what age to give kids honey?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by rens, Nov 29, 2006.

1. rens

rens Well-Known Member

Hi wondering what age you gave your kids honey. Any specific reason you decided on the age you did? Thought I read somewhere to wait on honey but can not recall where or why. Am craving corn bread and what good is corn bread without honey... or what else too put on it if no honey?

-Kristi

2. rens

rens Well-Known Member

Hi wondering what age you gave your kids honey. Any specific reason you decided on the age you did? Thought I read somewhere to wait on honey but can not recall where or why. Am craving corn bread and what good is corn bread without honey... or what else too put on it if no honey?

-Kristi

3. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I think we were past 1 when they had some. They were sick and the pedi told us some tea and honey would help them. You could always call your pedi and they would tell you what the guidelines are.

Here is a link to an article:
    Honey

4. debid

debid Well-Known Member

My pedi's office gave the more conservative guideline of age 2. Apparently, there are a handful of documented cases of baby botulism in children over age 1. Of course, they could just as easily be exposed by shoving a dirt clod in their mouths... [​IMG]

So, I'm no longer worrying if there is some in the graham crackers or bread but I'm not giving it straight yet. I read that a baby cannot digest honey until around 2 years anyway.

5. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My pedi is very consieritive about most things (like no nuts till 3 - 4 years old). But I know that at 15 months, honey was fine.
    I still have not given my girls honey by itself. But they have had stuff with honey in.

6. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We were told after 12 mo., they could have honey. I was so confused reading your post. For some reason, I was reading Money and not honey and thinking WTH???? [​IMG]