What are the tricks to mixing up powdered formula

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by [email protected], Jan 6, 2009.

1. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I've just stopped nursing and supplementing with ready-to-feed formula and have switched to powdered formula. It seems like I have a lot of clumps and foam. I'd like to mix up my ten bottles at night for the next day's feedings, 70 oz total. I'm sure there are some tips and tricks to making this easier and less foamy and clumpy. I've tried the blender and shaking up a large storage jug so far...

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I had a small whisk that I got from Pampered Chef that seemed to do the trick for us.

3. ginagwen

ginagwen Well-Known Member

I got these tips from my SIL: Mix it up in a blender then place in the fridge for at least 2 hours and all the foam will bubble out.

4. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

We have a pitcher that dr. brown's makes that has a plunger in it with a mixer attached. It works great. I think there are some other brands out there also which are similar. You can find directions on mixing a large quantity on the formula company's website if it's not on the can. I know Enfamil is one cup formula + one scoop + 29 oz water to make 32 oz of formula.
    Dr. Brown's Pitcher

5. bekkiz

bekkiz Well-Known Member

We bought 2 of the Dr. Brown formula pitchers, and they are AWESOME. I found them at BRU for about $15. No clumps, not a lot of air. They hold about 36 oz each.

Dr. Brown Pitcher

6. lionheart

lionheart Active Member

I use a whisk and a 4 cup measuring cup....I also heat the water up just a bit and that seems to get rid of the lumps!

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I agree, if you're going to premix, I'd definitely use a pitcher.

For us it wasn't worth it, as we found out that reheating it took longer than making a bottle from scratch.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

DH was our formula-mixer -- he did a big jug every night for the next day's bottles. He found that it was much easier if the water was quite warm -- then he would set the pitcher in a big bowl of ice to cool off quickly. Also, the foam settles if you let it sit for half an hour or so (in the fridge) before pouring the bottles.

We never had a mixing pitcher or anything -- he just shook the h*ll out of a large Rubbermaid pitcher with a tight-fitting lid. It was really hard for me when I had to do it, though -- my arms were killing me! If I'd had to do it all the time, I would have gotten a mixing pitcher.

9. TSJennifer

TSJennifer Member

We use a blender and mix up a batch.
    I do it in the evening before bathing the girls and put it in the fridge.
    Give the girls their baths, last bottle, and put them in bed.
    Then mix up bottles after the baths.

Or mix it up at night, and then put the pitcher in the fridge overnight.
    Pour it into bottles the next day.

If you let it sit a couple of minutes, it sort of separates from the foam, and you can pour sort of slowly, and the formula comes out from underneath the foam. Then you can get immediate bottles without letting the whole thing settle.

If I need to mix one and dont have any, fill up the water for one bottle..dump it in a little smoothie-blender, add the mix, mix it up and pour it back into the bottle.

Oh the things we go through to mix formula!

10. Jenniferliz19

Jenniferliz19 Active Member

QUOTE(bekkiz @ Jan 6 2009, 11:46 PM) [snapback]1136104[/snapback]
    We bought 2 of the Dr. Brown formula pitchers, and they are AWESOME. I found them at BRU for about $15. No clumps, not a lot of air. They hold about 36 oz each.

Dr. Brown Pitcher

I would not be able to live without my Dr. Brown's pitcher. I LOVE it!!! No clumps at all. I make 32 oz at a time & fill 6 bottles (the boys are drinking 5oz now) and then make another pitcher so that I have it on hand to refill the bottle after I clean the ones being used....it works out great.

11. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I would fill a bunch of bottles with warm water, then put the mix on top. We did 2 full day's worth at a time, so it was 16 bottles. By the time I finished adding the mix, the first had mostly disolved, and I would then put the lids on, give a quick shake and put them in the fridge for the next day. I never had a problem with clumping or foam.

12. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I also used a whisk first to get the clumps out in a Pampered Chef pitcher (similar looking to the Dr. Brown's) with the plunger in it.

13. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

I don't have too much of a problem, but we use the Tommee Tippe bottle that have the insert to hold the powder until you're ready to mix it. This way we can make them up, but don't have to reheat them. These are the inserts that go down into the bottles...milk powder inserts for tommee tippee bottles

14. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Braun hand blender - also I found that Enfamil was much more clumpy than Similac...and the kids didn't like the taste!

15. trudyhm@att.net

Thank you for the tips! I'll give them a try.

16. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would put a few drops of Mylicon in each bottle to take away the air bubbles. Seemed to work well for mine.

17. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Jan 7 2009, 07:22 AM) [snapback]1136357[/snapback]
    Braun hand blender - also I found that Enfamil was much more clumpy than Similac...and the kids didn't like the taste!

Ditto the hand blender, and good start is even less clumpier than the other two! :D

18. tburke75

tburke75 Well-Known Member

Ditto on the Dr. Brown's pitcher. It mixes formula great!

19. two4one2008

two4one2008 Well-Known Member

We have one of those stick mixers. It is fabulous. Just dump in what seems like an entire can or formula (Lol - jk) and put the stick blender in for like 30 seconds holding the high button. The foam settles in a matter of mintes.

:)

20. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

Warm water helps the clumps and gas medicine will immediately get rid of the foam (or just wait on it to dissipate).

21. nyckie024

nyckie024 Member

these were all great tips. im going to get that doc. brown pitcher

22. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Ditto on the Dr. Brown's pitcher - it is awesome!

23. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

I also have the Dr. brown pitcher, but I don't use it to mix my formula (I know I'm nuts). I use it to store previously boiled water. I didn't want to wash more items, the bottles are bad enough. So I purchase a wand mixer from BRU, and I make the max I can in a bottle which is 240mls, which is close to 8oz. I then distribute into more bottles. This way it's only the bottles I'm using and have to wash. Two bottles makes 3 for my babies. To reduce the foam and bubbles I use a few drops of Ovol.

I only make a few bottles at a time as I'm not sure how long the formula will keep in the fridge. When we go out I use "Ready to use".

24. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I didn't have a chance to read all the posts, so I apologize if this is a repeat...

I've noticed that we mix it in a plastic container, shake to make sure there is no powder sticking to the side and put in the fridge...in about 20 min the clumps seem to dissolve...we shake again then poor into bottles...I bought Dr' Brown's, but haven't used it, it doesn't make enough formula.

25. trudyhm@att.net

I picked up a Dr. Brown's pitcher and have used it the last few days and it is terrific!!! No clumps, no foam, perfect. It also pours very easily into bottles without making a mess.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!