what age did yo ustart taking babies out?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by healer27, Jul 28, 2010.

1. healer27

healer27 Well-Known Member

Hi, my girls were born at 34 weeks on may 24 which makes them adjusted age about 4 weeks. The doc in the hospital said wait 2 months before takign them out which i have and I'm pretty much going bonkers cooped up in the house every day. I reallywould love to to out just to babies r us or we have a carters outlet about 2 minutes from my house but am kind of nervous about peoples reactions and maybe trying to touch babies. Do you think its too early to take them out for a small trip now? (maybe hour or so?) Just wanted to get some other opinions..

thx.,

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I say if you are ready-GO FOR IT! Even just for a walk in the neighborhood, or in the mall. It's something! I am not sure I went out a ton when they were really little, only because at 2 months old, it was December and cold/snowy here. Was a lot of work to take them out! But once they were older-we were out and about. Honestly-I NEVER had anyone come up to me and try to touch them, or even look into the stroller. I honestly never made, or RARELY, made eye contact with anyone else. I just kept going. I also kept the covers on their carseats over them, so most people couldn't see them either. I do know there are some sort of signs you can purchase for the stroller, I believe online somewhere. Here they are: Signs

I also say-the more you go out-the easier it becomes!! Good luck!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh I waited all of 3 weeks before taking them in public; I waited a week before I was walking them around the neighborhood. They were 34 weeks 5 days. If you're ready, go.

4. healer27

healer27 Well-Known Member

Meagan,

I COULD KISS YOU SISTER!! I love those signs I am going to purchase some immediately. we have a HUGE family bbq (my husbands side) the middle of august. I've BEEN DREADING it becaue his family just does not seem to GET the importance of handwashing with little ones so these ARE PERFECT!!!! this will make it so much easier to reinforce the message.. Also I LOVE THE TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES sign for the house. We have a small house and we only have one living area/family room were we all hang out which is carpeted. Because of this and because my 3yo is constantly on the carperted floor I INSIST that people take off their shoes to help keep it clean, I think it annoys people but again this will be great. I'm so excited. (doesn't take much these days.) And I'm going to take the babies out. I have taken them for walks outside.. but not to any stores yet. thanks!

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:air_kiss: :give_rose:

Glad to be of some help! :) While you are out-go get yourself an iced coffee, or soda, or frappe, or something-FOR YOU! You'll enjoy it-even through the drivethru if need be! :)

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For your BBQ- when the baby-passing started, DH got out the hand sanitizer. We'd squirt down the whole group then spread out the kids. Most people were fine with it and those that weren't could either wash their hands or not hold the boys.

To the original question- I did not have preemies but did go out when they were 6 days old. Don't make eye contact and leave the carrier things up. You can also drape a blanket if you like over the shade so people can't see in. Of course, if you want people to stop you and look at the babies it can be fun, too. (The first 100 times! :laughing: )

7. RJ2006

RJ2006 Well-Known Member

We waiting till the girls were about 6 wks old, then went out about 1x per week! LOL. was more because it was just so hard to get out at that stage. However, when we did go out, I used the covers for the car seats and then placed a light recieving blanket over the cover (most of the time they slept). This would keep any coughing germs away and keep anyone from trying to look in. The most any ever did was smile and ask "twins?".

Looking back, I wish we would have made more of an effort to get out post 6 week mark b/c they were so portable at that stage, could sleep anywhere. At 6 months, you need to be tied to the house for naps 3x a day.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We took ours out in the stroller starting at 5 weeks (they were born at 37 weeks) -- it was December, but fortunately the winter weather here is pretty mild.

They also started daycare part-time at 6 weeks, which made the whole germ-exposure question somewhat moot. We rarely took them anywhere indoors, other than daycare, but that was just because it was a pain in the neck, not because we were afraid of them catching something.

9. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I did the same. Ours turned 3 months old yesterday and we are out all the time. i can't handle being cooped up so I'm looking for opportunities to get out of here! :)

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with everyone else.. if you're ready, GO FOR IT! Have a bottle of hand sanitizer at the ready if you're nervous, but you can go places that aren't crowded and avoid people. It's just great to get outside. Especially during summer while you don't have to bundle them up. They're also a dream to take out becaue they're napping all the time. We used to take them to restaurants quite a bit in the early days too.. no cooking for us, we'd just set their car seats next to us in a booth and they'd sleep quietly while we ate. It was awesome.. and it doesn't last very long :lol:

11. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

Ours were born at 34 weeks and we were told to wait until 4 months by the NICU doctor. At 2 months I asked again the Ped and he said going for walks around the neighbourhood were fine. This is what I did and boy did I need to.

Ours are now 5 months old and I take them out most days, but I will tell you some people just dont get not touching them. I turned my back for one second to tell my four year old something and a stranger had come over and was touching one of there hands. I think those signs are a great idea and wish I had got them sooner.

Enjoy your time out, it is so hard being in the house all day.

12. MyMayBabies

MyMayBabies Well-Known Member

Our girls were 35w6d. One spent 10 days in the nicu, the other (our 5 pounder, lol) came home with us. We were never told to keep either one home, so they were out & about with us right away! We went shopping, ran errands, did what we normally do and just brought them along.

Go out. They will be okay and you will feel so much better!!

13. talktomei

talktomei Well-Known Member

The day after I got out of the hospital, we took them to breakfast with us. They were 5 days old. They've been out quite a few times in the early weeks. Lately (5-6w) they have been getting fussy during outings, which just stresses me, so we don't go as much. I think it's because it is so hot outside and they get hot in their carriers.

We will be flying to Las Vegas when they are 9w old to visit with family. It will be in the latter part of August. Our families think we are nuts.

14. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 35 weeks and change and the doctor said to wait about 3 weeks before taking them out. I was chomping at the bit to get out with them because I had been on bedrest for almost two months so I think I waited about 2.5 weeks. It was glorious. They loved going for walks (still do) and so do I. It feels great to get some fresh air and exercise and even better if you grab a coffee on the way!! So get out there and enjoy it.

15. Deyra Mavrides

Deyra Mavrides Well-Known Member

Our twins were born in December - so the only viable option was to take them to the mall when they were little - no walks outside for us until almost spring.
    ANd if you recall - December was still the height of the whole H1N1 scare .... but i wasnt going to keep them in a bubble. I was careful that people didnt touch them - and rather neurotic about the hand sanitizer until they were about 5 months - but they started going out with me when they were about 4 weeks.
    The coffee shop, the mall, for a drive. I started to discover that nursing lounges are pretty high tech and decked out now! Couches and TV's - relaxing music. It became more peaceful than i thought.

I always said to myself that if i can't have a few moments for me -- how can i be 100 percent for them? And once you start going out, its a glorious break from the day for all 3 of you!