Weighted blanket

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by mama_dragon, Aug 17, 2014.

1. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Anyone use one for their kid(s) and is it worth the cost? 

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a friend that uses one for her child who is autistic, but I'm not sure that it was beneficial for him? 

3. mama_dragon

I have a child with high levels of anxiety.  He has mild sensory issues but not enough to qualify for OT.  He has always had a lot of trouble relaxing at bedtime.

4. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

No idea about with children, but I love my weighted blanket.  I take it everywhere when I am going to be overnight.  I have sensory issues (I can't stand to be touched by anyone), and by the end of the day that blanket helps reset my nerves.  I made my blanket out of a flat sheet and poly pellets, so I cannot speak much to cost.  I will say that if you are looking to buy one, look for one that has a slipcover of some kind or a way to remove the weight for washing.  My washer and dryer will not wash my blanket, so it is washed in the bathtub by hand and line dried. 

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My friend's daughter with autism likes hers. She's having a new one made because she had a small lap sized one and she's outgrown it.

Interestingly, another friend of mine is making one for her son with sensory issues and she found a pattern on line and is headed to Jo-Anns to go make it.

6. mama_dragon

I found a pattern online and my mother is try to make it.  Thanks!  I wasn't sure I wanted to pay the price since they are so expensive to order one just in case it didn't help.  I don't have a weighted blanket but I do have a very heavy blanket that I LOVE.  It is so soothing.