weight loss after giving birth

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mandywellman, Mar 19, 2010.

1. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

I am just curious I have gained a TON of weight during this twin pregnancy and mostly I am all belly accept for the fluid in my ankles and feet. I was wondering How much everyone gained during their pregnancy and how long it took you guys to get rid of the weight? If breast feeding does it take longer--since you are supposed to keep apetite up? Will I have my old body back? Any good tips on what to do to get rid of weight gain during pregnancy exp. being busy after the babies are born and not being able to work out yet?!?!

2. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

You might get more responses in the First Year forum, just FYI. I was slightly overweight when I got pregnant and then gained about 45 pounds. I lost most of the pregnancy weight by about six months and then continued to lose weight while breastfeeding so I ended up about 20 pounds under where I had started. I'm certain it was the breastfeeding that made the lose all the weight - I just could never eat enough to keep up with all the calorie needs. It was the easiest diet I've ever gone on!

3. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

I am just curious I have gained a TON of weight during this twin pregnancy and mostly I am all belly accept for the fluid in my ankles and feet. I was wondering How much everyone gained during their pregnancy and how long it took you guys to get rid of the weight? If breast feeding does it take longer--since you are supposed to keep apetite up? Will I have my old body back? Any good tips on what to do to get rid of weight gain during pregnancy exp. being busy after the babies are born and not being able to work out yet?!?!

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I gained 49.5 lbs with the boys. When I got home, I immediately got on the scale to see what my weight was down to... I lost 30 lbs after giving birth! And well, sadly, that was it... The boys were 13lbs combined.

Not sure about having your old body back...but you can get close. But I'm no expert, nor am I one to workout. That lovely twin skin-it does a number! :laughing:

Congrats on the pregnancy!

5. reggs55

reggs55 Well-Known Member

I gained 40 lbs. and it took a year to lose 35 lbs. I'm still working on that "last five pounds." During the first year I walked at least two miles 3-4 times per week (and I was exclusively nursing). Now that the kids are older for the past year I've been able to go to the gym 5-6 days a week for at least an hour. My body is pretty much (but not completely) back to normal. I still have flabby twinskin...we'll see if any of that can come off, but I'm skeptical...Good luck to you!

6. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I gained 55 lbs. with my twins. I had gained just under 25 lbs. with my first two (singleton) pregnancies; I lost the weight from those within eight weeks, I think. I started running after four weeks with both of my first two babies (I ran through both of my first two pregnancies).

I was extremely swollen with the twins - it probably took me more like 12 weeks to shed the weight - a combination of actual weight and fluid in my cankles. My doctor had encouraged me to eat ice cream (and I did - lots) when I was pregnant. With four kids ages four and under, it was harder to get motivated to run at the crack o' dawn, so I pretty much waited until the babies were three months old and could go to the nursery at the gym.

I have been 100% formula with all four kiddos.

I'm not the most extreme case on these boards, but I am fortunate to lose the weight quickly. But I am skinny to begin with and am in very good shape.

7. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Gained 40 lbs. Lost it all in about 9 months (although my belly will never look the same).

How?
    Breastfeeding
    Taking babies on walks

8. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

I gained 50 pounds, delivered 17 days ago, and have probably lost around 30 pounds (not sure because I don't own a scale). I have one recommendation: I purchased a postpartum girdle here. It's supportive, comfortable, and it makes me look better in my clothes.

9. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I gained over 70lbs in 28 weeks, and I barely had 5lbs of baby! Quite the feat! :nea: I don't know the exact number, but I lost a lot of weight within the first few days after delivery. I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight and into my pre-pregnancy jeans within 3-4 months of my girls being born. I have to say that to this day, although the scale says I weigh what I did before I had kids, nothing is where is started.

10. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It took me a full year to lose the weight and have my belly back to normal. I have a little extra skin the lower ab area but it's not a big deal.

11. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I gained 60 pounds. Some of that was fertility weight as well. It took me until the boys were about 18 months old to get the energy to get out and exercise. Once I made it a priority, the weight fell off. And I am happy to report I weigh less than I did when I conceived the twins. :woo: GL with the rest of your pregnancy.

12. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was terribly swollen (couldn't fit into flip flops) and gained around 80 lbs. I had di/di twins and lost 50 lbs in the hospital, although I was still swollen. It took awhile- maybe a little more than a month, for the swelling to completely go away. Breastfeeding has helped- in the first 2 months I was back to where I started, although now that we are doing solids, I need to stop eating like I was. Breastfeeding also will get your uterus to shrink back to it's normal size faster (nursing stimulates the uterus to contract).

Good luck.

13. citizenpelikan

citizenpelikan Well-Known Member

I still haven't given birth to my twins so I can't tell you that yet. However I do have two older kids and both times I gained what I can only call medium amount of extra weight. Not that much but more than just a little.

My experience is that you lose the weight fairly quickly, especially if you are BFing. HOWEVER those last 5-10 pounds seemed to linger on until I completely weaned my girls. That was 8,5 months with my first and 11,5 months with my second. This rang true for me even though that last few months with my girls I only BFed them at night/evenings.

14. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

I gained 55 lbs with my twin pregnancy. I lost 28 with delivery. They are now 3 1/2 months old and I have 5 lbs left to lose. Been breastfeeding (well pumping) and I've worked out a handful of times.. The twin skin is a whole different story though, I look in the mirror and don't look close to the way I did before having the babies, but it's only been 3 months, so I'm optimistic!

15. Tracy5780

Tracy5780 Well-Known Member

I gained 70 pounds with my pregnancy...My twins are almost 8 months and i still have 5 pounds to go until i am back at my pre-preggo weight....It took me 3 months to really loose the bulk of weight and thats when i felt i finally didnt actually LOOK pregnant anymore(people asked me how many months i was after i already had my twins)

I have not exercised at ALL....lost all this weight naturally on my own....I am not breast feeding

My remaining 5 pounds is conviently all rite in my belly! Hopefully now that it is nice i can maybe run it off!

Congrats and best of luck to you!

16. serialmommy

serialmommy Well-Known Member

I lost a bunch of weight after the babies were born, like immediately after they were born. I didn't gain a ton of weight, only about 18 pounds. I'm a bigger girl to begin with. At about 6 weeks pp I started to gain the weight back and I'm now back up with all that I lost. It's how it always goes with me. So to sum it up, weight loss? What is this steenkin' weight loss you speak of?

17. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

I gained 50 pounds. I breastfeed/pumped for 11 weeks and during that time I ate like crazy but the weight just fell off. After I stopped I was stuck for awhile so I had to diet to get the last 10 pounds off which took me about a month. Although I'm back to the same weight my body is not the same after the twins. I think I have a mild seperation of my abs and I have a small amount of loose skin.

18. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

I gained 50 pounds and lost it all in 12 days. Quite the feat, if only non-baby diets worked like that.

19. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

calories in < calories out
    Works every time!

First thing, don't try to lose any weight the first 6-8 weeks while you're settling into a routine. I actually found I had to remind myself to eat at first because I wasn't as hungry...until I was starving.

Right now, I am taking the stroller out for a walk 30-45 minutes every day. When it snowed, I went to the mall (with the seniors :) ). If I get bored, I'll drive to a different neighborhood and walk there. She always sleeps the whole time but wakes up when I stop...

I'm "sortof" following the old weight-watchers Core plan -- lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean meats, and so far losing 0.5 to 1 lb per week. I had gained 40 lb during pregnancy and lost about 20 after the birth/fluids in the first 4 weeks. I also think my muscles have only just shrunk back into place. And yes, we are BF.

Another tip--if you have a crockpot, set it up during the morning or afternoon nap. And make meals that have leftovers.

PS I'm 5'4" and WAS a size 14/16.

20. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

I can't speak for my twin pregnancy, but I did gain 40 pounds with my singleton. I was a size 6 before I got pregnant, gained all the baby weight in my belly, and I never did manage to get back down to a 6 between my son's birth and getting pregnant again. However, my son was nursing the entire time and also into the first two months of this pregnancy. Some women drop weight quickly because they are nursing. Unfortunately, a few of us retain about 10 pounds. I read once it's because my body was storing the fat to be sure I always had enough to make milk for my son. *shrug* It was really weird, as soon as my son weaned I lost weight, even though I was definitely eating enough during the pregnancy. I've basically resigned myself to keeping on an extra 10 pounds while I nurse the twins, then when they wean I'll see what happens.

If you eat healthy and exercise, you'll do fine. A friend of mine invested in a jogging stroller and went out every day, she lost the 55 pounds super quick!

21. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

I gained about 55lbs total w the boys. I don't know how much I lost right after, but they were a combined total of 14lbs... so I think I lost at least 20 of that right after. I nursed them for 6m and didn't loose any extra then, I had a hard time w supply so I was taking supplements. Now I am under what I was b/f I got preg w them. A combination of walking and being able to eat like a normal person lol I didn't walk/jog while nursing b/c these boys made me SO SORE!!!

22. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

With dd I gained probably close to 40 lbs and it never fully came off. But with the twins I gained 19 lbs and lost it all plus an additional 10 lbs at 2 weeks. I did breastfeed and I think that helped me lose weight. That said, even though I lost all the weight I have a ton of excess twin skin that I can only hope will shrink back down in time. Just focus on eating when you are hungry and eating healthy.

23. gyzmotwins

gyzmotwins Well-Known Member

I gained about 55 pounds with the twins... With the twins I retained a lot of water and so in the end I only had about 25 pounds to loose... it was hard to loose it and I never lost it all.. I only mixed breastfed for 1 month and so I don't consider that I lost anything breastfeeding. It took me a year to loose 20 pounds and then I got pregnant with a singleton girl with 5 pounds left. So I couldn't loose anymore. I gained 30 pounds with singleton girl. I breastfed her for 2 years. By the end of the first year, I was 2 pounds below pre preggo weight with the twins! Let me clarify in my case, extended breastfeeding ( meaning after I learned to control my voracious appetite after 6 months) the "brestfeeding diet" was, in my opinon" Gods way of rewarding me... I could eat what I want and maintain my weight. If I wanted to loose weight, I'd eat smaller portions and boom, the weight would just drop off! I only wish I had brestfed my twins, it sure would have helped instead of all those long hours on the treadmill :ibiggrin:

24. efmolly

efmolly Well-Known Member

Don't listen to everyone who says "Breastfeeding in the best diet!". It sure as heck isn't for me! I was thin to begin with and gained 50lbs (exectly what the doctor recomended) durring my pregnancy. I lost 35lbs of it almost immediately but the last 15 WILL NOT BUDGE! I am exclusively BFing so I was under the assumption that the weight would just melt off. Only in the last couple of months have I discovered that quite a few women hold onto some extra weight until they stop nursing. So don't beat yourself up if you're BFing and the whole "9 months on, 9 months off" doesn't apply to you.

25. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

Between fertility treatments (10 lbs) and pregnancy (almost 40 lbs) and weight never lost after first baby (10lbs) I had about 60 pounds to lose. I lost 40 in 3 weeks, and 50 by 6 weeks. I think drinking a lot of coffee, not having time to eat, and BF twins had a lot to do with it :rotflmbo: ! So I still have 10 lbs to lose, and I think those will not come out without effort.

26. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

I was like that, the weight never came off until I was done nursing.. it's nice though, once your milks gone you get to get new bras and new clothes ;)

27. aussiemom

aussiemom Administrator Staff Member TS Moderator

If you are interested in reading about postpartum girdles, check out this post.