What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by moski, Feb 17, 2010.

1. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am currently reading Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan. It is so good.

2. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Just finished Hunger Games and am on to the next one! How have I missed this book! I love it!!!!!

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Just finished explosive eighteen by Janet evanovich. It starts out really weird for her books (been reading hers since high school). I spent the first half of the book trying to figure out if I was forgetting something from the last one because everything wasnt meshing well

Also read the guardian by sherilyn Kenyon. If you like her stuff it was one of her better books here recently

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I finished the Steve Jobs biography (excellent read, if you don't mind some of the technical stuff that's in there too) and I finally finished all Hunger Games books (depressing but well written). I am now reading, "Where Ever You Go, There You Are" by Jon Kabat Zinn.

5. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I have just finished rereading the trilogy after seeing the movie trailer when I went to see Breaking Dawn. It inspired me and I think it is fun to have faces other than the ones I envision for the characters. I cried in the same places and smiled too. Plus I always seem to notice a section that I may have breezed over in prior readings.

The best part for me is..."Do you love me? Real or not real? Real." :wub: :wub: :wub: I don't know if I got the quote exactly right, but I'm sure those who have read the books know what I am talking about.

6. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm reading Jann Arden's autobiography Falling Backwards. Its great. Even if you don't know who Jann is I recommend it.

She's a Canadian singer songwriter with some really iconic "in the moment" songs.
    Good Mother
    Insenstitive

7. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Thanks for mentioning this, she is one of my favorites! I'm really excited to read this, I had no idea it existed!!

8. moski

9. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just read Nora Roberts' latest "The Next Always" in a day. Loved it. I like it when she just does straight up day to day life books. (and the kids in the book are "real", not "romance book kids" - too advanced or too babyish) Just tried to put the next one in the series on hold (coming in March) but it's not up yet.

I like what shes doing in this series, like the last one, the other couples with books to come are fully realized parts of the story who know each other in this book. You get a chance to live with them before they are featured.

10. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I just started the book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close...by Jonathan Safran Foer. They are coming out with the movie soon I think. It's about a little boys' perspective of 9/11 where he lost his father.

He also wrote the book Everything is illuminated, which I really didn't care for. This one, I'm enjoying much more although I've just started it.

11. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just started vampire academy.

12. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I got addicted to these books and thought Rose was a total badass and was Team Dimitri all the way. I hope you enjoy the series if you read all the books.

13. ljcrochet

i'm already on the second one. I read the first one in under a day.

14. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

For me each book gained momentum and I was power reading through them. I am glad I found the series when it was completed or else I would have went through major reading withdrawals :laughing: .

15. ljcrochet

I had to borrow DH's ipad to read the 3rd book since my library only had the epub (i think) version not the kindle version.

16. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

So you are hooked too :ibiggrin: ? I would just avoid this new book release about the series VA Guide - new book. I got it after reading the description thinking there would be some more detail on the characters and series, but was very disappointed. I even left a kind of bad review, which I rarely do. It was just a Cliff Notes version of the entire series that seemed cut & pasted together and not the description given on Amazon.

17. kingeomer

18. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

19. moski

I put that on hold fro my new Kindle Fire at the library yesterday.

20. kingeomer

Maureen, I hope you enjoy the book, she is a riot!

I've read two Jen Lancaster books: My Fair Lazy, Pretty in Plaid (I love the Overdrive app on I Pad!!!). Right now I am reading selected essays written by Albert Einstein. Pretty good but it just reminds me how stupid I've gotten since I graduated school :faint:

21. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I feel like such an idiot. Watched this movie last night and as soon as I heard the characters names, Dex and Em, I realized I have read this book and really liked it. I had completely forgotten until the movie jogged my memory!

22. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just read When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman. It's about an eccentric family over the course of 30 odd years, focusing on a brother/sister relationship. It was an enjoyable read.

Half Blood Blues is next for my book club.

23. JandCsMom

JandCsMom Well-Known Member

Count me as a member of the idiot club, too! I saw a trailer for the movie and decided I wanted to read the book first. I went to Amazon to get it for my Kindle and, fortunately, there was a note at the top of the page saying I had already purchased the book. Still didn't remember it. I had to go into my archives, find it, and read the first few pages before I remembered it. And it wasn't that long ago that I'd read it... Yikes!

24. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. At first I didn't like it, I couldnt finish his first book, Everything illuminated, because it was to frustrating. But with ELIC, I found that if I just enjoyed the journey and wasn't spending a lot of effort to ''figure things out', I found I really enjoyed it. I also saw the movie, and felt they did a pretty good job keeping to the book, although I felt the movie was much 'neater'.

Also read Still Alice, thanks to you guys! Loved it! Although I have been walking around convinced I have early dementia!

I've just started Winds of War, and am really enjoying it...

25. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Body Surfing by Anita Shreve