Well, we tried to take him off the prevacid

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MLH, Dec 2, 2006.

1. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

and I don't think it worked. Today was day 5 of no prevacid for Gabe and he was up at 5 am just screaming. He normally sleeps until at least 7. His little tummy was just gurgling. So, I gave him some prevacid and by noon he was feeling better and acting like his old self again. Poor baby. We tried....he's got a GI appt. next week and they alway ask us if we've tried him without the meds and now I can tell them that he didn't do well.

2. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

Oh no! Poor guy! I guess it is back to the prevacid huh? I'm sorry it didn't work out Melissa. [​IMG]

Bridget

3. BJAMs

BJAMs Well-Known Member

Poor thing! I understand because Amelia was on Prevacid until 16 months. She seemed like she was growing out of the reflux but as soon as we took her off, she was having problems again. So with my pediatrician's blessing, I gave up trying to take her off of it. We waited a couple of more months and she was fine.

Hang in there!

4. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh no, that stinks! I am going through the same thing with Kenna...tried for one day to take her off and she began spitting up. I don't know if thats a sign of it not working but she only does that when she is not on prevacid. I was thinking it would be nice to take them both off it. Do you use the solutabs?

5. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

From what I recall (mine were both on prevacid until over a year), Prevacid helps with the discomfort, but does not actually affect the spitting up.

Did you wean them off of it, or just go cold turkey? We gradually reduced. We were on the solutabs and went from one a day to half a tablet a day. They ultimately came off it when the next 3-month supply didn't arrive in time in the mail - I was sure it would be here the next day, so just skipped a day. Didn't come and I figured it would just be one more day, so we skipped a second day. Ultimately it came after they hadn't had it for over a week, so I figured they didn't need it anymore.

good luck!

-Rachel

6. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

quote:
    Do you use the solutabs?

Yep. He was on the liquid for awhile b/c he needed a little different dose than the solutabs, but he's been doing well on them.

We kinda just went cold turkey when we stopped them, so maybe that was the trouble. I can say he's much happier now that he's back on them. Now he doesn't want to take it though, so we have to put it in a little water and give him a straw and tell him it's juice...hey whatever works, right?

7. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

quote:
    so we have to put it in a little water and give him a straw and tell him it's juice...hey whatever works, right?

OMG thank you for telling me that!! I just tried it with him tonight and he took all of it so easily!! I was trying everything to get those dang granules down!!

Thanks!

8. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

quote:
    OMG thank you for telling me that!! I just tried it with him tonight and he took all of it so easily!! I was trying everything to get those dang granules down!!

You're very welcome!! See, that's part of what's so great about TS!

9. MJXplus2

MJXplus2 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by 4jsinPA:
    quote:
    so we have to put it in a little water and give him a straw and tell him it's juice...hey whatever works, right?

Thanks!

Me too! I'm going to try it tomorrow. My girls still have really bad reflux but absolutely refuse to take the prevacid anymore. Hopefully this will work for them too. I had almost given up on getting it into them anymore but they still spit up all the time and it has to be bad for them, not to mention nasty at this age!

Sorry your son hasn't outgrown it yet, but thanks for the tip.