well, that was unexpected

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by paperclippy, Apr 25, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

So I posted last week about preeclampsia and about our concerns with inducing early at 36 weeks. Well, turns out all that is irrelevant now because my water broke yesterday morning at 30 weeks 5 days, and now I'm going to be in the hospital until delivery, which could be as soon as tomorrow or as late as several weeks from now.

The water breaking was a complete surprise, and after calling the doctor she sent us straight to the hospital where they did a swab to confirm that it was amniotic fluid. They hooked me up to the monitors and I was having some contractions that were relatively close together and seeming to get stronger. The babies looked fine though, so they gave me a shot to stop the contractions so that they would have time to give me steroids to help their lungs and magnesium sulfate to protect their neurological function. My BP is okay so I guess I don't have preeclampsia after all, I just had one day with a bad reading.

In any case they put me on IV antibiotics to prevent infection, fluids, and the magnesium sulfate, plus gave me a steroid shot yesterday morning and a second this morning. They had me on the mag for 24 hours (including two boluses, one to get things started and one to slow contractions), which was pretty miserable, especially at the end. I got to go off of it at 11:30 this morning and feel way better now. They also had me on continuous monitoring for the babies and contractions for 24 hours. Once the second bolus of the mag was done, the contractions slowed down and stabilized and have been pretty much the same since then. I was a little afraid they'd start up again when the mag was turned off but they haven't increased.

They did an ultrasound yesterday morning and it looks like I only lost some of baby A's fluid, not all of it, and it's slowed to a slight leak. Both babies looked good on u/s and were 3lbs 1oz (A) and 3lbs 6oz (B). The plan is to keep me on a contraction monitor all the time, IV antibiotics until tomorrow (at which point I'd switch to oral), and intermittent monitoring of the babies because they looked really good all yesterday. Right now I'm having contractions a max of 5-6x/hour, sometimes less, and they're sometimes enough for me to notice but don't really hurt or anything. The plan is to keep an eye on things and wait, basically, If there's any sign of infection they'll deliver, and if I go into labor they will deliver, but if everything stays the same I'm basically on bed rest in the hospital for the forseeable future. Both babies are still head down and the doctors say I have a good chance of a vaginal delivery.
    This is a really good hospital with a level 3 NICU, so I'm trying to focus on the fact that my babies will have the best of care even if they come this early. Things look pretty stable at the moment, so I'm optimistic that we might make it a little longer, but then again everything seemed pretty stable at home until my water suddenly broke, so I guess pregnancy is just unpredictable. Tomorrow will make 31 weeks, and if we make it to 31, then we'll shoot for 32.

Anyway it's been up and down emotionally and I would appreciate any words of encouragement you might have to offer!

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

best of luck! I know that the steroid shots are very beneficial - and I agree mag is just nasty (I had pre-e)...make sure the hubby brings you something to connect to the internet and a LOT of goodies!

3. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

I hope all goes well! Sorry to hear your membranes ruptured early. You're right, that's great to be at at level 3 NICU. We're delivering in a hospital with one, too, and then you know you won't be separated from your babies after delivery, too. I feel so badly for the mommies who have their babies taken to a different hospital while they recover from birth in a different city.

4. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sounds like you are in good hands!! Good luck!!! Glad to hear you are off the mag sulfate, was on that stuff with all three of my pregnancies...hate that stuff!!

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: The steroid shots will help, glad you were able to get them. Hang in there.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Bleargh Mag sucks.

Hope infection stays away and you can give birth to two healthy babies! Please let us know how things go. If you get bored on bedrest, we can try to entertain you.

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's so great that you've had the steroid shot, and it sounds like you are being well taken care of. I love that you are shooting for one more week-keep up the positive outlook. :youcandoit:

8. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Good luck, I hope you make it as long as possible. Keep us posted on your progress.

9. MyOwnMeadow

MyOwnMeadow Well-Known Member

Wishing you the very best of luck and I'm sorry you're dealing with this! Keep fighting.

10. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

One day at a time!!!

11. paperclippy

Thanks everyone! I'm still stable for now and off of the IVs (just oral antibiotics now). I get the contraction monitor 24 hours a day but the babies only get monitored 3x/day, which is good because they have a heck of a time finding them on the monitors and it takes forever. We're at 31 weeks 1 day now, so I'll just be counting the days and seeing how it goes. Since yesterday I've been having a really hard time breathing when I try to recline or lay down at all which was a little scary, but apparently is just because the babies are taking up so much room that they're crowding out my diaphragm now. It's hard to imagine that they've grown that much in just a few days, but I guess at this stage they grow very rapidly. In any case the big challenge right now seems to be finding comfortable positions to sit and lay in, and trying not to get too worried about everything. I'll try to keep you posted about how things are going. The nurses tell me there's another woman with twins who has been here on bed rest for six weeks. It's hard to imagine being here that long but I guess it is possible! (I don't know if the other woman has ruptured membranes though, it could be something totally different).

12. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Hang in there! Sounds like you are at a great hospital.

13. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Glad to know things have settled down... I have been thinking about you and your babies!! I did a whopping 3 days on hospital bed rest on magnesium before my babies decided to come anyway at 31+6 weeks (5 cm dilated but my membranes were not ruptured), so I do know a little bit about how tough it can be. I can't imagine 6 WEEKS, either!!! Hang in there mama... every day is a good day!!

14. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just take it a day at a time! :youcandoit:

15. paperclippy

My two little girls have been born! Allison and Cecilia were born on 4/29 and are in the NICU but doing pretty well (at least, as well as is expected of 31-week preemies). Basically on 4/29 my blood pressures were getting higher and I had elevated liver enzymes, and I also lost a lot more fluid (not sure if baby B ruptured as well or what), so the doctors decided it was time to induce.

Everything went pretty quickly from there -- they checked my cervix before starting the induction and I was already at 3cm and 90% effaced. Between the time they plugged in the pitocin IV and delivery was only about 3 hours! After the pitocin had started I didn't think the contractions seemed to be that bad or getting too frequent, although they did last a long time, but the doctor wanted me to have an epidural in "early" in case they needed an emergency c-section or something like that due to my BP/liver issues. So when they came to start the epidural I was thinking, "Isn't this too early? It's not that painful yet." Well, good thing they came when they did, because everything kicked into high gear and by the time the anesthesiologist finished putting in the epidural I was completely dilated and ready to push, and they wheeled me straight into the OR. My OB barely made it in time! Both girls were delivered vaginally with no problems or complications of any kind, and I didn't even have any tearing since they were still small. They were both wriggling and crying when they came out, so that was a big relief.

In any case, I am being discharged today, but the girls will be in the NICU for several weeks. Allison is on a CPAP machine, but Cecilia is on a ventilator for now. They tried taking her off of it yesterday but ended up having to put her back on because she wasn't quite ready. They're both getting IV fluids and tube feedings, and Allison is getting phototherapy for jaundice. Since Allison is more stable, I got to hold her yesterday which was was simultaneously nice and terrifying (because she is still plugged in to so many machines). In any case, I'm hopeful that they will make good progress, but the neonatologists have basically set the expectation that they may be here until their original due date, which is at the end of June.

16. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I like their names :). What was their weight at birth? There are many ladies here who went through similar experiences with preemies, be sure to check the NICU forum if you have any questions. Good luck with them, keep us posted about their progress.

17. lcjackman

lcjackman Well-Known Member

Yay! Congratulations and good job momma!

18. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Congrats!

19. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Congrats! Awesome for making it as long as your did.

20. Krystine

Congratulations! I hope they both do great in the NICU and their discharge date comes soon.

21. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I am so happy for you! Congratulations, Mama!!! I hope you are recovering well!

Welcome to the world Allison and Cecilia!! Prayers for a healthy and speedy NICU stay!

22. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I hope you can take home two healthy babies soon!

23. Lrnomder

Lrnomder Well-Known Member

Congratulations and good job! Their names are beautiful!!

24. paperclippy

Thanks! Their birth weights were 3lb 6oz (Allison) and 3lb 10oz (Cecilia). They are making progress in the NICU but we expect they are going to be there for several weeks. I'm recovering pretty well physically and I was actually able to walk around the hospital today instead of having my husband push me in a wheelchair. It's funny because they didn't look as small to me until this morning when I saw some people with full-term newborns which looked huge compared to my little girls. They've started gaining weight as of today so hopefully they will continue to make good progress!

25. Krystine

I hope they get to gaining well for you. Are you pumping all the time? Glad your recovery is going well.

26. MyOwnMeadow

MyOwnMeadow Well-Known Member

Congrats on your girls!! I love their names. It's good to see that you are recovering and that they are gaining.

27. paperclippy

Krystine, yes, I am pumping every three hours and starting to get a good supply (at least, a good enough supply to feed them). It took a few days for the milk to start to come in but I'm getting 2-3oz per session now.

28. Krystine

Great! I had a pump a ton for my daughter who acted like a premie although she was full term but it was so worth it. I hope your babies get the hang of nursing as soon as they're big and strong enough.

29. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:Clap: Congrats on your girls! Beautiful names. :wub: In the NICU it's one day at a time. I have learned preemies are fighters. :good: Sounds like your girls are too!!

30. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations!!!

31. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

HOW DID I MISS THIS??

Congrats! It sounds like your girls are doing wonderfully! Well done with the pumping, too, mama! I love their names. :wub: