What are the "bad" plastic numbers?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ahmerl, May 27, 2008.

1. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I thought it was like 3,4, and 6, but I do not remember.

TIA

2. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

Huh?!

3. Alli Baby

Alli Baby Well-Known Member

I believe that you are correct: 3, 4, 6.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to say the same thing. 6 for sure, I'm not as sure about the others.

5. Sue1968

What on earth are "bad" plastic numbers? Also, why would 6 be bad but not 9 (which is the same number upside down)?

6. JenniferBrz

JenniferBrz Well-Known Member

I thought 7 was the worst... uggghh. I'm feeling like such a bad mom. How do I not know this?? And WHY have I not thrown then out?? Ah yes- because i don't know the numbers!!! Can't wait to find out. I KNOW someone here will know!

7. i4get

i4get Well-Known Member

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/baby/2008...by-bottles.html

In the meantime, if you are concerned about the presence of BPA, look for unbreakable BPA-free plastic, such as polyethylene, an opaque, less-shiny plastic (sometimes marked with recycling code 1 and/or the abbreviation PET) that does not leach BPA. Other plastics not made with BPA are high density polyethylene (2, HDPE), low density polyethylene (4, LDPE), or polypropylene (5, PP). Avoid those marked with recycling code 7, which includes polycarbonate, or the abbreviation PC. Glass is another option, but use with care to avoid breakage. If you’re making a switch and your baby misses his old polycarbonate bottle—babies are picky about which bottle they’ll take to—experiment with a different brand of bottle or nipple. That might just do the trick.

Safe numbers are 1, 2, 4, 5. "Bad" numbers are 3, 6, and 7 (because it can be a mix of the others).

Hope that helps! shannon

8. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

According to the report, 95-percent of all baby bottles on the market today contain the chemical bisphenol A (BPA), a synthetic estrogen, which has been linked to cancer, Alzheimer's, Down syndrome, obesity, diabetes, and developmental and reproductive problems. BPA has been shown in animal studies to cause "damage to reproductive, neurological and immune systems during critical stages of development, such as infancy and in the womb." The leaching problem becomes far worse when the plastic is heated to 80 degrees F or higher--and of course, it's a given that baby bottles get heated, so lots of leaching occurs. The report states, "Based on over 150 peer-reviewed journal articles on bisphenol A4, we conclude that the amount leaching from heated bottles is within the range shown to cause harm in animal studies and is therefore a health concern for infants."

....Just an explanation that I found when I goggled "bad plastic bottles" but I still could not find the "good and bad" numbers.

***opps, I was posting at the same time as Shannon - thanks for the info.!

9. Sue1968

Ohhhh! You're talking about the recycling codes aren't you? Now I get it!

10. Joanna831

Joanna831 Well-Known Member

I thought you were talking about those little plastic number magnets that stick to the refrigerator. :rotflmbo:

11. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Joanna831 @ May 27 2008, 07:09 PM) [snapback]796381[/snapback]
    I thought you were talking about those little plastic number magnets that stick to the refrigerator. :rotflmbo:

:rofl:

12. gregje101

gregje101 Well-Known Member

i remember clearly the other day on the TODAY show and 7 is really bad and did u know thats what Gerber uses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i checked everything while he was talking about it!)

13. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

Yup 7 is awful and the little gerber baby foods are in 7's. Oddly though gerber bottles are one of the good ones.

14. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

QUOTE(gregje @ May 28 2008, 02:13 AM) [snapback]796389[/snapback]
    i remember clearly the other day on the TODAY show and 7 is really bad and did u know thats what Gerber uses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i checked everything while he was talking about it!)

I noticed this last night while feed ing the twins green peas.

15. Stinkpea

Stinkpea Well-Known Member

GrrrrrRRRReat!! :fool:

16. gregje101

gregje101 Well-Known Member

i have been using Beach Nut anyways mostly 1. cheaper 2.they are in glass but they seem to always be out or prums so i end u getting gerber prums.

Wonder is they will do anything about it.

maybe we should bocott them and bring it to their attition, they should do what Platex did (send an 8oz bottle and liners) to let everyone know they are BPH (or what ever it is that bad) free, hummmm any one up for it?

17. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

CHEC website with more info:

In addition to PVC (polyvinyl chloride), also avoid using the following plastics with food, as a precaution: #6 PS (polystyrene) and polycarbonate (often indicated by the #7). These plastics have also exhibited the ability to leach questionable chemicals into foods they come into contact with, especially fatty foods and particularly at higher temperatures.

* #1 PETE or PET (polyethylene terephthalate): used for most clear beverage bottles.

* #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene): used for "cloudy" milk and water jugs, opaque food bottles.

* #3 PVC or V (polyvinyl chloride): used in some cling wraps (especially commercial brands), some "soft" bottles.

* #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene): used in food storage bags and some "soft" bottles.

* #5 PP (polypropylene): used in rigid containers, including some baby bottles, and some cups and bowls.

* #6 PS (polystyrene): used in foam "clam-shell"-type containers, meat and bakery trays, and in its rigid form, clear take-out containers, some plastic cutlery and cups. Polystyrene may leach styrene into food it comes into contact with. A recent study in Environmental Health Perspectives concluded that some styrene compounds leaching from food containers are estrogenic (meaning they can disrupt normal hormonal functioning). Styrene is also considered a possible human carcinogen by the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer.

* #7 Other (usually polycarbonate): used in 5-gallon water bottles, some baby bottles, some metal can linings. Polycarbonate can release its primary building block, bisphenol A, another suspected hormone disruptor, into liquids and foods. In 1998, the Japanese government ordered manufacturers there to recall and destroy polycarbonate tableware meant for use by children because it contained excessive amounts of bisphenol A. Other sources of potential bisphenol A exposure include food can linings and dental sealants.

18. Sylvarin

Sylvarin Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness. So now I'm wondering...what about pacifiers? They're made of plastic as well :-/

19. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

Here is a list of phthalate-free pacifiers

Here’s a quick reference list of non-toxic pacifiers:

* Natursutten Natural Rubber Pacifiers
    * The First Years: Soothies Silicone Pacifiers (including the Soothie Teething Pacifier), Safe Comfort, Ultra Kip, Disney Pacifier and Attacher, as well as the Soothie Pacifier Attachers (the Bee w/ Honey Pot Clip, Flower with Petal Clip and Penguin w/ Igloo Clip).
    * Vice Versa Binky w/ Case
    * Playtex: Binky Most Like Mother Latex Pacifier, Binky Most Like Mother Silicone Pacifier, Binky Angled Pacifier, Ortho-Pro Pacifier
    * Evenflo: Mimi Soft Touch, Mimi Premium, Mimi Neo One-Piece. Evenflo’s line of Vizion, Fuzion and Illuzion pacifiers have been redesigned to be BPA free. Please be careful to choose only the new pacifiers labeled as BPA free to ensure they are the new, safer version (thanks to ZRecs for this great info on Evenflo).
    * Gerber: NUK Classic, NUK Original, NUK Nautical
    * Hawaiian Medical: Gumdrop Pacifiers (contain a polycarbonate center, encompassed in silicone; read more below in our update)

What about pacifiers containing toxic chemicals? Here’s a general list of pacifiers to avoid:

* Avent
    * Gerber: Natural Flex, NUK Button pacifier, Gerber Round Soft Center pacifier, Gerber NUK Fashion Silicone
    * Evenflo: Vizion, Fuzion, Illuzion (only those not labeled as BPA free)
    * Munchkin
    * Sassy/MAM
    * Nuby
    * Razbaby Keep-it-Clean

Remember to choose silicone over latex, because latex pacifiers can contain nitrosamines, a known carcinogen (with the exception of Natursutten).

20. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite links for info on bpa & bpa-free products.

I was in Target the other day, looking for new sippies & couldn't remember which were safe......so I looked on the back of the Munchkin ones I was thinking about & there was an 800 #. I called on my cell phone & they were able to tell me they were in fact bpa free. Nice!