What age to start allowance?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MLH, Nov 29, 2006.

1. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Isabel is almost 4 and I'm not thinking about starting to give her an allowance quite yet, but was wondering what everyone else is planning on doing. What do they have to do for their allowance and at what age did you start giving them one (if you do give them one)?

2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Isabel is almost 4 and I'm not thinking about starting to give her an allowance quite yet, but was wondering what everyone else is planning on doing. What do they have to do for their allowance and at what age did you start giving them one (if you do give them one)?

3. abbymarie

abbymarie Well-Known Member

My girls are about your DD age and we are going to get them savings accounts at our local bank here soon. They offer them free, give the child a piggy bank, and also have a change machine that they can bring their money on to deposit. =) I don't think that 4 is too young for this. We haven't discussed allowences yet, but the girls are already often given money (a dollar at a time) from uncles and aunts to buy ice cream. That's all they think money if for really. [​IMG] I want them to see the value in money beyond ice cream here very soon. Just thought I'd share.

4. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

Whenever you start regular chores, start an allowance. She's old enough to do certain chores - make her bed (won't be to your standards but who cares?) set the table - at least with napkins and silverware, sort her laundry into dark and light piles.

5. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

Friends of mine have a cool system where their daughter (started at 4 I think) gets a small amount each week and she has to divide it into 3 jars: SAVE; GIVE AWAY; SPEND. She can put any amount in the jars but SOMETHING has to go in all 3.