What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by moski, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Reading Duff McKagan's bio, It's So Easy and Other Lies.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow, since last check in I've read
    Voyager-the third Outlander novel
    Wool-a really weird book but it was 99 cents on Nook and apparently does have sequels so I guess the first book will make sense when I get chance to read them
    Quiet-The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. Loved that book.
    The Path to Power by Robert Caro, an examination into the early life and political career of Lyndon Johnson, who is not a very likable person.
    I just started Bringing Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel, it is the sequel to Wolf Hall and this one covers Thomas Cromwell's rise to power in Henry the 8th's court and marriage of Henry and Anne.

Gone Girl is on my list. There is a long wait in the library for that one.

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just added that to by ehold.

I'm currently reading Summer at Willow Lake by Susan Wiggs.

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Book #3 of the Game of Thrones series...Love It!!

5. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

Just finished Denise Grover Swank: Chosen series (Chosen, Hunted, Sacrifice, Redemption), now I'm reading Ella James: Stained. And my next will be "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just finished Outrageous Conduct by Stephen Farber and Marc Green-it's an old book about the Twilight Zone movie accident that resulted in the death of actor Vic Morrow (father of actress Jennifer Jason Leigh, I had no idea!) and two children. If you want a book that makes you angry, this one will do it. But it is a good read, well researched and they seemed to get many good interviews.

7. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I just finished Inferno by Dan Brown - it was interesting, but at times it felt like I was reading a well documented tourist guide with some side action. All in all, being that I love history and museums and old statues, I liked it, but his characters seem a bit robotic.

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Last non fluff piece I read was the last book in the Sookie series . It so didn't end how I thought!

I've read rush and fever by maya banks both better written than 50 shades of gray

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just finished Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol"- and have the new book on hold at the library.

Currently I'm trying to read Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" but it's kind of a bummer so I may start another book in the interim.

10. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's also eerily plausible...

I love The Handmaid's Tale - have you read it before?

11. cheezewhiz24

Maybe that's why it bums me out....

No, I did just read another of her books which didn't affect me nearly as much- "Year of the Flood".

12. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just finished book 3 of the Crossfire series and now I am reading Beauty from Surrender which is book 2 from Beauty from Pain...I read smut, lol!

13. ljcrochet

I'm reading 3 books right now
    my fluff book is Stealing Home by Sherryl Woods
    outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I had a hard time getting into it, then my loan expired from the library so I could only read it on my kindle (i have the wifi turned off).

I'm also reading A clash of the kings : game 2 in the game of thrones book. That is my bathtub book, only problem is I have not had time for a bath in a while.

14. TwinxesMom

The true book addicts read in the tub

15. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am currently reading A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy. Just finished Family Pictures by Jane Green. Both good books. I've been stockpiling books for my summer beach time.

16. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

A total dip into sci-fi territory here.

Re-reading: Robopocalypse by Daniel H Wilson

Reading: A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
    Various short stories by Isaac Asimov
    various short stories by Ray Bradbury
    Delusion In Death by JD Robb

I am incapable of reading one book at a time.

17. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Have you tried reading while blowdrying your hair? I find it to be a perfect time to read a few pages!

18. cheezewhiz24

Yesterday I read while walking down 6 houses to get the mail. A neighbor stopped me and was fascinated that I can read and walk. :lol: In elementary school I read a book between spelling test words.

19. TwinxesMom

I always read when I blow dry my hair!

20. ljcrochet

I don't blow my hair (in fact i might be one of the few people without a hair dryer in my house)

I remember reading the last harry potter book while pumping for my girls. Great way to pass the pumping sessions.

21. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

These have been around for a while, but they're fun books -- my fluff book for now.
    The Pink Carnation Series.
    The first one's called The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, the next is The Masque of the Black Tulip, I just read one called The Silver Orchid Affair. I rarely read series in order just take 'em when I find them.

22. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I read while blow drying too! Also while straightening my hair. I thought I was just weird. Glad to know I am not alone!

23. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

I just finished reading Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn. Kind of angry about the ending, but otherwise a very compelling story. I'm about halfway through The Night Circus and it's really enjoyable, just wish I could find a few hours to read it this week.

24. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just finished the Night Circus - liked it a lot more than I thought i would. A review I read suggested it bears a second reading, but I don't think that will happen.

Gone Girl is my shelf, but right now I'm reading World War Z.

25. 4lilmonkeys

I really am enjoying it, but it's kind of tedious with all of the back and forth. I probably will have to read it a second time eventually? As for Gone Girl, it takes everything you think you know and turns it on it's head. And then it basically makes you want to beat down the author. Kind of wish I'd been better prepared for it.

I might read World War Z. I want to see the movie, because I really like Mireille Enos from The Killing but I always (ALWAYS) read the book first. ;)

26. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is exactly how I felt about Gone Girl.

27. cheezewhiz24

And that's why I liked Gone Girl! It blew my mind and I thought it was great.

28. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

World War Z is a good read (I've read it a half dozen times). That being said, from what I've seen and heard the only connection the movie has to the book is the title. I'm still going to see the movie, just be prepared. ;)

29. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't see how any version of the movie could really live up to the book. Because of the way it is structured, if nothing else.

30. 4lilmonkeys

Well, boo. Stupid Hollywood. ;)

31. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

About halfway through Gone Girl...wow!! Awesome book!

32. TwinxesMom

Just started Kelly armstrongs new book Omens

33. cheezewhiz24

I'm reading a couple of books right now:

Looking for Alaska by John Green- it's fiction but it has a deeper thread about growing up in it. I like it so far. 

Out of Order by Sandra Day O'Connor- it's non fiction about the Supreme Court. I like the insider look at the people in the Court and the history of the Court. I don't always agree with her assessments of US History, but it's still good. :)

34. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Testing

35. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Finally! I keep not being able to post.

Anyway, I'm reading a great book called What Alice Forgot about a woman who gets amnesia and loses 10 years of memory. She doesn't remember her children or why she's getting divorced from the husband she adores. She is 39 and her last memory is her at 29. I can't put it down!