a week before they turned one and now it is straight cold milk in sippy. They had no trouble at all. I didn't even have to do the half milk, half formula thing it was actually easy.

7. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

We transitioned ours at one year right after we got the OK from the doctor. We also did the mix of formula and milk for a week or so and they had no trouble with it.

[​IMG]

8. jultaria

jultaria Well-Known Member

At our 1 year appointment the doctor said to just switch them over to whole milk. I said well I gave them half formula and half milk and daniel pooped way up his back. So the doctor said to gradually transition them by mixing it 25 percent milk the rest formula and increase it every 3 days until his tummy can handle it.

Keep an eye on their diaper the first day or two you start, hopefully you can switch easily [​IMG]

9. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

The girls were on milk at 13 months old. I did the gradual weaning where I replaced one ounce of room temp formula with one ounce of cold milk every 2-3 days. They didn't even notice.

Our pedi recommended moving them to milk at 12 months old.