What activities are your kids doing outside of school?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by tinalb, Jun 17, 2013.

1. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know about where you live, but around here it is registration time for many activities that will start in the Fall. Luke is registered to play hockey and will play lacrosse again in the Spring of next year (just finishing up that season now). Lila is registered for ballet & soccer but is absolutely obsessed right now with gymnastics, so I am debating what to do about that at the moment. I am hesitant to make the huge commitment of time & money that gymnastics seems to require around here. I am trying to find an acro dance class for her for the fall to see if that would satisfy her obsession.

So, what are your kids doing for next year?

And maybe we could share some photos of the kids & their activities from this year!

Here are my two...

View attachment 6588

View attachment 6587

Attached Files:

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Mine do Jiu Jitsu, one's been doing it over 2 years, the other has been doing it a year. One of them has asked to do gymnastics so I may look into that for him too. Not sure if it will be too expensive.

Twins in gi's

Tournament Mine is in the white gi on the bottom, he won. The other twin is in blue behind him looking bored.

Alex doing his thing

3. tinalb

Aw, love those photos! They are both adorable!

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Both my oldest kids take karate year round.

Not sure if this facebook picture will work, let me know if it doesn't please :)

Karate class Sean is 11, he is the 3rd one from the left, then my husband, then the master, and then Kaelyn, who is 6. Sean is now red/white belt and Kaelyn is yellow.

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls are taking dance in the fall. And of course tennis as soon as they're old enough. (Since that's where I work.)

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boys do rec sports all year: soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, and baseball in the spring (although Marcus mentioned wanting to try lacrosse next year). They both do band through school, and as they are starting Middle School which has many clubs, they may try something there. The good news is that MS ends early enough, that clubs are out by 3:30, so they don't really impact after school homework time.

7. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This last year my girl did soccer in the fall and spring. They did a lacrosse clinic to get a taste for it. They did an hour and half gy,mastic class each week. As well as a hip hop and an acro class. I can't forget Girl Scouts.
    Next year they are still doing Girl Scouts, as well as a fall travel soccer team. Dani wants to try out for the competitive dance team. I just don't know if it will conflict with soccer. If dani tries out, I'm thinking of trying to get Sydney to try out as well otherwise I have no clue how I will get her to where she needs/ wants while taking dani where she wants/ needs to be.

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sophia has done dance this past year and T-Ball. She will definitely do dance again when it starts up in the fall, she absolutely loved it this year and had a blast with her recital (even though it's three shows in 2 days, it wore me out, her not so much).
    Luke did soccer in the fall (the league he played in wasn't very good, DH hoped that it would teach more skills rather then be a free for all and it was a free for all) and T-Ball in the spring.

Now, from what I understand, the school they will be going to has sports programs for kindergarten through the CYO (soccer, track, basketball, baseball)...so they will be signing up for a sport through there most likely in the fall.

9. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

All three do soccer in the fall. All three do basketball in the winter. The boys do baseball in the spring. My daughter has piano year round. My daughter does dance (tap and jazz) all school year, and one of my boys does dance (tap and hip hop) as well. This summer all three are in gymnastics, and one of the boys (the one who is not in dance) may continue with it during the school year.

10. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sarah does horse riding year round. This summer she's already done a riding camp and then an art camp at her school.

Timothy plays soccer in the spring and fall. He plays basketball in the winter. He has no tolerance for baseball in the summer, so we're letting him take rock wall climbing classes at the Y, and he's also going to do a fencing (swords) camp.

Marissa

11. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

We don't do after school camps, as the running around is too much for our family. The girl take horseback riding lessons on Saturdays from September through May, and then daily during their day camp during the summer break. With Middle School starting in the fall, who knows what after school activities they will sign up for, but right now it looks like Golf and Cross-Country.

12. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Ballet and horseback riding year round. They have been going back and forth about dropping ballet (just started their 6th year of ballet) and if they do decided to drop it I'll probably encourage tennis.

13. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

dance. they've been doing ballet, and this fall i plan to sign them up for ballet and another class (acro, tap or hip hop... their choice)... also swimming. i'd like to sign them up for soccer and tennis (they loved tennis), but dance classes here are so expensive, it sort of limits us. and we're not quitting dance ;)

14. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls are both in gymnastics (Kenna 12 hours/week) Josie (36-30 hours/week) that burns up a TON of our time. Our boys both did baseball this spring which was 2 games/week and 1 practice. Needless to say we ate out a LOT this spring and didn't do much else but sports. Now that summer is here my girls gym schedule doesn't change but no baseball!! The boys will do a baseball camp. Otherwise we are at the pool everyday!!!
    Here are pics of my kiddos

Josie
    Jack
    Mitch
    Kenna

15. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Abby did Daisy scouts from October till June, took an art class (my mom signed her up) from April to May, and they will both do junior cheer/football for the summer, and basketball in the winter (my son is turning into a hell of a basketball player!)...

I signed Ian up for a week long soccer clinic but it was cancelled due to lack of interest - neither of them like baseball, and Abby wasn't thrilled with dance (she danced for 2 years)...she LOVES cheer though and has asked a few times about gymnastics - she wants to learn enough to do handsprings and such for cheer - I don't see her getting into competitive gymnastics...

16. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

In the fall I am going to let them do two activities (at a time). Grace is set on ballet and tap. Lily wants to do soccer, so I'll let her do fall soccer. And she also wants to do jazz and hip hop, but she'll only do one of those until the soccer is over, then I will add the second dance class for her.

In the summer, they swim and do a drop-in gymnastics class. They are also doing a day camp for a week in July and Safety Town another week in July.

17. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Both of my girls will have dance in the fall. Allison could care less about any other sport besides golf. Sarah will be playing basketball and Volleyball....but both of those will be after Christmas for her age. I'm a volleyball coach for my middle school team and also will be assisting the Freshman team at the high school...Sarah and Allison attend all of the open gyms with me during the summer and Sarah will do the drills with the "big girls"....so I pretty much count that as her sport, too :D Allison could care less, which just breaks my heart, but she is who she is :). I think I posted a pic of Sarah practicing her serving on FB...she's so darn cute!

18. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

This year we transitioned from a gymnastics family into a Tae Kwon Do family. The boys switched in January with DD only occasionally joining us (yes me too) as it was too much for her with her gymnastics schedule. She had a career ending injury to her ankle in March though and now she is just doing the karate with us. She was supposed to do summer swim team but when signs up were about to begin she refused to dive for me so no swim this year. Other than that (which is 3-4 times a week), William has piano once a week. I guess DH has all the karate pictures on his phone as I cannot find them on my computer right now.

19. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Mine do one big activity during the school year and a few shorter ones.

Last year they swam year round...did a few one day or few week nature courses, a 4 week drama class, and once a mont Girl Scouts.

In the summer- they will be doing dance, swim (once a week), and a few nature & science classes.

I really want to preserve time to play....we try to make sure that 3/5 after school days are free to play or do play dates and during the summer a good chunk of each week (except camp weeks!).

20. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Allison does ballet, not sure if ZOe wants to do anything.

21. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Wow, you have to sign up for fall activities already??? I thought I was ahead of the game because I've signed Sarah up for soccer, but the season starts in mid-August and I was afraid I'd forget.

Anyway, this fall Sarah will be doing soccer and Amy will be doing gymnastics. In past years they've done two or three activities at a time (usually some combo of gymnastics, ballet, soccer, or swimming), but now that they're getting older the time commitments are twice a week per thing. So soccer and gymnastics is all we can handle.

I may also sign them up for yoga through the school. It's super convenient since it happens during a time when they'd be at the aftercare program anyway. But I still have to make sure it doesn't conflict with anything else.

I'd love for them to do music, Spanish, or theater, but we can't possibly squeeze it in. I can't figure out how people manage to do multiple activities during the school year!

22. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I went to sign mine up for fall soccer in mid May and had already missed the deadline.

23. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Mine did a 6 week Yoga class after school and LOVED it!! I suggest it, if you can get it to work!

24. tinalb

Yep, most registration deadlines for fall activities have passed around here. I did end up signing Lila up for an acro dance class along with her ballet. We have to go to a different studio for it, but I think she will love it.

25. Jennifer Jean

Jennifer Jean Well-Known Member

My boys just turned 8 last Friday and my smaller twin is very competitive and loves all sports. He is a competitive gymnast (his coach took a pic of him that looks photo shopped b/c he's so cut)...His brother loves to swim and just finished swim team. I want to find an activity for him to do during the year. He took a gymnastics class and he'll probably do that again this year.

26. Jennifer Jean

Jennifer Jean Well-Known Member

Wow! Your girls look great. Josie's back on the beam is amazing! What level are your girls? Nate is going to compete level 6 this year. I love watching gymnastics- so fun!!