weird gum "flap"/teething ?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ABeeCDandE!, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ABeeCDandE!

ABeeCDandE! Well-Known Member

My son has been sprouting teeth recently and the first three came in much the same way as all my older DD's did...but the lower left tooth now has a flap of red, painful looking skin/gum in front of it. If you didn't know it was skin, you would think it was an abnormal tooth (it is that big). Yesterday it was smaller and orangey...today it is bigger and red/bleeing looking.

Anyone else have this? I'll be calling the ped when they open. It doesn't look like it will dissolve away anytime soon.

Poor baby!

2. ABeeCDandE!

My son has been sprouting teeth recently and the first three came in much the same way as all my older DD's did...but the lower left tooth now has a flap of red, painful looking skin/gum in front of it. If you didn't know it was skin, you would think it was an abnormal tooth (it is that big). Yesterday it was smaller and orangey...today it is bigger and red/bleeing looking.

Anyone else have this? I'll be calling the ped when they open. It doesn't look like it will dissolve away anytime soon.

Poor baby!

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

No, I'v never heard of that.... [​IMG] Keep us updated!

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I hope you find an answer!

5. ABeeCDandE!

Thanks, here is what happened. By mid morning, the flap was turning white on the tip....after his nap, it was completely white. By the time lunch came, the piece had disappeared, I presume it fell off. CRAZY. I have never seen a tooth erupt in such a weird way.

6. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

That was strange! I'm glad it was no big deal.

7. secondtimeacharm

secondtimeacharm Active Member

I just wanted to say that ALL of the top teeth on one of my twins came through that way. It was like the whole bottom of the tooth came through at once (rather than a small point first) and pushed a flap of gum ahead of it. Seemed very painful to me, but he didn't put up too much of a fuss about it. For the other twin, they came through as I'm used to, with a little point coming through first.