What age for bicycles?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by FirstTimeMom814, Oct 29, 2007.

1. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

What age do kids typically start using bicycles?

We are thinking of getting them tricycles, but what I decide on will depend on how long they will be able to use it for.

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We still can't peddle our tricycles Trish. I bought the kind that will grow with them, so they can use them for a long time!!

3. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

My kids can both ride the bicycles at our Mommy and Me class so we plan on getting them soon. We are done with Christmas for the kids. Maybe if Santa Nana and Santa Papa ask...

4. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Mine are finally figuring out the tricycles now - but can't seem to peddle and steer at the same time. I figure the tricycles will get us through next summer, and we'll invest in bikes after that. I'm a strong believer in NOT using training wheels, so I don't want to push bikes on them too early.

-Rachel

5. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Mine are short. We got them trikes at 3 (they will be 5 in December), and these can convert to a "big wheel" style as well. I personally don't believe in bikes until kids are tall enough for 20-inch wheels. Those little bikes are so fast, and so maneuverable, and cannot be seen over the hood of a car. Where I live (the whole city) we don't have sidewalks, and so my boys had to be 6 before they got proper bikes. We have had our trikes two years, and will get another year out of them at least, maybe a year and a half, since learning to ride a bike seems more like a spring or summer thing to me.

6. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

About 3 yrs. old. Mine have little trikes and they can't really reach the pedals yet either. My SD was 3.5 when she rode her bike with training wheels.

7. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

We also have the trikes that convert to big wheels and mine haven't quite figured out pedaling yet. I think we're going to hold off on bikes until they are 5. DH is a big cyclist and thinks they'll be ready then. He can't wait!

8. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Mine have just in the last month or so been able to ride their tricycles and pedal the correct way. I think we are a year or so off from a real bicycle with training wheels (though Katelyn keeps asking for a pink one!).

9. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I just ordered them some Kettler trikes with a pushbar. They don't know how to pedal yet so we are hoping this will encourage them. Plus they go up to 200 lbs so I'm hoping to get quite a bit of use out of them!

10. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

My oldesy was able to ride a trike at 20 months. Last year for Christmas he got a small Huffy bike with training wheels at age 2.5. This year he is going to get a bigger bike at 3.5.

Cari

11. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Mine started riding 2 wheelers w/training wheels about a month ago. Katherine has really gotten it and Philip won't be too long :)

12. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At 2.5 years old we took my oldest DD to TRU to get her a tricycle. She instead hopped on a 1o in. bike with training wheels and went riding around the store so we got her that one instead. Personally I would try a bike with training wheels at their age.

13. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Mine got tricycles for their 2nd birthday, but really didn't ride them until they were 3. They got bicycles with training wheels for their 4th birthday, but really haven't been real good on them until this summer. Now they are getting ready to loose the training wheels.

14. jwozy

jwozy Well-Known Member

Mine got tricycles when they were 18 months for Christmas and they have never really quite taken to them. We have the Kettler ones and I don't know if it's because they are heavier or what but they never really showed much interest in them. This year for their 3rd birthday we got them balance bikes (basically bicycles with no pedals) and those they absolutely love. My ds is really good at it and can run really fast and glide, and quite good at steering. What I was told was that after they master gliding they can skip training wheels and go directly to bicycles. I'm just really sad that our Kettler tricycles didn't get any use and are just collecting dust.

Attached Files:

15. SweetPeaTwinsx2

SweetPeaTwinsx2 Well-Known Member

Lauren and Madison have been riding little bikes with training wheels for about 1 1/2 months. They love them and refuse to ride on the big wheel type bikes now ( they used these for probably 2-3 months, they are big girls!! ;) ). These are all hand-me-downs from Abby and Lilly thank goodness, so we arent out any money!!