Weeks Gestation vs Size of Uterus

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kristykimmle, Feb 17, 2009.

1. kristykimmle

kristykimmle Active Member

Yesterday I had my 21 week appointment with my ob/gyn. She said that my uterus is measuring at 32 weeks gestation. Is 11 weeks ahead of real gestation time normal for twins. Originally, I though my Dr. said 4-6 weeks was normal, but she did not act like anything was wrong. I should have asked, but I didn't really think about it until I got to my car...you know how that is!

Thanks,
    Kristy

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At 28 wks I was measuring at 40. And at 33 I think it was I was measuring at 48! :D

This is my third full term pregnancy, my 5th pregnancy overall, so my uterus is ALL stretched out already! Plus at 31 wks my babies measured at 4 lbs 4 oz, and 4 lbs 11 oz already, so they are big babies.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, babies could have just had a growth spurt, or be laying all crooked or something! :)

3. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

That sounds very similar to mine. By 37 weeks I was measuring around 52cm. Alot has to do with the positions of the babies as well. Mine were breech and transverse most of the time. Course it was my 5th pregnancy, but this time around I'm measuring right on for 19 weeks. Do you know what type of twins you have? I know they might be concerned if you have mo/mo or mono/di twins since fluid imbalance could make the uterus larger.

Sorry Kristy, I just realized it's you! Yes, because your babies are mono/di I would be a bit more concerned since you are already worried about the fluid levels. Were you able to get another u/s? Wow, I would definitely let your Dr. know why you are concerned for this particular reason. Can you ask to get a Peri?

4. heather.anne.henderson

heather.anne.henderson Well-Known Member

I have measured 4-6 weeks ahead every time I go to the doc.

5. kristykimmle

QUOTE(pamallhoney @ Feb 17 2009, 11:54 AM) [snapback]1193154[/snapback]
    That sounds very similar to mine. By 37 weeks I was measuring around 52cm. Alot has to do with the positions of the babies as well. Mine were breech and transverse most of the time. Course it was my 5th pregnancy, but this time around I'm measuring right on for 19 weeks. Do you know what type of twins you have? I know they might be concerned if you have mo/mo or mono/di twins since fluid imbalance could make the uterus larger.

Sorry Kristy, I just realized it's you! Yes, because your babies are mono/di I would be a bit more concerned since you are already worried about the fluid levels. Were you able to get another u/s? Wow, I would definitely let your Dr. know why you are concerned for this particular reason. Can you ask to get a Peri?

I am going to see a Peri tomorrow at 1:00 and they are going to do a second opinion Level 2 ultrasound. I have started drinkinng protein drinks and increasing my regular diet with high protein foods. I want to ward of this TTTS thing if possible!

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That sounds about right, you will always measure bigger and ahead with twins.

7. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

My doctor stopped measuring when I was 34 weeks. At that time I was measuring 45cm.... sounds normal to me!

8. mamamolly

mamamolly Active Member

My doctor also had told me that 4-6 weeks ahead is normal with twins. But she also didn't blink an eye when my uterus measured at 35 weeks at my last OB appointment (which was at 26 weeks)-- so that's 9 weeks ahead. Of course, these uterine measurements are so imprecise anyway, I wouldn't read too much into one way or the other. I did ask her if measuring this far ahead raised my chances of PTL, and she said no.

9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(2bmommyof3 @ Feb 17 2009, 10:42 AM) [snapback]1193129[/snapback]
    Yesterday I had my 21 week appointment with my ob/gyn. She said that my uterus is measuring at 32 weeks gestation. Is 11 weeks ahead of real gestation time normal for twins. Originally, I though my Dr. said 4-6 weeks was normal, but she did not act like anything was wrong. I should have asked, but I didn't really think about it until I got to my car...you know how that is!

Thanks,
    Kristy

I always measured roughly 10 weeks ahead. When I had them at 37.4 weeks, I was measuring 50 weeks - disgusting sidenote, when the doctor was stitching me up after the cs, he remarked to another medical person in the room about how giant and "boggy" my uterus was. It and I were fine though! :)

10. kristykimmle

QUOTE(mamamolly @ Feb 17 2009, 02:10 PM) [snapback]1193386[/snapback]
    My doctor also had told me that 4-6 weeks ahead is normal with twins. But she also didn't blink an eye when my uterus measured at 35 weeks at my last OB appointment (which was at 26 weeks)-- so that's 9 weeks ahead. Of course, these uterine measurements are so imprecise anyway, I wouldn't read too much into one way or the other. I did ask her if measuring this far ahead raised my chances of PTL, and she said no.

That's good to know, THANKS!

11. lorinboyett

lorinboyett Well-Known Member

At 18 weeks my dr told me I was measuring 26 weeks. I didn't think anything of it but now that doesn't really make sense because my stomach has not gotten very big.

12. kymbahlee

kymbahlee Well-Known Member

Measuring fundal height is a little imprecise. My ob. says it is best of the same person always does me as then it should be a little more accurate. I measure 8 weeks ahead. I am 28 weeks and measure 36. This is my third pregnancy. But I am tall with a long torso.

13. kittymum

kittymum Well-Known Member

At 29 weeks I was measuring at 36 weeks. My bubs are side by side though and hence I am very wide so I am sure if they were in a different position I would be even bigger. As far I see it, if I am getting bigger, my bubs are growing. Grow babies grow!

14. boog9902

boog9902 Well-Known Member

The day i had my boys i was 54cm !!!! and i was only 36w 2 days

15. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

I heard too that 4-6 weeks is "normal" but I think they are more concerned if you are measuring smaller than that. If you measure more, it's usually because of how the babies are resting.

16. sreal02

sreal02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(2bmommyof3 @ Feb 17 2009, 10:42 AM) [snapback]1193129[/snapback]

Thanks,
    Kristy

I just had my 30 week 1 day appointment today & I'm measuring @ 40 weeks. This is my 3rd pregnancy. My OB didn't seem concerned & even chuckled & reminded me that she told me I would get a lot bigger this time around, and a lot earlier. ;)