What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by moski, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I've just started Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand. It's pretty good so far.

2. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have that on hold at the library. Can't wait for it. I love her books.

I'm reading Good Enough to Eat by Stacey Ballis. It's good so far. For those that are Jen Lancaster fans, she's the Stacey that she's always referring to in her books.

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Just finished Seven Year Switch by Claire Cook - really good, light, and quick read!

Halfway through Everyone She Loved by Sheila Curran - also a really good book!

4. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Really loving LEFT Neglected by Lisa Genova...it's quite witty...I can't remeber who recommended it, but thank you!

5. Mama_Kim

I really liked it. I usually love her books anyway. This was very good. Easy read.

I am now starting The Paris Wife by Paula McLain.

6. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

7. Mama_Kim

Let me know if you liked it, Maureen. I usually like her books as well.

8. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Reading One Day, which is a new movie with Anne Hathaway. Really good so far. About the evolution of a 20 year relationship, looking at only one day in their lives each year starting in 1988. Very interesting premise.

9. Mama_Kim

That sounds interesting, Rachael. Please report back when you're finished.

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just finished that a couple weeks ago. I really loved the way the story was told and thought the characters were very realistically flawed. I never really got why she was ever so hung up on Dex though, but that's just me. For a novel about a relationship I thought it was very good.

11. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I have to read 7 novels for my masters class that are middle school or high school age appropriate. They all have to be award winners. I just finished Finding Alaska and now I'm on Fever of 1793.

ETA: Just finished Fever of 1793....fantastic historical fiction novel!! Did not know about the yellow fever epidemic of Philadelphia in 1793, but wow, was it terrible! Great, great novel about a young girl and her life during this terrible time. At the end is provided some excellent history facts and discussions of many of the historical individuals mentioned in the book.

12. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

ooooh, Utopia, who else are you reading? and who wrote Fever of 1973? That sounds familiar. Is that LHA? Have you read any John Green. He's AMAZING. I don't know if it won any awards but I read Janice Hardy's books The Shifter and the sequel, Blue Fire. The thrid book in the trilogy comes out in Oct I believe. I LOVE Courtney Summer's books. Some Girls Are is INCREDIBLE. Also, if you have yet read Maggie Stiefvater's books (Shiver, Linger, Forever), you should check those out. For fantasy-Graceling is FANTASTIC!! If you need any other suggestions, let me know. I mostly read YA, but I read some MG here and there.

Just read, Siren by Tricia Rayburn, Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz and now I'm reading Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead.

13. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I finished the first 4 books of the The Secret Series
    Right now I am in the middle of The Hangman's Daughter-it takes place in Germany in the 1600's and focuses on a town Hangman and a doctor trying to prove a midwife innocent of accusations of murder and witchcraft. It's really good.
    Next up, I haveAn Idiot Abroad-the travel diaries of Karl Pilkington.

14. Utopia122

Yes, Laurie Halse Anderson, it was written in 2000 so not a new book. I'm reading The True Meaning of Smekday now and there's like a whole website devoted to this fictional alien nation. It was just named this year as an award winner, so it's a new book, but I can see it as a boys favorite for sure.

15. double-or-nothing

Is that MG? How are you finding the story/writing? Is it written in first person or third? Does it have a good voice and pacing?

16. Utopia122

Adam Rex is the author. I'm actually listening to it, it's first person and I honestly find the narrator a little annoying. Haven't gotten very far, only chapter 2, I'll update when I've "read" a little more.

17. jjzollman

Just finished Everyone She Loved by Sheila Curran.

About 150 pages into Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon - really, really good. http://www.jennifer-mcmahon.com/dismantled_78494.htm

18. double-or-nothing

Finished Vampire Academy-soooooooo good! Now I'm starting The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

19. Mama_Kim

Just started Starman by David Bowie.

20. jjzollman

Wow, Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon was REALLY good!

21. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I just downloaded this one based on this thread. Can't wait to start it!

22. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

One Day was fabulous. Really great relationship story with interesting "child of the 80s," "idealist young people growing up" tones. I laughed and cried and felt like smacking each of the characters at times, but ultimately loved them both.

23. jjzollman

I hope you enjoy it! It was intriguing and a really quick read for me!

24. Mama_Kim

Thanks for the review, Rachael. It does sound quite good.

25. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

I finished this one last week. Great book. I read "Don't breathe a word" first and now just want to read all of her novels.

I read Never let you go by Erin Healy
    over the weekend and it was a good story and a quick read.

I'm picking up two more Jennifer Mcmahon titles at the library this week.

This is a great thread! I've gotten so many great suggestions from it.