We've entered a terrible new phase! PICS in last 2 posts

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dfaut, Nov 29, 2006.

1. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

While we were in TX last week for Thanksgiving, we entered the "don't strap me in a high chair or I'm going to make you PAY" phase in addition to the tantrum throwing phase.... [​IMG]

Now, I am decorating for Christmas today and they are fighting over absolutely everything!! [​IMG] It's just awful!!! I'm afraid that all the decorations etc. are only going to torture them!

I'm going to put the superyard around the tree and have other stuff up out of reach. Will they get used to it and eventually stop wanting all of it? [​IMG] Is Christmas going to be ruined by a screechfest for the next month?

Where did my happy, sweet, funny babies go? If you find them, send them home please [​IMG]

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

While we were in TX last week for Thanksgiving, we entered the "don't strap me in a high chair or I'm going to make you PAY" phase in addition to the tantrum throwing phase.... [​IMG]

Now, I am decorating for Christmas today and they are fighting over absolutely everything!! [​IMG] It's just awful!!! I'm afraid that all the decorations etc. are only going to torture them!

I'm going to put the superyard around the tree and have other stuff up out of reach. Will they get used to it and eventually stop wanting all of it? [​IMG] Is Christmas going to be ruined by a screechfest for the next month?

Where did my happy, sweet, funny babies go? If you find them, send them home please [​IMG]

3. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

Yep, mine do that, so now I let them climb into their chairs on their own and they are much happier. They are just gaining their independence which is hard. I let them pull over a folding chair, and then climb up that and climb into their booster seats.

As for the Christmas tree, we put it up, but without any decorations. I didn't want to battle that problem - and it looks just fine with pretty lights and the topper. I was thinking about buying some bows to put on the tree, and if they take those off they can't get hurt. I have to manyh breakable ornaments that I don't want them to get hurt on. So I will leave those boxed up for a year or two more. Last year we didn't even do a tree, so this year is an improvement.

Good luck!

4. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Welcome to the 18-24 month phase Diane! [​IMG] I can go on and on about the changes my kids have! How about the "I don't want to sit in the car seat" phase? Yes, not fun! I think it is the age and as the pp said trying to find their independence.

We have not put the tree up yet and quite honestly I am dreading it! I will keep you posted, but I also plan to use the superyard around it if it gets out of control with the touching!

5. WEME

WEME Well-Known Member

Right there with you. The girls started climbing in their highchairs themselves, but wanted to try to stand up in them..UGH! So, I'm getting ready to throw them down the basement stairs (the highchairs not the girls [​IMG]) and start letting them try to sit in grown up chairs at the table.

6. Becky444

Becky444 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a glimpse into my future or is it my present. Mine cried all day Sat as the Christmas stuff came up. I think it was overload for them. Now they just keep pointing to the musical things wanting more. Plus they figured how to get the annoying Christmas moose to sing, needless to say that is in the basement.

Good luck. [​IMG]

7. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

Last year we just decorated the top 1/2 of the tree looked kinda weird but at least they couldn't reach. Didn't really put anything else in their reach. I kinda feel like if it's within their reach it's torture becoz they just can't resist touching it. Good luck. I'm hoping I can decorate to the bottom this year now they're 3 haha

good luck

amanda (mom of jorja and jessica 3 years)

8. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

We put the tree up with the SuperYard too. Looks dumb, but I didn't want to NOT put my ornaments on it and I knew they would have a fit. So far, no problem with it.

Mine are in the "I refuse to wear a bib,"
    "I hate car rides no matter how short they are"
    "I will hump my way out of the car seat so you can't get me strapped in."
    "What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine and what's ours is mine"

You name it...we must've started the 18-month phase a month early. YAY!!!

Independence is a killer!

Hang in there Di...just another phase! At least we can all go through it together!

9. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Thanks all!!! I finished the tree and decorations, the morning will tell of the torture! I have a pic I will post of DS standing at the SUPERYARD pointing saying "a ball" "a ball" (sound familiar from my pumpkin patch post? [​IMG] )

So far we are ok in the carseats, but you guys are scaring me!! [​IMG]

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

2 pics to show the scene!

11. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

and the 2nd....

12. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Well-Known Member

Mine already have gone thru that phase lol! They've been horrible for several months and seem to be snapping out of it. Anyway I have this neighbor across the street who's home is decorated to the T. Its just perfect and she has TONS of stuff out. She has just trained them from day one not to touch. I alway just kept stuff up and away so I didn't go nuts. Anyway I took out xmas decorations and decided I was putting stuff out and they were going to learn not to touch. The first hour they kept trying and cried hysterically when they got reprimanded but now they don't touch! Burkely just walks by, looks and says PRETTY! So I'm sure we'll go thru some screaming when we put the tree up but I refuse to put up a superyard or not decorate. Should be an interesting experiment!

13. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Diane-- the pictures look great! I am sure the kids will be fine!

14. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

My reward for the stress of yesterday was that this a.m. when they came downstairs for breaky, they looked at the lit tree and said "ooohhhh" and pointed!! [​IMG] Score one for the MOM TEAM!

I am not having trouble now that everything is up and out of reach.

I have to get another superyard to use upstairs now so I can work out, but they have great resale value, so it'll be ok!