Weight gain?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kayleesmama, Dec 1, 2006.

1. kayleesmama

kayleesmama Well-Known Member

Hello ladies!

I am embarrassed to say at my last appt I had gained 12 lbs in 4 weeks!!! YIKES! I am now going every 2 weeks & go on Tuesday. I am terrified I have gained too much weight! My OB never says anything bad about it though. How do I slow down my weight gain? I've already gained about 30 lbs now. I'm 25 weeks.

2. kayleesmama

Hello ladies!

I am embarrassed to say at my last appt I had gained 12 lbs in 4 weeks!!! YIKES! I am now going every 2 weeks & go on Tuesday. I am terrified I have gained too much weight! My OB never says anything bad about it though. How do I slow down my weight gain? I've already gained about 30 lbs now. I'm 25 weeks.

3. socalkristi

socalkristi Well-Known Member

Don't worry I was very similar to you and now am over 36 weeks but have only gained 32 lbs. I can hardly eat now so I think it is was so smart to gain the weight early on. I don't think I have gained weight in the past month. It will slow down don't worry

4. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

My doc said she likes to see a 26lb gain by 26 weeks so you're not too far off. The babies are just in a huge growth spurt at this point, I wouldn't worry too much. [​IMG]

5. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I am 24 wks today and I have gained more than you! I'm not saying how much [​IMG] just more. I don't eat fast food and candy all day long. I try to follow the Dr. Luke diet as best as I can. Weight is an arbitrary thing, don't get too caught up in the numbers!
    Eating right = good building blocks = healthy baby!!! [​IMG]

6. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Just like Michelle said. I'm 35 weeks today and have gained about 55 pounds, but in the last month, I have gained only 4, and the babies are doing just fine. You really do slow down in the end - some of what you gain in the beginning is a storehouse for later on when you can't eat as much, your body uses that to nourish the babies. A lot of people worry if they are gaining too much or too little - if you are taking your vitamins and eating well with lots of protein and calcium, you should be just fine no matter what the scale says.

7. JASB

JASB Well-Known Member

Yes, Don't worry about the weight gain. I think there was a stretch when I gained a lb. a day. I am almost 32 weeks and I have already gained 55 lbs. My dr. said people will gain different amounts of weight based on their pre-pregnancy weight. I have slowed down dramatically recently only gaining a few lbs. in the past month. As long as your Dr. say it is ok then you should be fine.

8. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

ditto, don't worry about the weight, you will slow down when you get further along and you need the stored weight for the babies then [​IMG]

9. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Like the PPs said, it's good to gain the weight early in pregnancy. It gets a little more difficult later on as they babies take up all the space in your torso and your stomach doesn't have as much room. You're right on track for many of the recommendations for twin pregnancy weight gain. [​IMG]

10. Joyful

Joyful Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. I gained 40 pounds total and most of that was in the first two trimesters. I even lost five pounds in that last trimester. It slowed down for me at the end. You're doing great!

11. Beebs

Beebs Active Member

I've gained 39 lbs and I'm 24 weeks today... and I'm hoping that it'll slow down (good to hear it did for most of you) but I also know that it's temporary- the babies need the weight. And everybody keeps telling me I look amazing. I don't know about that... but I'm trying not to worry too much. Hope you can, too!

12. HT

HT Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you posted this! I'm 23 weeks and have gained probably 20-25 lbs (although the doc's records say only 16 lbs, but they didn't start weighing me until probably 3 months). Anyway, at my last appt I had gained 8 lbs. in 4 weeks and I felt horrible about it. Makes me feel a little better knowing the weight gain will probably slow down eventually!

13. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

I gained that in a week once...towards the end of my pregnancy [​IMG] I gained a grand total of 80lbs...and I promise almost all I hate was healthy foods. Although, I would gain it all again for the same outcome [​IMG]

14. TJCache

TJCache Member

11 pounds in 2 weeks. YIKES For a total of 37# I'm 29 weeks so right on target, but YIKES. I think it's mostly water retention, I've started to swell. Can't wait to start running again the number on the scale seems so surreal.

Here's to healthy Babies [​IMG]....and post birth EggNog!!!! [​IMG]

15. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Well, I'm up to 50lbs at 33 wks!! That's tremendous for me. I'm actually kinda proud of myself because I don't gain easily and at the beginning I was scared to death that I would never gain enough to grow healthy babies! No worries about that now, LOL.

16. kayleesmama

Thanks so very much for your input ladies! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! It sounds like I'm okay then, huh? I had a lady tell me last week at work...you look very "healthy"...I took that as "My goodness, you're gaining weight"...LOL!

17. MSB1203

When I was 26 weeks pregnant a nurse asked me how far along I was, so I told her and told her it was twins...she told me I better have them look again for a third!!! Then my DH's aunt swore to me that there was 3 instead of 2 and was so convinced that she bought three of everything for the babyshower!!! I think the moment I really knew how big I was is when my doctor pulled up my shirt to measure me and just started laughing and then said, "Well, you are certainly growing!" I am 5'7" and before I got preggo I weighed around 135-140 so I guess I did look really big to everyone else considering I weighed in at 222 the day the girls were born.

18. kayleesmama

Okay...so today one of my first grade students told me "You eat alot." I asked if he was calling me fat & he said "yes". I told him that was very rude & I am not fat...I'm having two babies (which i had not brought up to these particular students yet). Oh boy! [​IMG]

19. MSB1203

quote:
    Originally posted by kayleesmama:
    Okay...so today one of my first grade students told me "You eat alot." I asked if he was calling me fat & he said "yes". I told him that was very rude & I am not fat...I'm having two babies (which i had not brought up to these particular students yet). Oh boy! [​IMG]

Tell them you swallowed a watermelon...they might understand that better...NO, better yet, say, "Yes, I am fat b/c I didn't eat my vegetables and this is what happens when you don't eat your vegetables!!!" At least their parents will appreciate it. I am j/k...it was rude, but you know how kids are....they say WHATEVER they are thinking [​IMG]

20. Soon-2-BMomof3

Soon-2-BMomof3 Well-Known Member

I am so glad to read this post!!!!! I went to the doctor last week and actually got in trouble for my weight. I thought I was WAY under what I should gain (even though I started out a little heavy). My pp weight was 164, I lost down to 159 in the first trimester. Then last month I gained 5lbs, putting me back at 164. This month I gained 8lbs so I am 172. I thought 8lbs (over all-especially since it is the holidays!) in 21 weeks was really low, but my doctor said that it isn't so much the amount that I have gained, but the pattern...5lbs one month, 8lbs the next, etc. He said that if I continue that pattern then I would be in BIG trouble. I didn't really argue with him, but I was under the impression that the weight gain would slow on its own in the last trimester anyway. Oh well, I am not going on a diet or anything if that is what he thinks. I want big healthy babies so I am not going to avoid gaining weight, just make sure i try to eat as healthy as possible.

Ok, I had a mini-rage there and now I am done! Thanks for the reassurance!

21. Tina Ross

Tina Ross Well-Known Member

I'm glad to know I 'm not the only one worried about the weight gain..But after reading everyone else's response I'm not doing as bad as I thought..I go to the doc tomorrow but so for I have gained 21lbs..I go to the doc every 2 weeks and I'm usually gaining about 3 to 4 lbs each visit..