What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by moski, Feb 17, 2010.

1. BaileyandMarleysMom

BaileyandMarleysMom Well-Known Member

I am reading Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules by David Sedaris. It is a collection of his favorite short stories and/or chapters from books. I really like it. A couple of authors/books I had already heard of, others I had not, but now I am really interested in reading more from most of the authors/stories I've read so far.

2. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this book! Her sing you home is also good. I had a very profound love/hate relationship with it, I highly suggest it.

I really need another book to read, so will take ideas out of here!! :)

3. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Bless the Bride by Rhys Bowen (It's the latest in the Molly Murphy mystery series) and The King's Speech.

4. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have that book out from the library to read next.
    I'm currently readingThe informationist by Taylor Stevens.

5. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I decided to read Go ask Alice again, a short read but a fantastic book.

6. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wonderful book - compelling as always.

I'm reading Game of Thrones - it's a slow start.

I just finished Exploiting my Baby by Teresa Strasser, a wonderful pregnancy memoir.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It does start off slow but it will pick up, I promise. Once it did, I had a hard time putting it down!

I am going between two books right. The Hunger Games and The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obrecht. I couldn't decide which one to read next so I am going between month.

8. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  9. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

I'm reading Game of Thrones too and I love it. I love how the author really puts modern personalities into the medieval setting. It's too bad that it's so un-kid friendly because I bet you Craig's twins would love it otherwise.

10. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

What a great thread this is!! :thanks:

In the past two weeks I've read --
    Lincoln Lawyer -- it was okay
    Hunger Games -- LOVED them ALL!
    The Help -- Great book!
    Water for Elephants (again) -- Love this book, seeing the movie this week.

I have a couple sample books I'm reading but not sure what to fully read next. Going to dig into the thread a bit more and make a list :)

11. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

The movie was only just ok too.

Two good ones that I've liked recently are Handmaiden's Tale and Alias Grace, both by Margaret Atwood

12. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

Oh and Tina Fey's Bossypants. Hilarious! Sometimes I just need to laugh and this book definitely helps with that.

13. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

I'm about to start reading my buddy, Jennifer Hillier's, book, CREEP. I haven't read an adult novel since The Host! I'm totally psyched to read this book. I actually won an ARC (advanced reader's copy). The book doesn't come out until July. Here's the synopsis:

Colleague. Lover. Killer.

If he can't have her...

Dr. Sheila Tao is a professor of psychology. An expert in human behaviour. And when she began an affair with sexy, charming graduate student Ethan Wolfe, she knew she was playing with fire. Consumed by lust when they were together, desolate and depressed when they weren't, she realizes the three-month fling with her teaching assistant has to end. After all, she's engaged to a kind and loving investment banker who adores her, and her life is about to change for the better. But when she attempts to cut the affair dead in its tracks, Ethan Wolfe won't let her walk away.

...nobody else can, either.

Ethan has plans for Sheila, plans that involve posting a sex tape that would surely get her fired and destroy her prestigious career. Plans to make her pay for rejecting him. And as she attempts to counter his every threatening move without her colleagues or her fiancé discovering her most intimate secrets, a shattering crime rocks Puget Sound State University: a female student, a star athlete, is found stabbed to death. Someone is raising the stakes of violence, sex, and blackmail . . . and before she knows it, Sheila is caught in a terrifying cat-and-mouse game with the lover she couldn't resist — who is now the monster who won't let her go.

14. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I just finally finished the Hunger games since I put it down to read sing you home and go ask Alice. I started it last night and was up until 5am reading it as I couldn't put it down!! Time to start the second one at bedtime although I am a bit hesitant to do so as I have to be up early tomorrow so can't stay up reading all night :laughing:

15. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Good luck...I was addicted until I got through all three books. LOVED them more than Twilight and I am a Twilight addict. I would tell myself one more chapter and hours later I would finish the book. I lived on a lot of caffeine those days :ibiggrin: . Now I have DH reading the books (he is on chapter 6 of the 2nd book in the trilogy) and he will make a comment and I have to ask him what happened where he is at in the book and then tell him wait until the next chapter because it just keeps getting better/more addicting.

16. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Reading the most recent book in the HOuse of Night series...Awakened. Kids at school just love these. They are so so for me, but I try to keep up with what the kiddos at school are reading.

17. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

18. Mama_Kim

Y'all know what I am reading right now. I have to say ST has the most fascinating mind. There really is a lot of noise in there! :lol: It reads just like you would think. ;)

19. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I'm reading the latest Sookie Stackhouse. I'd missed my favorite vamps, telepath, and two-natured. :)

20. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Me too! I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy and found Sookie waiting on my Kindle. Yeah pre-orders! I also have the new Jen Lancaster fiction effort.

21. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just picked up Barney's Version again after putting it down a few years ago. I think I needed to mature into Mordecai Richler because now I am enjoying it.

22. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Me too! I was texting my husband and told him that it was boring and I didn't understand what all of the fuss was about (I read on the bus while commuting) and sent him a text three minutes later saying, "uhhh, nevermind, got really good fast." I'm trying to finish it up, I have about 50 pages left, hopefully I'll be done by the time I get home from work today.

23. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I just read Something Borrowed...the book was awesome! I think we've all had a Darcy in our lives!

24. nateandbrig

Game of Thornes is next on my list... Right now I'm reading Rob Lowes new book and I just :wub: him.

25. kingeomer

I am looking forward to reading Rob Lowe's book. Right now I am re-reading one of my old favorites: Stephen King's The Stand

26. Mama_Kim

I was thinking of reading Rob Lowe's book too.

27. nateandbrig

Rob lowes book was wonderful! I loved it! I could totally hear his voice when reading it and he is just so funny and witty. I could have used more pictures :)

1 person likes this.
  28. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Water for Elephants.

1 person likes this.
  29. Mama_Kim

30. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

Just finished water for elephants. It was pretty good, I found the peak into what the circus was like in that era fascinating. Now reading Shogun by James Clavell. It is a historical fiction set in 1600 Japan. It is good, just very long. I get to read it for such short periods that I may never finish it!

31. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Finally got a copy of The Help! Been waiting for a month to get it and I haven't put it down since I got it yesterday (well, I have had to put it down while taking care of the stomach bug--yuk!). But already half way through it and it is fantastic!

32. kingeomer

I loved that book!

I am reading Manhunt by James Swanson (about the hunt for John Wilkes Booth following the murder of President Lincoln).

33. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to have to hunt down a copy of The Outsiders. It's all Siri's fault.

1 person likes this.
  34. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

35. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Shanghai Girls was great and so was her other book, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

I'm reading Bossypants, Game of Thrones and In Fifty Years We'll all be Chicks.