Went in to L&D last night

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by BubbleDragon, Sep 18, 2009.

1. BubbleDragon

BubbleDragon Well-Known Member

Just hit 31 weeks, and even had a growth ultrasound and midwife appointment yesterday morning.

Then last night, as I was laying in bed, I started getting screaming pain around my belly. At first I thought it was because I wasn't supporting it right, so I tried pillows, rolled up blankets, different positions, the couch. Nothing helped. It was like my belly wanted to tear away from my body at the edges. It was very hard, and didn't come and go as I'd expected contractions to do. It lasted over an hour, and I was getting pretty nauseous. I tried relaxing, water, then sitting, walking, nothing really reduced anything.

Poor hubby thought this was it.

I called the midwife on duty and she said it'd be fine to come in to be monitored. We're about an hour away from the hospital. By the time I got there the constant screaming pain was gone, but I was starting to get intermittent contractions that hurt quite a bit.

They took tests, GBS, fFN, etc. All that was fine. My cervix was long and closed. Babies' heartrates were great. Gave me some fluids via IV. I feel stupid that that's what it was, and also that I wasn't recognizing contractions until I correlated things with the monitor. I guess I'm a little curious why the initial sensation didn't come and go like the contractions did, but we'll know to have me guzzle water next time.

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I am so glad that you went in!! It is so much better to be safe rather than sorry. You definitely did the right thing!! Glad to hear all is well! Keep up the good work Momma! :hug:

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Don't feel stupid. :hug: :hug: I had to go in twice because of dehydration. Yes, I felt silly but I was drinking so much I didn't know I needed more. It happens. I'm so happy you went in right away and that everything is okay. :grouphug:

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm glad you went in and got checked out. :good: It's always better to be safe and do that. Glad everything is okay. :hug:

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Oh bless your heart!! You did the right thing! and please don't feel stupid! It is always better to be safe! I swear I think being pregnant with twins makes you dehydrate easier! I felt like I drank an ocean everyday and I still had contractions I never had that problem with any of my singletons!

and WOW!! 31 weeks!! not much longer until you get to kiss those sweet toothless little mouths!! I am so excited for you and I can't wait to read your birth story!

6. Daffodils

Daffodils Well-Known Member

So glad you went in!! I've had to go in once before for decreased fetal movement, and its definitely better to be safe than sorry! That must have been so scary. I drink tons of water too but am always worried about dehydration. 31 weeks! You're almost there :)